New Pondo

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that is an amazing trunk! Thanks so much for posting the better photos.

I haven't tried grafting onto ponderosa, but I'm pretty sure I remember Ryan Neil saying he generally has a lower success rate when grafting JBP onto ponderosa (something like 50%? if I'm remembering right) than when grafting onto JBP. Has anyone here tried? If so, what kind of success rate have you had? I've got a couple of pondy's and they are small enough that the standard foliage is way too large/coarse, would look much better with JBP or perhaps Scotts foliage. But I haven't done much grafting so I have no idea what kind of success rate I might get.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, that is an amazing trunk! Thanks so much for posting the better photos.

I haven't tried grafting onto ponderosa, but I'm pretty sure I remember Ryan Neil saying he generally has a lower success rate when grafting JBP onto ponderosa (something like 50%? if I'm remembering right) than when grafting onto JBP. Has anyone here tried? If so, what kind of success rate have you had? I've got a couple of pondy's and they are small enough that the standard foliage is way too large/coarse, would look much better with JBP or perhaps Scotts foliage. But I haven't done much grafting so I have no idea what kind of success rate I might get.

Thank you! I've grafted one Ponderosa, it was the Sierra variety and not the Rocky Mountain. It was also growing extremely s
Outstanding Yamadori, glad to see it in your hands. The end result of JBP on Ponderosa can be a stunning show tree! Pass on my regards to Peter when you see him, please.
Can't wait to see this tree in five years, the change will be well under way!

@River's Edge
Thank you, will pass on regards to Mr. Tea.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

Not the most exciting update but, The tree is doing well, I'll continue boarding it at Peter Tea's house for the next few years. 13 of 20 Black Pine grafts have taken. Peter cut some of the Pondo foliage back to encourage the Black Pine to grow. My love will never waiver for this one:)
Capture.PNG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not the most exciting update but, The tree is doing well, I'll continue boarding it at Peter Tea's house for the next few years. 13 of 20 Black Pine grafts have taken. Peter cut some of the Pondo foliage back to encourage the Black Pine to grow. My love will never waiver for this one:)
View attachment 398819
13/20 is really good success rate for JBP on Ponderosa. Nice work, the cut back on the Ponderosa foliage will bring on the grafts nicely! Cant wait to see the progressions.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
boarding it at Peter Tea's house for the next few years

Out of elevation and climate concerns, I assume. Do you think it'll live more efficiently on the central coast when fully grafted?

My teacher keeps a ponderosa (collected by Scott at Lotus Nursery) here in the central valley near Chico, and he's determined to keep it's foliage. Three summers in and that has required some innovation to prevent the pot from overheating. First two summers were sketchy as fuck, but he's got new growth from this past summer. I'm not sure how many years it'll last before making a downturn, but he's far more optimistic than me.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
13/20 is really good success rate for JBP on Ponderosa. Nice work, the cut back on the Ponderosa foliage will bring on the grafts nicely! Cant wait to see the progressions.
Yes, Peter grafted it so he get's the credit. I do think that's pretty good. He grafted another one of mine and 8/9 took, I was blown away. He's definitely doing something right!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Out of elevation and climate concerns, I assume. Do you think it'll live more efficiently on the central coast when fully grafted?

My teacher keeps a ponderosa (collected by Scott at Lotus Nursery) here in the central valley near Chico, and he's determined to keep it's foliage. Three summers in and that has required some innovation to prevent the pot from overheating. First two summers were sketchy as fuck, but he's got new growth from this past summer. I'm not sure how many years it'll last before making a downturn, but he's far more optimistic than me.
Yes, from everything i've learned it should thrive when fully grafted w/ Black Pine on the Central Coast of CA. This will be the first Pondo with Black pine i'll keep at my house. If it doesn't do well, i'll continue to board the tree. I've collected Ponderosa, Jeffery and Lodge pole pine and successfully provided aftercare at my house, however after 4-5 years the trees start declining in health and must be moved to another area. It could be that my yard doesn't get enough of a dormant period over winter, or that the day/night differential temps are not big enough or some other reason.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, Peter grafted it so he get's the credit. I do think that's pretty good. He grafted another one of mine and 8/9 took, I was blown away. He's definitely doing something right!
And the something right involves quite a number of important steps over a longer period of time. It will be special to see the last of the remaining old foliage pruned away and the strong new growth remaining. Hope you are able to post an update at that time.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, from everything i've learned it should thrive when fully grafted w/ Black Pine on the Central Coast of CA.

I find that really interesting and hope you keep us posted on this project.

after 4-5 years the trees start declining in health and must be moved to another area. It could be that my yard doesn't get enough of a dormant period over winter, or that the day/night differential temps are not big enough or some other reason.

Same concern in the central valley. Not enough cold in the winter, but our day/night differential is probably bigger than yours on the coast and that may help us. I know a guy who keeps lodgepoles here with success.

Top Bottom