New pot for Willow Leaf Ficus

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I need to repot my Ficus Nerifolia but I'm uncertain what size, shape and color to purchase. I'm thinking about a cobalt blue, rectangle, shallow pot about 18" wide. The tree's dimensions are 18" tall x 24" wide x 18" deep. The nebari is 8" and the root mass is 2-1/2" deep. Before I make a purchase I would welcome your experienced suggestions. Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

Attachments

• ficus nerifolia 3-5-2014 004.jpg
    ficus nerifolia 3-5-2014 004.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 118

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice Specimen - I am seeing that looking nice with your new choices, curious to hear what others think as well.

Grimmy

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would probably stay away from cobalt myself. I think a shallower and slightly wider pot would be a good choice. I like the current unglazed pot color, or maybe a cream. Nice ficus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love willow leaves in cream pots because it's so harmonious with the vivid green foliage. My choice would be an oval like one of the attached. Nothing too deep or course... and a third again wider than what your using for size. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Victrinia

Attachments

• 24y18a.jpg
    24y18a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 32
  • 16a18a.jpg
    16a18a.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 72f12a.jpg
    72f12a.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 20

rps

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
ditto, the second of victrinia's proposed creams --- shallowest & ever so slightly flared walls.
(straight walls would also work, if the pot's shallow enough)

agree with cream and unglazed as flattering homes for willow leaves, and would add oribe.

if you do elect to go with a rectangle, i'd recommend 'soft' corners.

nice tree.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought a muted blue oval would bring out the green of the foliage well. Something like this one.

Attachments

• th.JPG
    th.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 25
  • ficus nerifolia 3-5-2014 004.jpg
    ficus nerifolia 3-5-2014 004.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 26

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I finally found a decent pot for a good price. I think it looks much better now. I thank all of you for your suggestions and comments.

Attachments

• willow leaf ficus 6-8-14.jpg
    willow leaf ficus 6-8-14.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 63

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like the new pot. But I think I would like it more in the blue oval. But hey its your tree. And a nice one.

Attachments

• willowficus.jpg
    willowficus.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 32

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
To determine the length of the pot; it's generally about 2/3 the length of the trunk.
I personally like shallow, oval pots, for ficus. Creame and light blues are nice colors for glazed pots. Reds will accent the bark when its wet, and the new growth comes in red also. Red pots are hard to find though. Unglazed pots also look nice on these trees too. Just keep in mind, angular edges indicates a masculine pot, while smooth edges indicate feminine. I personally think the tree is trying to be feminine but needs a make over. I got chastised for calling one of my trees a hermaphrodite, on my blog, by a user here, so ya....

To improve your nebari, you should consider splitting and carving some of those thick roots to make them look more ramified. Putting it into a much shallower pot will also cause the roots to grow more laterally and ramify, another reason to go with a shallow pot beyond the visual look.

P.S.

You are probably going to find some thick chunky roots in the current pot. I mean, roots that are over an inch thick going straight down. Which can mean a few things.

A] You will find a larger spread than you though the tree had. At which point, chopping the top out and creating a shohin may be a route you may want to go. Root the top of course.

B] You will be thrilled to propagate these root cuttings.

C] You'll just saw right through them to fit the tree into a more shallow pot.

Or you may not, just remember, you live in Florida, you can remove every single root on that tree and it will be booming right back in 6 weeks. This is a Ficus, it will love you for cutting its roots off. Trust me.

Last edited:

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
To determine the length of the pot; it's generally about 2/3 the length of the trunk.
I personally like shallow, oval pots, for ficus. Creame and light blues are nice colors for glazed pots. Reds will accent the bark when its wet, and the new growth comes in red also. Red pots are hard to find though. Unglazed pots also look nice on these trees too. Just keep in mind, angular edges indicates a masculine pot, while smooth edges indicate feminine. I personally think the tree is trying to be feminine but needs a make over. I got chastised for calling one of my trees a hermaphrodite, on my blog, by a user here, so ya....

To improve your nebari, you should consider splitting and carving some of those thick roots to make them look more ramified. Putting it into a much shallower pot will also cause the roots to grow more laterally and ramify, another reason to go with a shallow pot beyond the visual look.

P.S.

You are probably going to find some thick chunky roots in the current pot. I mean, roots that are over an inch thick going straight down. Which can mean a few things.

A] You will find a larger spread than you though the tree had. At which point, chopping the top out and creating a shohin may be a route you may want to go. Root the top of course.

B] You will be thrilled to propagate these root cuttings.

C] You'll just saw right through them to fit the tree into a more shallow pot.

Or you may not, just remember, you live in Florida, you can remove every single root on that tree and it will be booming right back in 6 weeks. This is a Ficus, it will love you for cutting its roots off. Trust me.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I started this tree in 2000 from a small cutting and I'm too timid to make any drastic changes. I've killed more trees than I care to count and I would hate myself if I added this one to the list. But, I agree that it could use some improvement - maybe someday I'll find the courage.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I finally found a decent pot for a good price. I think it looks much better now. I thank all of you for your suggestions and comments.

Myself I like it although as others pointed out it is not the "norm". I rarely obtain any glazed pots and only have a couple ovals. My Wife does have ovals but all are not glazed... I am certain you will be pleased with it and that many others will like it as well ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom