New pot

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I recently traded a couple younger junipers for this pot, all in all I think I did good. I was told it is old, hand made, Chinese, and very well made. I loved the pot from when I first saw it, so even if it isn't true, I still like the style of this pot. Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• received_953933111673329.jpeg
    received_953933111673329.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 110
  • received_1362587727242907.jpeg
    received_1362587727242907.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 128
  • received_550720522391422.jpeg
    received_550720522391422.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 126

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, this is most likely NOT a made for bonsai pot. From the depth and single drain hole, I'd bet this i a drainage dish for a larger pot.

I've modified several of similar drainage dishes from large Chinese pots made in Sichuan. They drill pretty easily and can make really good bonsai pots, BUT they have to have more drainage...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think that the square/cross on the bottom is a good indicator that it probably comes from a mold. The drill hole is chipped, which means that it will have a hard time surviving frosts. That's not an issue in central FL though.
All in all, it is nice looking, but I wouldn't say it's worth a lot of money.
Now I'm a big fan of turning dishes into pots and using cheaper stuff (like candle holders) for pots, but I don't think it's very nice when people try to sell or trade it as something old and original.

With some extra holes it would make a nice pot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I made a ....sorta like... one out of a mica pot. Saber sawed it down.
Way more wavy as I cut but it looked pretty good.

A00Z_1_2014082511588086.jpg

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
FWIW, this is most likely NOT a made for bonsai pot. From the depth and single drain hole, I'd bet this i a drainage dish for a larger pot.

I've modified several of similar drainage dishes from large Chinese pots made in Sichuan. They drill pretty easily and can make really good bonsai pots, BUT they have to have more drainage...
There are certain types of pots made for a particular style of bonsai. Like this one. It is for rock formations where the tree is mounted to the rock and the rock just sits in the pot. I didn't get this from a random guy, this is from a reputable bonsai nursery, who I've dealt with for a while now. He said he purchased it in Chinatown in NY about 30 years ago.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
so then its a

and
So a pot isn't a bonsai pot if the tree is on a rock and not actually attached to the pot via wire...news to me...I always thought any ornate pot designed to house a bonsai tree/shrub in one way or another was considered a bonsai pot. I see what other members mean when they talk about the condescending members who deter new comers with their rules and stipulations.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So a pot isn't a bonsai pot if the tree is on a rock and not actually attached to the pot via wire...news to me...I always thought any ornate pot designed to house a bonsai tree/shrub in one way or another was considered a bonsai pot. I see what other members mean when they talk about the condescending members who deter new comers with their rules and stipulations.
I'm sorry. Your post #5 correcting RockM was rather distracting in a negative way.
Then Mike Corazzi in post 4 used a saber saw on mica. Obviously not how one would go about
modifying or making the type of pot you have. Good news though, as RockM said, it can be made into a bonsai pot.

What are the dimensions, and do you have anything particular in mind to call it home?

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm sorry. Your post #5 correcting RockM was rather distracting in a negative way.
Then Mike Corazzi in post 4 used a saber saw on mica. Obviously not how one would go about
modifying or making the type of pot you have. Good news though, as RockM said, it can be made into a bonsai pot.

What are the dimensions, and do you have anything particular in mind to call it home?
I trunk chopped a Chinese elm and in another year or so, I'm hoping it is ready to go into a training pot with the roots tied to a rock and once they are ready to be above the soil, I will put it in this pot. The dimensions I don't know exactly, but it is about 18 inches wide and about 2.5 inches deep and about 9 or 10 wide the other way.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I recently traded a couple younger junipers for this pot, all in all I think I did good. I was told it is old, hand made, Chinese, and very well made. I loved the pot from when I first saw it, so even if it isn't true, I still like the style of this pot. Here's a few pictures.
I'm betting on Viet Nam. I have several, but none with that particular crackle finish, which I happen to like, a lot. The slight concave interior makes it an inferior design for frost purposes, but I like that shape especially for forests. I would buy that pot... Hmmmm??

