New school meets old school meets redneck training technique

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been testing out the pvc fertilizer technique on some trees this year after reading about it in one of Scott's posts. Nice thing about it is, so far no animals have dragged them off, whereas they often drag tea bags away.

Noticing more and more people using the technique in pictures posted on blogs, facebook, etc.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm glad folks found this little trick useful. I like to make things easy - perhaps it's a symptom of a deep-seated laziness problem. Here's a link to a thread where this is discussed as well as some additional information on fertilizing basics. I don't put any mesh on the bottom, just a plain old 1 1/2" PVC pipe cut into 1" lengths. If you have a problem with them being knocked around by critters, here's another little trick you can try...

IMG_4904.jpg IMG_4905.jpg IMG_4906.jpg

Scott

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dave is working his inner redneck:

“Hey yawl, hold my beer and watch this: I’m gonna balance this here antique Chinese tall vase on dis here used rotten pond basket! What could go wrong?”
No worries... the boy and his five dogs was asleep under the stand and the pot would surely land on one of them :D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did this get a big angle shift? I like this.
It did get a very subtle change in the trunk angle. I don’t know if this one is ever going to amount to anything, at least in my lifetime, but it’s it’s been fun so far, and I haven’t had to break the pot to work the roots yet?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another re-pot redneck style for this one is in the books. As the wee little tree gets bigger, it's getting harder to get the roots out of the vintage pot without either breaking the pot or totally mauling the roots... so it's days growing in this special training pot MAY be numbered. Any way, with the pine cone shoved under the trunk and the two rocks holding the roots in the pot, we are primed for another good growing season redneck style!

IMG_3839.jpgIMG_3840 (1).jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another re-pot redneck style for this one is in the books. As the wee little tree gets bigger, it's getting harder to get the roots out of the vintage pot without either breaking the pot or totally mauling the roots... so it's days growing in this special training pot MAY be numbered. Any way, with the pine cone shoved under the trunk and the two rocks holding the roots in the pot, we are primed for another good growing season redneck style!

View attachment 288104View attachment 288105
Oh, you saw that rock in my spruce pot and decided you had to have one, too?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, you saw that rock in my spruce pot and decided you had to have one, too?
No, not even close! My redneck pot has had stones placed on the top every spring for years to hold the roots in place... so now, who's copying who:cool::p.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, not even close! My redneck pot has had stones placed on the top every spring for years to hold the roots in place... so now, who's copying who:cool::p.
First thing Dav4, what a lovely maple you have here, better than any maple I have seen from Adair. I would love to see it in Asheville this June up close on the show floor. I saw a great cascade pot in Knoxville that would be perfect for it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First thing Dav4, what a lovely maple you have here, better than any maple I have seen from Adair. I would love to see it in Asheville this June up close on the show floor. I saw a great cascade pot in Knoxville that would be perfect for it.
It’s not near show worthy, yet. I’m sure it will be someday.

We would have broken that pot, I just couldn’t find my hammer! Lol!!!

Dave has growing conditions better suited for deciduous trees. I have full sun, so I tend to concentrate on varieties that prefer that.

That’s one of the keys to success with bonsai, by the way. Grow what will thrive in your particular microclimate. Trying to grow sun loving trees in the shade is a recipe for frustration and heartache. And vice-versa.

Top Bottom