New Salicaria

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Hey bn,

New salicaria, can't decide what to do with it. Thought about just trying to spread and drop the canopy and clean the trunk except for maybe two of the back buds. Or could totally reshape it like the crude sketch shows. Other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1981.PNG
    IMG_1981.PNG
    208.8 KB · Views: 54

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be focusing on the roots to start with, you'll be able to start several new trees from them. Mid-late summer is ideal time for repotting, you may also cut the top back at this time and wait to see where it buds. Ultimately I think you'll want a shorter tree than this already is. The upside is its a good piece of material to work with, as the root cuttings will give you more tree to focus on.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I would be focusing on the roots to start with, you'll be able to start several new trees from them. Mid-late summer is ideal time for repotting, you may also cut the top back at this time and wait to see where it buds. Ultimately I think you'll want a shorter tree than this already is. The upside is its a good piece of material to work with, as the root cuttings will give you more tree to focus on.
So you think use the roots above the surface as root cuttings? Would you trim anything along the side of the trunk now?

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you think use the roots above the surface as root cuttings? Would you trim anything along the side of the trunk now?
Exactly, the roots are much too long and messy to use. When you repot in summer just cut them back to a nice radial set if possible, all those cuttings will have nice bends in them already. They will sprout a hundred buds all around the cambium of the cut, let them grow out to 8 leaves then thin out all the shoots and find a design.
As for the rest of the tree, there is plenty of useable (?) shoots down low, so I would cut off the vigorous top and try to build some taper into the trunk.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, I kinda figured I would have to tame that bush at the top eventually..

Top Bottom