New Person Repotting question.

Ben Russenholt

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am going to stick mainly to this forum, as I have had Bonsai before but they have all been the garden center variety and all died on me.

I will be receiving a Podocarpus Macropyllus and a Juniper Nana in the next few days and they will both be 4" trees. I know that I probably shouldn't do much more then wiring until the trees have matured a little more then what they are now, but they will be in plastic grower pots. Should I find a pot about the same size in clay or terra cotta to grow them in until they are ready to be shaped and trimmed?

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I normally leave them in the nursery pots for a couple of years. No wire just water and feed. Patience is hard, but these little guys need to grow for a few years. OH and welcome to the nutery.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I hope you know how important taking pictures of your trees is going to become for you; in your persuit in bonsai. This simply means; bonsai is a visual pass time and sooner or later you will have to aquire a degree of competence in posting questions and responces to activities on this forum.

Ben Russenholt

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Vance, I don't actually have the trees yet, but I will definitely be posting pictures of them when they arrive.
BTW, I love the boxes in you Signature picture. I may be in touch, as I am going to try to raise the Juniper completely outside and I will need some desgn help on a winter box to keep it in.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm always available. However; this time of year you never know when I might disappear for a few weeks.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will be receiving a Podocarpus Macropyllus and a Juniper Nana in the next few days and they will both be 4" trees.

Those are both outdoor plants and well suited for your climate. If they come in 3 inch pots I am going to make a suggestion. Get 2 bulb pots, they are shallower then nursery pots but far sturdier then terra cotta in the winter. Go with 5 - 6 inch wide ones and slip pot the plants into a similar mix that they come in. Minimal root disturbance will be a priority but giving the roots a chance to grow horizontally for a couple of seasons will pay off down the road. ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom