New Seed Beds

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those of you who enjoy growing from seed, I am sharing pictures of my new seed beds. I built them about a month ago and the larger one, 8 x 2 feet, has about 400 Japanese Maple seeds in it. I have other seeds in the fridge but I just wanted to do a planting that fairly closely emulates nature. The beds are PT wood, 2 x 6 base and 2 x 4 lids. The bottom of the beds is covered with a very heavy duty landscape fabric covered by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This to prevent weeds and mice or other critters from entering below. The lids have 1 inch hardware cloth to prevent birds and squirrels and such from digging about. Also keeps out most falling leaves. The mix is about 40% coco choir, 40% professional growing mix, 15% fine pine bark and 5% perlite. These figures are approximate but it is a mix that has performed well for me in other grow beds. I put a bit of organic granule fertilizer in the mix, which I was able to do without concern as the beds are well protected by wire. They get scattered sunlight midday with late afternoon shade.
Time and cost are minimal.
IMG_4261.JPGIMG_4263.JPG

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@penumbra
I really like your work, looks nice and sturdy, and the hardware cloth base is definitely smart!

Have you used coco coir much? I've been
thinking of switching over to that from peat but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hate the finely milled peat moss every other company produces these days...

I used to be able to find a good chunky peat moss with some organic fines in it also, but the nursery where I worked forever stopped carrying it... I still have half a bag that I'm saving.

My go-to grow out soil is 50/50 peat/perlite, which has worked well for me, but I'm thinking of using a chunk coco coir instead of the peat. I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to get the coco out during repotting?

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@penumbra
I really like your work, looks nice and sturdy, and the hardware cloth base is definitely smart!

thinking of switching over to that from peat but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hate the finely milled peat moss every other company produces these days...

I used to be able to find a good chunky peat moss with some organic fines in it also, but the nursery where I worked forever stopped carrying it... I still have half a bag that I'm saving.

My go-to grow out soil is 50/50 peat/perlite, which has worked well for me, but I'm thinking of using a chunk coco coir instead of the peat. I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to get the coco out during repotting?
I have started this lifestyle choice using coco coir over peat, mainly because I think peat is heavier when wet. (I could be wrong)

I have repotted a cherry and an oak from coir and the soil hardly stuck in the roots. Mind you both trees didn’t have thick fibrous roots so that might make a difference. I also buy the compacted bricks. It might be different from loosely bagged coir

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@penumbra

I have used quite a bit of it. Some people don't like it but I think that is because it is different. It holds a lot of water but it never seems mushy like peat. It is finely milled like peat, at least the coco coir I am using is. If you are going to use peat you almost have to cut it with something. I use perlite too but not as much as you do. I use it for cuttings and seeds. I am going to keep using the coco in different ways. As I said, I like it but it is different.
I have not used one of the chunky forms of coco but I am sure I will. The fine I am using is much easier to wash or clean out than peat at repotting time. You really just need to try it. I understand a lot of cannabis growers use it. I can't speak of its efficacy from that stand point. :)

Top Bottom