New purchase

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is what appears to be a second branch or root along the bottom. It is strange though because it comes out of the main trunk and goes back into the main trunk. I have never seen this.
There was probably more than one at one time and they were fused together to make the curvy trunk. That one probably hasn't fused with the main trunk yet or won't fuse with it until they are bound together.

It's a ficus so I wouldn't worry to much about losing leaves for the moment. The trunk looks like it could use a good cleaning but other than that it looks pretty cool. Nice find!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will try and let it rest a few days then out comes the tooth brush.
All the big wire was left on because it is not biting in yet. On the branches with foliage- there are deep bite marks.
I am actually ok with this. Like I said this one is tough and gritty with bites and scars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 53

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does copper rust?
It really does look like rust

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does copper rust?
It really does look like rust

Is that what the toothbrush is for?
Cleaning it?

It'll Probly work.

Home depot wire might rust. Lol
We were talking about how cheap their stuff is today, compared to supply houses.

I get a pinkish residue sometimes, it fades away.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok I took the wire off. It probably would have been ok to leave it on a little longer.
I have never seen a tree fuse like that- I guess I have with braided ficus. Do you think it was another tree or a root? Does it matter for growth? If I bind it would it continue to fuse? Do I want it to fuse?

Next question what kind of work do I do to it - eventually?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 54

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can't believe I forgot to say where I got it.

Nor did you tell us the species. I'm thinking Ficus salicaria (Willow leaf). Although the latin name is disputed. The story of this species of tree is interesting. As I remember it, the tree has never been reported growing wild. Seems to be a sport (mutation) of a nursery grown plant. I think a cold Florida winter caused the mutation. I should fact check my story of the tree. However I'm pretty sure that is what happened. That being said I'm not sure, science is sure of the origins of this ficus. Cool tree.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nor did you tell us the species. I'm thinking Ficus salicaria (Willow leaf). Although the latin name is disputed. The story of this species of tree is interesting. As I remember it, the tree has never been reported growing wild. Seems to be a sport (mutation) of a nursery grown plant. I think a cold Florida winter caused the mutation. I should fact check my story of the tree. However I'm pretty sure that is what happened. That being said I'm not sure, science is sure of the origins of this ficus. Cool tree.
Yes you are correct on the species.
It is my favorite.
It's pry the only species I'm comfortable that I won't kill off.
I have read that also before - that it was never found in the wild.
I am an indoor grower so this species is great for me.
I have 3 junipers at my moms but they are noting to brag about.- just nursery store stuff. Iowa winters are very drying.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok I took the wire off. It probably would have been ok to leave it on a little longer.
I have never seen a tree fuse like that- I guess I have with braided ficus. Do you think it was another tree or a root? Does it matter for growth? If I bind it would it continue to fuse? Do I want it to fuse?

Next question what kind of work do I do to it - eventually?
I would leave it for now but if it was mine I would probably remove it sometime in the future. The main trunk has taper so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe someone with ficus experience (i.e. Stacy, Redwood Ryan, etc.) will chime in and give some solid advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next question what kind of work do I do to it - eventually

Put it on a nice stand!
That's about it!

I would just concentrate on keeping it from being a ball at the end. Maybe a few pads, keeping in mind the branches should be as cool as the trunk!

Real nice!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Put it on a nice stand!
That's about it!

I would just concentrate on keeping it from being a ball at the end. Maybe a few pads, keeping in mind the branches should be as cool as the trunk!

Real nice!

Sorce

That is helpful- I can see how it could easily look like a ball. I will have to style accordingly- thanks

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Still doing well.
Will get this wire off in spring and rewire.
I wired this when I had not really wired before and this trunk is a “B” to wire.
Hope I can do better :)
Will also get this one outside this summer.
It has been indoors exclusively since it moved to Iowa.
7F9823A3-0515-4FED-B35C-5CDF79F4B399.jpeg

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why would you need to wire the trunk? It looks already set. The wire you used is too small to do anything and even if it were larger the angle you wrapped it at will not hold anything. I would only wire the foliage part of the tree and take the small spring looking wire off the trunk.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why would you need to wire the trunk? It looks already set. The wire you used is too small to do anything and even if it were larger the angle you wrapped it at will not hold anything. I would only wire the foliage part of the tree and take the small spring looking wire off the trunk.
The trunk was not set. I don’t know if it is set still??? I hope it is that would be great.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe I will want a new pot for this one. But what to even look for???

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A very interesting one of a kind to fit the tree. I would look for a TALL glazed in a color pallet that you love, mottled or even maybe one of the dragons in 3d that I've seen so much of these days. Good to see something from you again, hope you are well!

Top Bottom