New pot with uneven reduction effects

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm happy to share this pot I pulled out of the kiln yesterday. The red color comes from copper being reduced by the kiln flame. After playing with this glaze for the last year I dialed in where to place pots to get the desired reduction.

I think it would work great for a Japanese maple (in fall?) or a Chinese quince or princess persimmon. What's convenient is that both a right-facing or left-facing tree would work. Now I just need need the finished tree!

This is 18 x 13 x 3.5 inches

IMG_0778.JPG

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
That is a nice size pot with a beautiful glaze. Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Do you sell any of your pots? Please post a link to your website if you do sell your pottery.

Thank you very much, glad you like it. I am going to make a few variations on it to soften it a bit. Maybe round the corners or make it ovoid.

I do sell from time to time. My terrible website is https://tokutakebonsai.blogspot.com/

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should be proud of your work.
I like it. Others certainly do, also.

How does one buy your work?
Your web site doesn't have a store.
There is no indication of what you expect someone to pay for your work.
You accept commissions?

Gotta put yourself 'out there'.
You should put your work 'out there'.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
You should be proud of your work.
I like it. Others certainly do, also.

How does one buy your work?
Your web site doesn't have a store.
There is no indication of what you expect someone to pay for your work.
You accept commissions?

Gotta put yourself 'out there'.
You should put your work 'out there'.

That's very kind of you, thank you.

I mostly sell in person through my local bonsai club, but I do accept commissions, especially if the project is interesting or unique. I can be reached through the website contact form.
I will get a store set up soon. All the best

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's very kind of you, thank you.

I mostly sell in person through my local bonsai club, but I do accept commissions, especially if the project is interesting or unique. I can be reached through the website contact form.
I will get a store set up soon. All the best
very nice work. Love the sizes and glazes. Get the store set up!

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
New stuff from June. I welcome your constructive feedback but I'm not looking to make sales unless noted.

25"x18"x1" forest tray. This is a new glaze I developed myself. The dark patch was where the flame hit the pot.
IMG_1001.jpg

15"x13"x7" yixing style box with uneven reduction. The flame causes the red patterning, you can see it swirling. I made this for fun and I don't know if any tree could pair with it.
IMG_1011.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Nice job, I really like the red swirly one.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice!
I can see a bougie in this.

15"x13"x7" yixing style box with uneven reduction. The flame causes the red patterning, you can see it swirling. I made this for fun and I don't know if any tree could pair with it.
View attachment 311377
[/QUOTE]

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looked at you site and I am impressed. I really love the off white glaze, but I love all your pots.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I really love the off white glaze, but I love all your pots.
Thanks, I also love off-white glazes but you are the first to share that sentiment. I get a lot of requests for dark blue and green...

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Amazing work, very nice pots!
Congrats, and please keep sharing them here.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I also love off-white glazes but you are the first to share that sentiment. I get a lot of requests for dark blue and green...
I hear that. Most of the ones that I sell fastest are blue and then green.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Howdy, I'm happy to share this pot I pulled out of the kiln yesterday. The red color comes from copper being reduced by the kiln flame. After playing with this glaze for the last year I dialed in where to place pots to get the desired reduction.

I think it would work great for a Japanese maple (in fall?) or a Chinese quince or princess persimmon. What's convenient is that both a right-facing or left-facing tree would work. Now I just need need the finished tree!

This is 18 x 13 x 3.5 inches

View attachment 302159

I love this pot because of the attention to details. Separately, I love the glaze. However I don't think the glaze goes with the pot. The pot is extremely formal with sharp angles, flat surfaces, and small feet. Very masculine. However the colored glaze is very feminine. The two don't (in my opinion) work with one another. You would not, for example, put a Japanese maple in a formal angular pot like this. You would not take a formal Japanese black pine and plant it in a pot with this glaze (though the pot shape by itself would be perfect for a formal pine).

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this pot because of the attention to details. Separately, I love the glaze. However I don't think the glaze goes with the pot. The pot is extremely formal with sharp angles, flat surfaces, and small feet. Very masculine. However the colored glaze is very feminine. The two don't (in my opinion) work with one another. You would not, for example, put a Japanese maple in a formal angular pot like this. You would not take a formal Japanese black pine and plant it in a pot with this glaze (though the pot shape by itself would be perfect for a formal pine).
I could picture a formal Trident maple or hornbeam in this.

Top Bottom