new roadside find

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmmm... I think we have that, too, but I didn't know what the name was. Bad weed if it's what I think it is. Likes ditches?
I see it on lower slopes of hillsides. Seems to like water but not in it as much as just above on the incline unlike say cattails, have seen it go pretty far up, probably west faces. Saw some early this week when got a hop hornbeam (still trying to figure out) and a hackberry with unusual broad wings. Native cane, think it once had many uses, often have thought to collect but never do...only gets 3-5’

them associate trees..in 5 gal cans, time will tell..not saying where there’s river cane there’s something I’ll collect, but I think it can be a minimally good indicator of a healthy habit around parts of Tennessee
BE7BA6CC-CF01-4430-A1C7-A2B4996B5601.jpeg

Attachments

• 08C0634E-0F1D-49F3-BF26-9C6B0536EEC0.jpeg
    08C0634E-0F1D-49F3-BF26-9C6B0536EEC0.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 1

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see it on lower slopes of hillsides. Seems to like water but not in it as much as just above on the incline unlike say cattails, have seen it go pretty far up, probably west faces. Saw some early this week when got a hop hornbeam (still trying to figure out) and a hackberry with unusual broad wings. Native cane, think it once had many uses, often have thought to collect but never do...only gets 3-5’

them associate trees..in 5 gal cans, time will tell..not saying where there’s river cane there’s something I’ll collect, but I think it can be a minimally good indicator of a healthy habit around parts of Tennessee
View attachment 286049
Arundinaria tecta
Slingshots
79E57B6A-5C50-4BFC-9D1B-BD8120A59F40.jpeg

Bonsai Obsessed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just my 2 cents, I have been experimenting with collecting so difficult species and have found that a year prior to collection taking a sawzaw and cutting around the specimen about 24inches out from the trunk will cut some of the larger roots and force some fine root growth closer to the trunks. By leaving it in Mother Earth for another Rae the shock on the plant is reduced as well. This technique has allowed me to collect some live oaks that otherwise would surely have died in the process. (Ps these oaks are all on my land and are seedlings that we’re allowed to grow in fence lines and bushes).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just my 2 cents, I have been experimenting with collecting so difficult species and have found that a year prior to collection taking a sawzaw and cutting around the specimen about 24inches out from the trunk will cut some of the larger roots and force some fine root growth closer to the trunks. By leaving it in Mother Earth for another Rae the shock on the plant is reduced as well. This technique has allowed me to collect some live oaks that otherwise would surely have died in the process. (Ps these oaks are all on my land and are seedlings that we’re allowed to grow in fence lines and bushes).
Those are oaks.
Elms are way tougher.
Siberian elms especially.
You only need about 6 fine feeder roots on the tree for it to recover from collection.
You can grow one by leaving a log laying in a wet area.
Oak will just rot.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like Leo said.
It's an elm.
A Siberian elm to be exact.
You can chop it to desired height and dig it up as soon as the buds swell. Even before but not too much.
I wash the roots off with a hose on these things.
And put them directly in a colander with Godzilla mix.
It will sprout buds out of the cuts so no need to cut it high.
I would cut it off so it looks like a slingshot and grow it towards a broom style tree.
It will recover like nothing ever happened.
I get 4 feet of growth the first year after collection.
They get angry I think.

Not only that, but you can cut the trunk straight with a horizontal cut, not paste it or anything, and within 2 months top you should see a bunch of buds sprouting from the exposed ring of cambium. Then you can start a broom from those.

Like this:

IMG_20180603_185547.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not only that, but you can cut the trunk straight with a horizontal cut, not paste it or anything, and within 2 months top you should see a bunch of buds sprouting from the exposed ring of cambium. Then you can start a broom from those.

Like this:

View attachment 286097
Exactly.
It's why I say chop them to desired height.
They will do that out of branch stubs also.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score

Like this:

View attachment 286097

This is really helpful!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hell I may even wire up that one branch that will be the new leader !
You mentioned leaving it in the ground. You will need to watch that wire closely. Because they grow exceedingly quicker in the ground. And it will leave wire scars if not careful.

Edit: Guess that didn't last long as a thought process. Never mind.

Top Bottom