New Rock Planting Idea

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve been working on the design for a new rock planting/sculpture. I wanted to make something that personifies the elements of individual trees precariously perched upon the sides of a tall karst formation as well as the esthetics of a mighty tree trunk with each plant representing the branches of said tree. It analogous to the drawing that, when viewed one way, it looks like an old lady and when looked at another way shows a beautiful young princess. If I achieve the desired effect with the stone, I think I’ll name it “Mirkwood” from LOTR fame. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!
MirkWood2.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks great! My only comment would be with the use of accent plants around the base of the stone. Stay away from grass (or other tall plant), since it tends to make your rock planting look smaller.

You would need to fill many of the stone hollows with soil, obviously, but I think that might actually help with your design, particularly if you use moss to help hold the soil in place.

Depending on your stone, you might find it interesting to have a stone jin stick up above your foliage, instead of having an unbroken dome of foliage at the top.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great! My only comment would be with the use of accent plants around the base of the stone. Stay away from grass (or other tall plant), since it tends to make your rock planting look smaller.

You would need to fill many of the stone hollows with soil, obviously, but I think that might actually help with your design, particularly if you use moss to help hold the soil in place.

Depending on your stone, you might find it interesting to have a stone jin stick up above your foliage, instead of having an unbroken dome of foliage at the top.

Very good feedback. The jin is a very interesting idea! I appreciate it so much!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would downsize the trees more, maybe go with a needle juniper instead of spruce/pine so that the scale will work better. Right now the trees have only foliage.
But it's an awesome design idea nonetheless! It would be nice to see how it turns out!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cool idea. Consider committing to one media as the apex. Usually foliage is never allowed to grow taller than a tenjin (dead apex), but a new apex can definitely grow above a Shari (dead section of trunk). They’re competing now.
Examples of the two different approaches:
B29DC30D-0C9D-4B71-84B2-5AEEBD753C57.jpeg9E247986-BF2C-491A-A83F-8DF6F746F52F.jpeg

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would downsize the trees more, maybe go with a needle juniper instead of spruce/pine so that the scale will work better. Right now the trees have only foliage.
But it's an awesome design idea nonetheless! It would be nice to see how it turns out!

Thank you! Junipers have the added benefit of being a bit easier to develop and maintain in a rock planting. I have a good resource for obtaining small Shimpaku.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve been working on the design for a new rock planting/sculpture. I wanted to make something that personifies the elements of individual trees precariously perched upon the sides of a tall karst formation as well as the esthetics of a mighty tree trunk with each plant representing the branches of said tree. It analogous to the drawing that, when viewed one way, it looks like an old lady and when looked at another way shows a beautiful young princess. If I achieve the desired effect with the stone, I think I’ll name it “Mirkwood” from LOTR fame. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!
View attachment 209447
Beautiful rendering. Is this a photoshopped photograph?

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool idea. Consider committing to one media as the apex. Usually foliage is never allowed to grow taller than a tenjin (dead apex), but a new apex can definitely grow above a Shari (dead section of trunk). They’re competing now.
Examples of the two different approaches:
View attachment 209451View attachment 209452

Okay. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting one of the two options below(?)

MirkWood4.jpg
MirkWood5.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you! Junipers have the added benefit of being a bit easier to develop and maintain in a rock planting. I have a good resource for obtaining small Shimpaku.
Man, that makes me jealous. Shimpaku over here is so scarce that cuttings can be sold for over 60 bucks a piece.
I think procumbens nana would work too by the way. They have this tiny-but-aged vibe to me.

Reaction score
Man, that makes me jealous. Shimpaku over here is so scarce that cuttings can be sold for over 60 bucks a piece.
I think procumbens nana would work too by the way. They have this tiny-but-aged vibe to me.

You should check out de Bonsaihut, last time I got there was this past weekend and Ron has got tons of good-sized shimpaku cuttings. Not sure if they have rooted enough to sell yet, but if you like I can ask him. They definitely won't be 60€ a piece.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You should check out de Bonsaihut, last time I got there was this past weekend and Ron has got tons of good-sized shimpaku cuttings. Not sure if they have rooted enough to sell yet, but if you like I can ask him. They definitely won't be 60€ a piece.
Where is this hut located? Maybe I can go there myself.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great Photo!
Im no professional, but have been working with making rock formations similar to Master Kimura. I am using a light weight cement and will build it up in layers, also making smaller shaped forms, and then cement them together. I have seen and done myself cement slurry over Styrofoam shaped pieces, again helping make it lighter. I have soo many different projects with bonsai and sometimes I start too many and get over whelmed.
But as other have suggested, foliage rarely would be seen as apex, and I will use junipers(shimpaku's) with mine. I have seen some great rock formations, which proportions are proper, and it makes a difference. another thing I have learned, is to always think in future, 10-20 years and how and where the tree will grow. just my opinion, and continue to experiment and learn as I go. great photo again.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you! I am currently working on the armature for this sculpture. I’m glad we share an interest. You can see some videos of my other creations by clicking the link below. Do you have photos of your work?

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you! I am currently working on the armature for this sculpture. I’m glad we share an interest. You can see some videos of my other creations by clicking the link below. Do you have photos of your work?
Those stone formations look incredible! Where can I find some tutorials on how to make them?

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those stone formations look incredible! Where can I find some tutorials on how to make them?

Look for the dvd, “Making Rock - Volume One” on Amazon (there is no volume 2). It’s a good starting place.

Top Bottom