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm betting on Viet Nam. I have several, but none with that particular crackle finish, which I happen to like, a lot. The slight concave interior makes it an inferior design for frost purposes, but I like that shape especially for forests. I would buy that pot... Hmmmm??
That would of course, depend on price lol but having said that, I really like this pot.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're in FL which is a lot like Viet Nam, so it should last a long, long time regardless of its origin.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got one off Amazon 3 years ago....
Intended to drill holes, but haven't yet....
The old page wont pull up, but here it is in My Orders....and flash and no flash, against the wife's car.
Mine has a smooth bottom though.
Seems like a tough pot, doesn't feel cheap.
Screenshot_2019-11-22-20-52-45.png20191122_205513.jpg20191122_205448.jpg

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got one off Amazon 3 years ago....
Intended to drill holes, but haven't yet....
The old page wont pull up, but here it is in My Orders....and flash and no flash, against the wife's car.
Mine has a smooth bottom though.
Seems like a tough pot, doesn't feel cheap.
View attachment 271910View attachment 271911View attachment 271912
Do you remember what it was called? Like the type of pot or maker? Also if you don't mind, how much was it?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I still have a few of these old Chinese crackle glaze pots. They are very attractive. Mine are all quite old, some are over 50 years old. They are a very porous ceramic, which definitely means they will not be freeze thaw resistant. Some were originally trays, and had holes drilled later for drainage to change use to that of a pot. Some clearly had the drainage holes made before hard firing. Old but without makers marks and provenance usually mean old but not expensive.

These are nice, very useful types of pots. Old, well used ones develop a nice patina.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do you have any pics of yours?
I still have a few of these old Chinese crackle glaze pots. They are very attractive. Mine are all quite old, some are over 50 years old. They are a very porous ceramic, which definitely means they will not be freeze thaw resistant. Some were originally trays, and had holes drilled later for drainage to change use to that of a pot. Some clearly had the drainage holes made before hard firing. Old but without makers marks and provenance usually mean old but not expensive.

These are nice, very useful types of pots. Old, well used ones develop a nice patina.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I trunk chopped a Chinese elm and in another year or so, I'm hoping it is ready to go into a training pot with the roots tied to a rock and once they are ready to be above the soil, I will put it in this pot. The dimensions I don't know exactly, but it is about 18 inches wide and about 2.5 inches deep and about 9 or 10 wide the other way.
Nice. I almost bought an elm when I was on vacation...one of these days.
This is what I think Rock was talking about
DSC_3826.JPG DSC_3828.JPG

Plastic like, but similar size 18" long and 2.25" tall with shallow feet.
It was manufactured with 5 drainage holes, I added probably 8 more for wire.
If you were only hand watering your tree, and not in a rain prone area
a single hole just may be what the conditions need. If you ever were to drill this,
it would be best to have the underside perfectly supported with an even drillable wood base
to support a glass drilling bit like a circle with diamond tip is good. The wood will still support
the pressure of the edge as it comes through. A light continuous flush would be beneficial too. Clean.
DSC_3824.JPG DSC_3825.JPG
I believe these 2 pots are similar to yours but rather small so a single hole it is.
The oval had a black olive in it at one point in my past. If they had stickers on them, they're long gone,
but no stamps on either style. They would not do well outdoors here if in use.
The oval, why I pictured it, though only 8.5" L, has 2 drainage holes. I hope to have a maple in it one day.
Oh, and the in turned lip is definitely not good for freezing either.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are certain types of pots made for a particular style of bonsai. Like this one. It is for rock formations where the tree is mounted to the rock and the rock just sits in the pot. I didn't get this from a random guy, this is from a reputable bonsai nursery, who I've dealt with for a while now. He said he purchased it in Chinatown in NY about 30 years ago.
Jeez. I'm not insulting this pot. and no, I'm not talking about plastic. I'm talking solid, high fired clay.

Like I said, I've run across more a few of these, all from Chinese dealers. Bought six of them in large to huge rectangular sizes from a wholesale Chinese importer in Dallas back in the early 90s. Still have a few. He had STACKs of them in his warehouse, with all kinds of attractive glazes, including crackle like this one.

Drainage dish/plant pots usually sold in combination. He was well aware of the bonsai possibilities of the drainage dishes. Had him drill holes in some, as he had the equipment to do it no problem, as he regularly drilled other pots ("ginger jar" pots) to fit electrical wires for lamps. As I said, mine were Made in Sichuan province (dealer told me that was a primary source for export pottery), unsigned with similar kiln furniture markings burned into the bottom surface.. All well made. Frost resistant, but incurved lips are an issue. I would doubt this is a suiban for rocks. The way it is made--note cross support underneath--is very much in keeping with a large pot being placed on top of it.

FWIW, I would doubt the Vietnam origin. They tend not to high fire their pottery, from what I've seen.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Related image

Top Bottom