New Scots on the bench!

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello nuts,
Just thought I would share the most recent addition to my bench.
This is a Scots pine that has been very well cared for by a retired city maintenance worker. It was started from a young seedling some 32 years ago. I do not have a clue as to the actual type of scots pine, but I'm very excited to do some work on it this fall. As you can see from the photos it was allowed to assume a very natural, low growing, scots pine look. I'm not sure how much of that feel I'm going to honor. I'd really like to see it with the foliage pulled in a lot closer to the trunk, and probably reduced by a good 50%(If not more.) Anyway, on to the photos.
For now I'll just enjoy and contemplate.

Scots-1.jpgScots-2.jpgScots-3.jpgScots-4.jpgScots-5.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lots of possibilities here, I can see many directions for this tree. Nice ramification! Have fun with it!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello nuts,
Just thought I would share the most recent addition to my bench.
This is a Scots pine that has been very well cared for by a retired city maintenance worker. It was started from a young seedling some 32 years ago. I do not have a clue as to the actual type of scots pine, but I'm very excited to do some work on it this fall. As you can see from the photos it was allowed to assume a very natural, low growing, scots pine look. I'm not sure how much of that feel I'm going to honor. I'd really like to see it with the foliage pulled in a lot closer to the trunk, and probably reduced by a good 50%(If not more.) Anyway, on to the photos.
For now I'll just enjoy and contemplate.

View attachment 24995View attachment 24996View attachment 24997View attachment 24998View attachment 24999

Put together a plan. Decide what are the good points and bad points about the tree, and determine ways of utilizing the good and covering up or eliminating the bad. I realize this is kind of like stating the obvious but there is a tendency to just start hacking on a tree without really knowing what is really important and what is not so much. I would start by reducing down the top in general and trying to induce back budding. Scots will back bud even on old wood if the tree is well fertilized and healthy.

Sometimes this is what I do with them and wait for the tree to give me ideas as it adjusts to the cut back. If you don't know what to do it's best you only do those things that will cause the tree to respond in directions that are in your favor.

Last edited:

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm terrible at virts but I can draw a triangle. I like the second to last and last pictures most, and the triangle I'm pointing out could be used for either. But back on the right side when the time comes and continue to grow the left side out.

Just my opinion. :D

Scots-5.jpg

**Edit: I hope the simplicity of my "virt" isn't insulting. I'm really bad at photoshop so I can't create anything worth posting. Triangles are easy to draw and can usually get a point across -- at least from what I've seen. I hope it helps. :)

Last edited:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if one of these two sketch-ups seems like a possibility... (or gives you ideas for something better):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scots-5-2.jpg
    Scots-5-2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Scots-5-1.jpg
    Scots-5-1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 160

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the first photo. It shows more balance.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like that first one if you pull the canopy a little closer to the trunk and leave a lot of branching on the other side for jins. You could maybe even jin one of those exposed roots on the right side to give the base a little flare. :D

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Lots of possibilities here, I can see many directions for this tree. Nice ramification! Have fun with it!
I'm finding that the abundance of possibilities is a good problem to have! Thanks Judy.

Put together a plan. Decide what are the good points and bad points about the tree, and determine ways of utilizing the good and covering up or eliminating the bad. I realize this is kind of like stating the obvious but there is a tendency to just start hacking on a tree without really knowing what is really important and what is not so much. I would start by reducing down the top in general and trying to induce back budding. Scots will back bud even on old wood if the tree is well fertilized and healthy.

Sometimes this is what I do with them and wait for the tree to give me ideas as it adjusts to the cut back. If you don't know what to do it's best you only do those things that will cause the tree to respond in directions that are in your favor.
Thank you for the advice Vance. I can appreciate the approach, a little more time spent to have even more possibilities arise, I like it. When do you find that scots respond best to this type of work for you?

I'm terrible at virts but I can draw a triangle. I like the second to last and last pictures most, and the triangle I'm pointing out could be used for either. But back on the right side when the time comes and continue to grow the left side out.

Just my opinion. :D

View attachment 25003
**Edit: I hope the simplicity of my "virt" isn't insulting. I'm really bad at photoshop so I can't create anything worth posting. Triangles are easy to draw and can usually get a point across -- at least from what I've seen. I hope it helps. :)
This was something that I considered right at the time I recieved the tree. I think the key to making that successful will be bringing that triangle in really tight and growing out from there.
I like the idea, but I think the tree deserves(not that this is at all bad) a different sort of approach. Something a little more ragged?

I wonder if one of these two sketch-ups seems like a possibility... (or gives you ideas for something better):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Which leads me to this! I really enjoy the first sketch, infact I'll take a scan of my sketchbook tonight, you nearly read my mind.
This is something that I think could really work for this tree.
Thank you for taking the time daygan.

I really like that first one if you pull the canopy a little closer to the trunk and leave a lot of branching on the other side for jins. You could maybe even jin one of those exposed roots on the right side to give the base a little flare. :D
Yes sir. I agree.

Well, if anything my mind has only become more clouded. A bit more observation is in order I think. We'll see what's left after the weekend :D

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
This wonderful blog isn't helping much either!
http://bonsaieejit.com/

Please take a look if you haven't already. Ton's of great information on scots and the like, and Ian is a pretty swell guy too!

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
The trunk is wrong for the reverse apex style in the first photo. See John Naka's books for an understanding of this. He points this out in a couple of drawings in one of the books (can't remember which one). If the bump on the trunk were on the other side it would work.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Nevermind my last post I think #1 is the best option for the tree, but you need to put a nice bend in the trunk. It looks still young enough to do so.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nevermind my last post I think #1 is the best option for the tree, but you need to put a nice bend in the trunk. It looks still young enough to do so.

Do you mean to say that a "reverse apex" is appropriate for this tree?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for taking the time daygan.

My pleasure. I truly enjoy trying ideas out and I find that it helps me to learn as well, because it give me the opportunity to see what sort of designs others like better and where my guesses might have technical or artistic problems.

Top Bottom