New Seki Bonsai Willow Leaf Ficus

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Like a couple of others here, I picked up a little willow leaf ficus from Seki Bonsai recently. This tree has a neat deadwood feature running up the trunk -- I was looking for a little something different and I think I found it in this tree. I know, I know, ficus shouldn't have deadwood because it'll eventually rot through. I'm sure it will eventually and I'll deal with it then.

The major problem with this tree is that all the branches originate at the very top of the tree. In some cases there are 3-4 branches sprouting from one place. It's already causing some reverse taper there, so I'll have to cut out a decent bit of material to correct it. I plan on selecting only a few branches and getting rid of the rest. Hopefully this will spark some back budding along the trunk and I can build from there.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 56

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The first picture should be your front. Next, vigorously trim back the left side, then wire, wire, wire those branches down to horizontal so you start the spreading look of these kinds of trees.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad you're liking it. Jim has good suggestions. Keep us posted- always love seeing what people do with our stock!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad you're liking it. Jim has good suggestions. Keep us posted- always love seeing what people do with our stock!

I'm excited about its future. I'll keep everyone posted - I appreciate the great customer service!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool deadwood. I wonder how long it would take to rot. I'm sure you could get some back budding down low for more branches to be formed. Either cutting the top back hard or just letting it grow and build up strength. Keep us updated.

Reaction score
Unless you are going for a broom style. I personally would suggest that you remove
all but 2 branches... one going up to form the leader, the other off to one side.
I would then reduce these all the way back to the first leaf, or couple of leaves.

Reason...
All of the branches are coming from the same location.
There is too much energy being drawn up the trunk to produce growth further down.

Side note... if the pot it is in has a lip inside, you will need to repot and reduce
roots more often, so that the plant is able to be removed. If not, you will have to
break the pot to get it out.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Unless you are going for a broom style. I personally would suggest that you remove
all but 2 branches... one going up to form the leader, the other off to one side.
I would then reduce these all the way back to the first leaf, or couple of leaves.

Reason...
All of the branches are coming from the same location.
There is too much energy being drawn up the trunk to produce growth further down.

Side note... if the pot it is in has a lip inside, you will need to repot and reduce
roots more often, so that the plant is able to be removed. If not, you will have to
break the pot to get it out.

Yep, agreed. I removed all but two branches and removed all buds to induce backbudding down the trunk. I've eased up on water and have fertilized it well. With any luck it'll sprout in the right places.

The pot doesn't have a lip, so removing the tree won't be an issue. Once it's developed a little more I'll find it a wider and more shallow pot.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Probably the best move. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Slim

Seedling
Reaction score
Any updates?

Top Bottom