new roadside find

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Those roots are going to be a problem. The long, heavily barked exposed root, will likely have to be removed entirely.

Trunk is "pretty good"
Thanks for feedback. Yeah I’m going to cut it all up, cut off those large roots and leave it right where it is for a year. Come back next year and hope it’s better

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No idea what the species is but trunk is perfect
Any tips or suggestions???

From my limited, backyard, yamadori experience, those roots are gonna be a bitch (pardon my french). I would do some exploratory digging to make sure that there are roots close enough to the trunk and root base to keep the thing alive. If the roots are mostly extended out with those long exposed surface roots you really have two options:
1) leave it
2) try to force some closer root formation (which you've just alluded to, but I really don't know how that works so I won't try to comment on that).

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
From my limited, backyard, yamadori experience, those roots are gonna be a bitch (pardon my french). I would do some exploratory digging to make sure that there are roots close enough to the trunk and root base to keep the thing alive. If the roots are mostly extended out with those long exposed surface roots you really have two options:
1) leave it
2) try to force some closer root formation (which you've just alluded to, but I really don't know how that works so I won't try to comment on that).
i too have limited experience. Seeing that I don’t even know the species this is a very high level experiment honestly.
it sounds like we are on the same page. Thanks for taking time to share!

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i too have limited experience. Seeing that I don’t even know the species this is a very high level experiment honestly.
it sounds like we are on the same page. Thanks for taking time to share!

I'm not sure about the species either. From the traffic lights I can assume you're in the US, but its hard to say what kind of deciduous it is without the foliage. I thought birch at first but with it being on a hillside I find that hard to believe.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Hell I may even wire up that one branch that will be the new leader !

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ll update this thread with pics after I chop it and after it gets leaves so we will know what it is!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have permission to remove that tree from the landowner/local authority?
I dont think the local DOT would appreciate you removing a tree that is contributing to slope stabilization along that roadway.

Its also a bit large

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I cant find anything down in the metro.
Well if you drive past a tree with blue latex gloves on it
Do you have permission to remove that tree from the landowner/local authority?
I dont think the local DOT would appreciate you removing a tree that is contributing to slope stabilization along that roadway.

well forgiveness and permission are closely related

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well if you drive past a tree with blue latex gloves on it

well forgiveness and permission are closely related

That's bad juju. While I subscribe to the "government regulations are normally dumb" newsletter, in this area I see it differently. That being said, if you collect that tree and plant a handful of other soil retentive plants that can survive on such a slope at your own expense... my moral compass might swing back your direction. But don't half ass it. If that tree dies or the plants you re-appropriated die, you failed.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
That's bad juju. While I subscribe to the "government regulations are normally dumb" newsletter, in this area I see it differently. That being said, if you collect that tree and plant a handful of other soil retentive plants that can survive on such a slope at your own expense... my moral compass might swing back your direction. But don't half ass it. If that tree dies or the plants you re-appropriated die, you failed.

I have some bamboo that spreads like a virus and will grow anywhere.. I like your thinking! 3 years from now the whole slope would be fixed!

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some bamboo that spreads like a virus and will grow anywhere.. I like your thinking! 3 years from now the whole slope would be fixed!

Lets try native species to sooth your conscience. And bamboo really likes water-logged soil, but will "survive" in other places.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Lets try native species to sooth your conscience. And bamboo really likes water-logged soil, but will "survive" in other places.

good points. I’ll have to look around for something good for this slope.

Top Bottom