new prop station im enjoying

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
was having issues with some cuttings, miss one 2-step or misplay the weather and ruined a batch.

also was annoying the gf with unorganized props and plants in the breezeway on top of the recycle bins, etc.
so i got a 57"H wireshelf with casters for the breezeway. already feeling justified.

i have rooted fig cuttings here, hibiscus, bougainvillea, viburnum. some azalea and a quince but not sure on those yet. lots of tigerbark, because i cut my new S shaped into 7 pieces yesterday lol

i can roll this under breezeway, like today, where rain's forecasted all day, roll them out for an hr after work. can play sun/shade/rain with all these, and have everything together to mist them, etc.

stoking

20210622_075138.jpg
20210622_075202.jpg
20210622_075156.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's awesome. I think these indoor/outdoor wire shelves are great for growing with limited space, even if they are not as pretty as a nice wood bench. But I wonder what your experience will be with the stainless steel. I have steered toward painted wire shelving units because I figure they will have more rust resistance. What with all the watering we do!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's awesome. I think these indoor/outdoor wire shelves are great for growing with limited space, even if they are not as pretty as a nice wood bench. But I wonder what your experience will be with the stainless steel. I have steered toward painted wire shelving units because I figure they will have more rust resistance. What with all the watering we do!
i run an 82" one inside, black, had option for black or stainless with this one and opted for stainless to blend into vinyl siding more - was under the impression stainless steel would be mostly rust proof.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
was under the impression stainless steel would be mostly rust proof

Maybe. Resistance to rust is a function of the percentage of chromium present in the steel, and I imagine for things like this if plated then the thickness of the plating also plays a role. I don't know how much you spent on your shelving units, but I have a 5ft unit that I think cost me under $50. At that price point, I would guess you don't get a high grade of stainless. I could be proven wrong, though...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plastic.

I dig it though.

Organization is the key to Success!

Sorce

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good call, im not super concerned with rust but time will tell

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727YYPR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe. Resistance to rust is a function of the percentage of chromium present in the steel, and I imagine for things like this if plated then the thickness of the plating also plays a role. I don't know how much you spent on your shelving units, but I have a 5ft unit that I think cost me under $50. At that price point, I would guess you don't get a high grade of stainless. I could be proven wrong, though...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I got cafeteria trays, drilled
This station is basically just misted w rainwater 1 or 2 a day in summer now and turned out pretty fun.. Have to keep in mind the hibiscus like water figs do too but not overly. Some bougainvillea in there x 3 or 4 small leafs right now. A bunch of maples. Few azaleas that have little new buds showing. Tigerbarks

20210701_202033.jpg
20210701_202147.jpg
20210701_202700.jpg

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got cafeteria trays, drilled
This station is basically just misted w rainwater 1 or 2 a day in summer now and turned out pretty fun.. Have to keep in mind the hibiscus like water figs do too but not overly. Some bougainvillea in there x 3 or 4 small leafs right now. A bunch of maples. Few azaleas that have little new buds showing. Tigerbarks

View attachment 383950
View attachment 383952
View attachment 383951
You have some very organized cuttings. Well done.

Cafeteria trays are great. I also use serving trays from good will. The only down side is that the sizes dont always match.
Did you drill the bottom or the side of the tray?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You have some very organized cuttings. Well done.

Cafeteria trays are great. I also use serving trays from good will. The only down side is that the sizes dont always match.
Did you drill the bottom or the side of the tray?
Thanks. I drilled 1/8" holes in corners and middle. I don't think I'll be drenching these and its under a roof mostly.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
things are moving. i think most the tigerbark ficus and microcarpa.
definitely got some nice thickness figs and hibiscus going and its looking like two bougainvillea.
im going to make first bonsai hardcuts on the hibiscus and half the figs (some of those ill leave as options for fruit/garden tree
when i look to sell some of these). Ill make the cuts in the next couple weeks and then let them recover until
i move this setup into the garage for dormancy (maybe a tray of hibiscus overwinter inside my house)
then when buds swell in spring im going to put most them into 6" training bonsai pots and offer them to people
a month or so after that, when they start to grow.

im stoked on the maples on this shelf because they are starting to move w their true leaves and i think theyll all accelerate more,
i fed them conservatively yesterday

those eastern hemlock are yamadori and all doing well, wont repot them for a couple years

dont mind the mess, had wind knock a 4" pot onto one of the trays recently

20210716_100654.jpg

this is a larger fig cutting, chicago hardy, i think im adding this to my fruit trees

20210716_100251.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
hardy hibiscus, white flower, from a pretty large tree i cut down from 5' to 4"
will likely put this in a 6" trainer next spring and cut it down to shape more
damn things are growing flower buds already, might get rid of them soon to redirect energy
20210728_072230.jpg
20210728_072306.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a stainless steel table that has been outside about 7 or 8 years. This year I finally built a roof over it. No rust at all.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a stainless steel table that has been outside about 7 or 8 years. This year I finally built a roof over it. No rust at all.
stainless tables are nice! i saw some and regular steel when browsing for a workbench recently.
ended up w a craftsman butcher block 6' high table; metal ones are badass though.
the price on everything is wild right now!! paid $2.xx for a standard sized snickers today and $12 for a #1 at burger king recently,
metal tables like that arent cheap!! i browsed classified for something used but couldnt find anything, price of wood is still up there

Top Bottom