New scots pine

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a pine I collected last year. It is growing very vigorously so it might get a pot this fall, we`ll see. I can`t wait to dig out that nebari. There is something about the deadwood that evokes the imagination of the male visitors in my garden, go figure. Anyway, I am looking forward to styling this.
:)

Attachments

• Pine3.jpg
    Pine3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Pine3-deadwood.jpg
    Pine3-deadwood.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Pine3-deadwood2.jpg
    Pine3-deadwood2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 99

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Outstanding material!! What are your plans for styling?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Jan,
This is amazing yamadori.. I also saw your collected Hawthorne and Privet.. All truly amazing finds... Did you some how stumble across yamadori heaven..:).. All your collected material is magnificent...

Rob

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. :) I have no styling ideas yet, only thing I know is that i want it more compact.
Yamadori heaven is more like yamadori neighborhood. I collected the privet from next door and the hawthorn just up the street. For pines I have to drive for an hour or two :p
I dug out my own hedge this spring, 35 really nice shohin privets planted in 1937. :D

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another scots. It is 110cm (43 inches) tall. It stood on top of a mountain and had been broken down by snow and ice for a long time. It does not look like much in the pictures, but I have great hopes for it. It has great bark and lots of dead branches swirling around the main trunk. I see a tree with tight foliage pads and lots of deadwood.

Attachments

• Tall-pine2.jpg
    Tall-pine2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Tall-pine.jpg
    Tall-pine.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Tall-pine3.jpg
    Tall-pine3.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 90

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
VERY nice material! It will be great to see how you proceed with this. Lucky you!
G52

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Goddag Jan Olav,
I used to work for a company who's headquarters was in Bergen. One time I flew from Stavanger to Bergen in a small airplane. Altitude was low enough to see the ground clearly. Nothing but mountains and valleys as far as one could see. An occasional village in some very remote spots.

You have access to some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. I am sure there are tens of thousands of wonderful yamadori waiting for someone to capture them.

Please keep us posted on your adventures.

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, we do indeed have a spectacular nature in our own back yard here in Norway. The only backside to it is that people do not really see the point in having pine bonsai. A stunning maple is what rocks the boat over here. It is mostly the inner core of bonsainuts that get the point.
I just have to show you guys this one. It is a MASSIVE piece of wood. I carried it for 1,5 hours to the car. My neck was purple for a week. I know it is a bit on the imperial side, but I could not resist collecting it.:eek: This tree is OLD! I got the entire rootball and it is growing and doing fine. No plans on styling yet, just survival and recovery. Lots of love, water and care. I promise, none of these pictures gives this tree justice.
Any thoughts? :)

Attachments

• Massive-pine.jpg
    Massive-pine.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Massive-pine2.jpg
    Massive-pine2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Massive-pine-and-me.jpg
    Massive-pine-and-me.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 69

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
More very nice trees Jan, I think I would have spent the 1.5 hr. to lug that beast out of the woods too.

Top Bottom