New PreBonsai Material Shipment Arrived

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Got these trees in from sequoiatrees.com a few days back and planted them the next day. I decided not to go into the ground or net pots with them and instead into these 3 gallons pots for now. I made my own potting mix using MiraclGro as a base and adding sand and perlite until I got the ratios I wanted - twice as much sand and perlite for the spruce and pine as I did for the maple and ginko. The trees appeared to have been allowed to grow in a cold, dark place for a while because as you can see (especially on the ginko and blue spruce) there is some pale, weak growth on them. I'm slowly acclimating them to the sun/outdoors and have them in full shade for now, and will slowly start to get them into sunlight over the the next couple of weeks to avoid burning the new growth.

The ginko has a great branch right at the base so I will try to double trunk it, and the JM already has a slight informal upright thing going on. I'm still trying to decide how to train the others, but I am thinking windswept for the blue spruce.

They've for sure got a long way to go but I'm excited to see how they develop. 20210513_200229.jpg20210513_181652.jpg20210513_181704.jpg20210513_200207.jpg

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Piñon pine died, it arrived with some fungus already on it near the base. I've got a free replacement on the way and I paid for a ponderosa pine to be thrown in with the shipment, they should get here the day after tomorrow.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I realize you didn’t ask for advice, but I’m gonna throw some at you anyway;). Maybe try not repotting these new ones you have coming. See how they do compared to the ones you did repot. There’s a real efficiency that evolves between a seedling and it’s container that can create an excellent growing environment for your young tree. The idea “bigger pot=bigger tree” seems logical, but timing, and just how much bigger is important. Also, the mix you’ve created is heavy, which can be ok, but can also leave the tree too wet, which can lead to fungal issues. I don’t want to assume you are new to this, but if you are, I would suggest you minimize your variables. (Ie repotting) This allows you to learn faster. I’m not saying you can’t repot, or that it’s bad, necessarily, just maybe try a different approach the next time and see how it goes. That’s my .02 cents. Good luck and keep us updated!

Also: I’m gonna assume the KU in your name and the hometown of Kansas City that you are a Jayhawker. Rock Chalk, my friend!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What mix are you using and
what is the container the roots are arriving in?
Last year I received some hinoki s in 2” pots which I simply put in the ground.
They wintered ok, but the ones I did not pot up quickly this Spring died.
Ive also ordered some hemlocks that came in a bag requiring immediate potting up out of season.
I put them in the ground, they died. Probably from being unpotted by seller then shipped.
This early in the game for the age of your trees, a slip potting to next size pot works best.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice! After potting these up a few weeks back and then having two straight weeks of rain, I'm pretty ready for the soil to dry out! It may not have helped the piñon but they are still way more wet than I'd like.

I've been reading a lot still and if I had the material and could go back in time then I'd go with net pots like I had planned to initially and would use a more "bonsai suited" soil than going with what I usually mix up for plants being kept in a greenhouse, since these are straight up outdoor plants and the only way I can control how much water they get is to move then under cover when it rains.

I wouldn't say that I "repotted" these when I got them, I simply washed off the dirt that was around the roots when I got them. They weren't bare rooted but they weren't in pots either. I am ordering some colander/net pots and better soil for the two coming in.

I'll update once I get them in!

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Aaaaand the piñon showed up with fungus once again. I ordered a copper fungicidal liquid on Amazon and it gets here tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

The ponderosa looks great, though!

Top Bottom