New Prunus cultivar?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Seems successfully narrowed down between nectarine and peach and I can confirm peaches to be fuzzy through the entire fruit stage even smaller than pictured mine are visibly fluffy even the tiny ones and these are obviously shiny and smooth so I think you're correct with nectarine

I do also have a nectarine but it is yet to fruit

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seems successfully narrowed down between nectarine and peach and I can confirm peaches to be fuzzy through the entire fruit stage even smaller than pictured mine are visibly fluffy even the tiny ones and these are obviously shiny and smooth so I think you're correct with nectarine

I do also have a nectarine but it is yet to fruit
Yes, the small fruit I picked shows the indent on one side and at the bottom comes to an extended point. Now I'm wondering how the fruit will taste.

How old is yours? They should start blooming and setting some fruit as early as 3yrs old.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will you be able to collect this tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Didn't realise i had a pic but you can see the fuzz clearly on this tiny peach.
They are basically new to me and the peach came in fruit cos we had an early warm spell and I was a little late

Managed to get a nectarine that hadn't popped its buds yet which has only just gone into leaf and as it is similar size im hoping for fruit on this too (if its not too late here) so hopefully will get flowers soon

The fruit seems to grow pointy before rounding out.

These are grafted onto dwarfing root stocks and I intend to keep them as fruit trees in containers which I will combine pruning with propagation for bonsai practice purposes. But obviously the grafting could speed up fruiting, but I count about 3 years growth from the graft point in terms of what we would call ramification

The ripe fruit will probably help narrow down the exact tree as there is variation on the inner flesh colour from white/yellow to red also my understanding on taste is that although you can ripen fruit off the tree it will only get softer and not any sweeter after removal as sweetness relies on the sugars from the sap flow so the longer they're left on the sweeter.

If you have a spare prunus stump with roots (maybe from an old air layer?) Maybe you could try grafting as well as some cuttings I have heard prunus to be very accepting (that tree of 40 fruits sparked my interest in prunus that led to me purchasing a few varieties to play with) and then later air layer off the branch if desired for bonsai or just possibly save the trunk growing years on a fruit bearing tree though I know this is slightly off topic and will stop about full sized trees and fast tracking impatient growing as I know 3 maybe 4 years is no time at all to wait in this game.

Attachments

• 20210511_143222.jpg
    20210511_143222.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Will you be able to collect this tree?
I will be taking some cuttings beginning of summer to graft onto rootstock I have growing here. At the moment I am grow 3 different rootstock species so I will be able to tell which will be better suited. After I get the grafts going I then plan to grow them on their own roots as well.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Didn't realise i had a pic but you can see the fuzz clearly on this tiny peach.
They are basically new to me and the peach came in fruit cos we had an early warm spell and I was a little late

Managed to get a nectarine that hadn't popped its buds yet which has only just gone into leaf and as it is similar size im hoping for fruit on this too (if its not too late here) so hopefully will get flowers soon

The fruit seems to grow pointy before rounding out.

These are grafted onto dwarfing root stocks and I intend to keep them as fruit trees in containers which I will combine pruning with propagation for bonsai practice purposes. But obviously the grafting could speed up fruiting, but I count about 3 years growth from the graft point in terms of what we would call ramification

The ripe fruit will probably help narrow down the exact tree as there is variation on the inner flesh colour from white/yellow to red also my understanding on taste is that although you can ripen fruit off the tree it will only get softer and not any sweeter after removal as sweetness relies on the sugars from the sap flow so the longer they're left on the sweeter.

If you have a spare prunus stump with roots (maybe from an old air layer?) Maybe you could try grafting as well as some cuttings I have heard prunus to be very accepting (that tree of 40 fruits sparked my interest in prunus that led to me purchasing a few varieties to play with) and then later air layer off the branch if desired for bonsai or just possibly save the trunk growing years on a fruit bearing tree though I know this is slightly off topic and will stop about full sized trees and fast tracking impatient growing as I know 3 maybe 4 years is no time at all to wait in this game.
I have a peach tree out in the back so I'm familiar with the small peaches being fuzzy as soon as the fruit begins to grow.

I'm also growing out some rootstock for another project.....Prunus persica (Nemaguard), Prunus ceresifera (Myrobalan), and Prunus americana. I have over 400 so I'll be able to set a side several to start this project.

The fruit that we buy at the supermarket is picked well in advance to semi ripen during transit. Then to fully ripen at the supermarket or at your home, but they are not at their sweetest flavor. The best way to eat most any fruit is to leave it to ripen on the tree/vine. For peaches you leave them on the tree to the point you can actually smell them when just standing at the tree. If you have never tasted a tree ripen peach......it's something you have to try before exiting this earth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
I spotted your tag line after dishing out obviously unneeded advice though it boosted my confidence when our posts about grafting crossed!

I hope to see updates of these in future as I am certain your results will teach me a lot and I really appreciate your humble and friendly response rather than being offended at my information thank you

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm excited about this project. It's not to often you drive down the highway and stop to look at a tree because it catches your eye. The flowers are spectacular, if the fruit tastes as good as how the flowers look......it's a win win situation.

It's always good to dish out advice. You might know something that I don't know and vice versa.

My plan is to take some cuttings to bud graft probably 3 of each of the rootstock I have. What ever of the cuttings I have left I'll use those as scions to graft whole. If everything works out I should have flowers next spring on the scions. I don't think the growth from the buds would be mature enough to produce flowers, those would probably be the following year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
That actually already helps i am hoping to experiment with grafting and trying both methods I am curious about the scion bud potentially being ready to fruit if it wasn't severed for a graft and how it may respond

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That actually already helps i am hoping to experiment with grafting and trying both methods I am curious about the scion bud potentially being ready to fruit if it wasn't severed for a graft and how it may respond
Peaches flower on 1yr growth (previous season growth), but I still think the growth from the buds will be too immature by the time the branches would/should be blooming. Remember the growth for the season starts right after the flowers drop which is early spring. When bud grafting in summer there's just not enough time and growth for the branches to mature. Also I wouldn't recommend allowing the growth from the grafted bud to set any fruit. The union at the grafting point is still weak. Probably after a couple seasons would it be strong enough to support fruit.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The flowers are spectacular, if the fruit tastes as good as how the flowers look......it's a win win situation.
I once tasted a fruit from a double flowering peach. Will not be going back for a second taste. Not all peaches taste good but I hope this one will be OK for you.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
About 2 weeks ago I passed by to have a look at the tree. To my surprise the tree was half dead! So I quickly took some cuttings and brought them home. I grafted them the next day and here we are today. The buds are still alive and I'm pretty confident they will take. If the buds are still green after two weeks and are starting to swell that's a good sign that the callus has started the healing process. End of August I will cut these back and force the buds to break.

20210805_144319.jpg20210805_144429.jpg20210805_144219.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I stopped by the tree the other day to check to see if it was flowering. I was surprised to see it was in bloom. This year it had two sets of flowers a solid pink and a pink with white around the perimeter of the petals. I'm curious if it will push out more flowers like this.

I also checked up on the grafts I did last year and I have one bud graft that is now pushing out growth. Hopefully I should see some flowers next year.

20220322_120806.jpg20220322_120754.jpg20220323_173352.jpg

Top Bottom