New pot for a Sylvestris?

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this little yamadori Sylvestris a couple of months ago.
It's quirky and a bit weird, but there's something about it that I just couldn't resist.

It was collected by its previous owner along the shores here in Norway some 5-7 years ago.
I have done nothing with it yet except some needle plucking and some tiny re-adjusting.
It is in need of a repotting which I plan to do this coming spring.

So I was wondering if you guys could give some opinions as to what type of pot I should choose?
Should I go with the one it has now? Something different?
I do like the current combo, yet something about it doesn't seem quite right...
I don't know...please help? :)

Attachments

• IMG_7236.JPG
    IMG_7236.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7238.JPG
    IMG_7238.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7240.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 65

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The tree is informal and has lots of curves. The pot is formal and very angular. I would go for a pot with softer lines and rounded corners. You may want to think about reducing the visual mass of the pot as well, though for a developing tree it's good to have the extra growing space.
Some people will respond saying it's too early in this tree's development to be worrying about pots. I personally like to do the later stages of developing a tree in a pot similar to something it might eventually be displayed in - for me it helps the image come together.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My initial thought was a slightly less formal, less angular pot. I was thinking a rustic round could be cool. Sort of a deepish nanban. The tree looks like it might want to cascade in the future, so you could always revert back to a deep pot if you take it that direction. Perhaps a crescent shape. It still looks good in the semi-cascade pot it’s in. Something more informal would make it more at home. Here are some ideas that I was thinking.

639CFFCD-E550-44D5-80B1-054BF963903F.jpeg581AAF38-23F9-430F-871B-C0F3F061FC9D.jpegB21EBE2C-2626-43A0-AD95-45D66D09777C.jpeg805587A3-64DB-49D1-9CAE-1A82FB4CCA10.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like the fem/masc characterics of the tree match those of the pot perfectly.
Same %'s to within 3% easy.

It's hard to find such a close match IMo.

A round pot will point to the round "overbended" branch.
Hell, a more square pot will do the same only from the opposite end of the spectrum, it will point away and make you look.

You'll be hard pressed to find a more appropriate pot IMO.

Sorce

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgive my late reply, packing up trees for winter consumed all my free time this past week.

Thank you all for your input!
Highly appreciated and you've all given me food for thought that's for sure :)

This business of matching trees with pots is a whole "science" of its own isn't it...
"Luckily" I have 5 months of winter to ponder some more ;)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Current combo looks good. #3 pot from top might complement tree well but too shallow;).

Top Bottom