New raw stock play material (spruce)

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Just picked up this raw stock material ( spruce),can't wait to start this project. So much dead wood carving fun to be had.base of trunk is a whopping 12 inches;)...hoping I don't screw it up, it has massive potential!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 339
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That's an absolute beast...I hope you have duplicate rolls of copper wire for this one;). If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this one? It's definitely not the typical stock we see here.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
That's an absolute beast...I hope you have duplicate rolls of copper wire for this one;). If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this one? It's definitely not the typical stock we see here.

Just came in at NE bonsai, its bonsai nursery stock from Oregon, that's all I know!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Just came in at NE bonsai, its bonsai nursery stock from Oregon, that's all I know!!

Of course, I forgot...February first is like Xmas morning at NEBG. I'd be there on the first, picking over every single tree they brought back east...you must have gotten there early:cool:.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Of course, I forgot...February first is like Xmas morning at NEBG. I'd be there on the first, picking over every single tree they brought back east...you must have gotten there early:cool:.

I got there early but just picked this tree up today, only a few trees really caught my eye. I wanted a project tree like this for deadwood carving. I prefer stock material over pre-finished bonsai!!

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a bonsai enthusiast by the name of Jason Gamby that used to post here a few years back. He was out in Oregon, this may be one of his trees. I remember at one point he did have a massive spruce he had pictures of.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice material. In order for this tree to not end up as firewood, it is best to follow the guidelines for spruce styling. These are..Major styling work such as pruning and wiring should be done in Fall, especially wiring. Repotting is done in Spring. Candle pruning, either pinching or cutting is done usually after they have extended and right before they harden off. This is usually around early summer or as the tree dictates. Spruces can be very sensitive to wiring and styling work so it is best to adhere to these windows. Now, I am not saying that you can't style in Spring. I believe Vance Wood does some of his spruce styling work in Spring, but I could be mistaken.

Rob

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Spruce 1st initial wiring.

Just picked up this raw stock material ( spruce),can't wait to start this project. So much dead wood carving fun to be had.base of trunk is a whopping 12 inches;)...hoping I don't screw it up, it has massive potential!!

It's first initial wiring is done for now, now into some dead wood carving and Jin work.I think once this fills in and is refined, it should be a nice tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 195

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice work.

Very nice material. In order for this tree to not end up as firewood, it is best to follow the guidelines for spruce styling. These are..Major styling work such as pruning and wiring should be done in Fall, especially wiring. Repotting is done in Spring. Candle pruning, either pinching or cutting is done usually after they have extended and right before they harden off. This is usually around early summer or as the tree dictates. Spruces can be very sensitive to wiring and styling work so it is best to adhere to these windows. Now, I am not saying that you can't style in Spring. I believe Vance Wood does some of his spruce styling work in Spring, but I could be mistaken.

Rob

It's first initial wiring is done for now, ...
If Rob is right...a possible oh-oh. :eek:

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice work.

If Rob is right...a possible oh-oh. :eek:

yeah I know, depends where you get your info from, I heard Fall and winter for wiring and repotting in spring. I have another little spruce that I have worked on in the winter and it did well. With that being said and the fact that this tree has been in this pot for a very long time, im hoping she will be ok;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeah I know, depends where you get your info from, I heard Fall and winter for wiring and repotting in spring. I have another little spruce that I have worked on in the winter and it did well. With that being said and the fact that this tree has been in this pot for a very long time, im hoping she will be ok;)

I'm hoping so too, esp with your previous good experience working around same time. :)

Good luck!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. Please let us know how the tree responds. I've read about not wiring spruces in the spring on several forums, but I asked one of our local "experts" and he said he wires his spruces in the spring.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It took me a little while, but I think I recognize this tree. This tree is not really new to NE Bonsai. It was there last year. I believe it was in a different pot. This tree had some reverse taper and was repotted into this pot maybe 10 months ago. Check it for yourself. Dig down about 2 inches and you will see the reverse taper. Also, with this being said, you might want to hold off on repotting since it was repotted relatively recently.

The tree should be ok even though you wired out of the time window. Simply because it has been so cold and our winters are so long. The main thing is that it does not get a major styling during the growing period. Also, beautiful first styling.

Rob

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
It took me a little while, but I think I recognize this tree. This tree is not really new to NE Bonsai. It was there last year. I believe it was in a different pot. This tree had some reverse taper and was repotted into this pot maybe 10 months ago. Check it for yourself. Dig down about 2 inches and you will see the reverse taper. Also, with this being said, you might want to hold off on repotting since it was repotted relatively recently.

The tree should be ok even though you wired out of the time window. Simply because it has been so cold and our winters are so long. The main thing is that it does not get a major styling during the growing period. Also, beautiful first styling.

Rob

I dont think its the tree you think it is, was told by Teddy that it was picked up by June on his recent trip to the west coast for material, this tree was bought in Oregon. Also, the roots are coming out of the drain holes and climbing over the edge of the pot.

Top Bottom