New pot for kingsville boxwood

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m looking at this Sarah Raynor pot to replace the pot my boxwood is in. I was told this pot is on the heavy side, and this has a feminine trunk. I needed to find something more feminine. The dimensions are roughly the same, except for the depth. The pot I’m looking at is about a half inch shallower. Any thoughts?
ADCE0BF0-4663-49A3-A546-C39A8C114F19.jpegD1AFAC21-868E-4423-9039-4C93D745D97B.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use the pot. I think it is a lovely choice. Style wise your old pot seems heavier than the new one.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s definitely more feminine/less heavy than the current pot. Current pot is too deep for my taste. I don’t see any real big reason not to put it in that pot. Oval with curved walls is pretty feminine to me. Maybe the one thing that may make it look heavier is the style of feet.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s definitely more feminine/less heavy than the current pot. Current pot is too deep for my taste. I don’t see any real big reason not to put it in that pot. Oval with curved walls is pretty feminine to me. Maybe the one thing that may make it look heavier is the style of feet.
Agree with all of this except I don't think the feet are masculine. I think the added height adds an airiness, a lightness allowing more air to flow around the pot. All in all I think this pot has an ethereal feel about it. Yet it also has an earthiness to it, mostly due to the colors. It is a kind of heaven / earth connection for me.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think this discussion is a pretty good example of how subjective the terms are, and also how unproductive it can be trying to assemble a work of art that pleases everybody. Or anybody, for that matter.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I liked the feet..i thought it gave a feminine feel to it. Thanks for the input

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is good for inside a Shohin box.

But not stand alone, as in the "accent" tree outside of the box. It will gather too much attention then.

Inside a box, where the eye is being drawn to things left right up and/or down, you won't get stuck on it too much.
The look of already being on a stand that the "neutral" feet give it, is what is going to gather all that attention.

Next to a blue and white pot in a box, it can be on a stand, because the blue and white will draw your attention away from it. Off a stand, something less glaring than a blue and white can successfully remove the eye.

It can be the "stand out" in a box on a stand for that reason. But truthfully, that doesn't work for me.

And for all these complex reasons, I think there is a pot that might not be "better", but it can be more acceptable In Different scenarios.

This pot is nice, but limiting.

I hate the feet.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m looking at this Sarah Raynor pot to replace the pot my boxwood is in. I was told this pot is on the heavy side, and this has a feminine trunk. I needed to find something more feminine. The dimensions are roughly the same, except for the depth. The pot I’m looking at is about a half inch shallower. Any thoughts?
View attachment 312247View attachment 312248
You'd be surprised at how shallow you can go with Kingsville. I've got one in a 1/2" deep mame pot and another larger in an inch deep pot from Ron Lang. Have had them in shallower containers for years. I have also found they do better in shallower, not deeper containers...The one below is in the Lang pot...kingsville2.jpgkingsville.jpg

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'd be surprised at how shallow you can go with Kingsville. I've got one in a 1/2" deep mame pot and another larger in an inch deep pot from Ron Lang. Have had them in shallower containers for years. I have also found they do better in shallower, not deeper containers...The one below is in the Lang pot...View attachment 312360View attachment 312361
Thanks rockm.....Last year I was in a study group and the instructor said “it has a dainty trunk....it needs a dainty pot”. I was concerned about other things and hadn’t looked for a new pot until recently.

Top Bottom