New serissa tree

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It won't hurt to prune and repot at the same time. Once it catches its breath from the root pruning, it will really explode with new growth. Right now yours has most of the foliage at the tips and the new growth will start there. If you don't prune it, it will lose its shape quickly. I would not hard prune it, at least until you get comfortable with how it grows, but at least go in and thin out unwanted branches and trim those that you keep back to a couple of pairs of leaves.

Oh, and get that moss off of the trunk, serissa has very thin bark. The moss will cause it to rot and kill that side of the tree.

John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be working on one soon and I will start a thread on it since there is so much interest in serissa. In the mean time, here is some history on it. In the mid 80's I got a serissa from the Monastery in Conyers. My mother, an avid gardener, asked for a couple of cuttings. I gave them to her and she put them in a glass of water. A couple of weeks later they had roots so she put them in potting mix and a pot. The next year they went into the ground. One is now a very large shrub/tree. She keeps it cut back to about 6 feet. It has been outside in the ground in Georgia winters for 30+ years. I dug up the second one two years ago and tossed it into a pot with only Georgia red clay. I intended to repot and trim it last year but I never got around to it. It has had full sun, zero fertilizer and no real care other than watering and it has flowered almost continuously.
please tag me on post

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It won't hurt to prune and repot at the same time. Once it catches its breath from the root pruning, it will really explode with new growth. Right now yours has most of the foliage at the tips and the new growth will start there. If you don't prune it, it will lose its shape quickly. I would not hard prune it, at least until you get comfortable with how it grows, but at least go in and thin out unwanted branches and trim those that you keep back to a couple of pairs of leaves.

Oh, and get that moss off of the trunk, serissa has very thin bark. The moss will cause it to rot and kill that side of the tree.

John
@Mellow Mullet thanks for the tips, ill prune tonight (put in water and root) remove unwanted and cut back what i keep. Potting will be thursday evening as im awaiting a pot to arrive. Any tips to get moss off ? Thanks

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet thanks for the tips, ill prune tonight (put in water and root) remove unwanted and cut back what i keep. Potting will be thursday evening as im awaiting a pot to arrive. Any tips to get moss off ? Thanks

I just use a chopstick to pick off what will come off easily and them lightly scrub with a toothbrush or water. Be careful not to scrape or scrub too hard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

John

Today is repot day :)

Freshman100

Sapling
Reaction score
The tree in the picture was styled by nigel Saunders. The bonzai zone. You can watch the progression of this tree on you tube. Styled like the African acacia trees. Love serrissa, mine has just lost most of its leaves after a repot. Hope it comes back.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree in the picture was styled by nigel Saunders. The bonzai zone. You can watch the progression of this tree on you tube. Styled like the African acacia trees. Love serrissa, mine has just lost most of its leaves after a repot. Hope it comes back.
I saw the video and it inspired me . I'm sure mine will drop its leaves at some point.

:)

dgratz00

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll be working on one soon and I will start a thread on it since there is so much interest in serissa. In the mean time, here is some history on it. In the mid 80's I got a serissa from the Monastery in Conyers. My mother, an avid gardener, asked for a couple of cuttings. I gave them to her and she put them in a glass of water. A couple of weeks later they had roots so she put them in potting mix and a pot. The next year they went into the ground. One is now a very large shrub/tree. She keeps it cut back to about 6 feet. It has been outside in the ground in Georgia winters for 30+ years. I dug up the second one two years ago and tossed it into a pot with only Georgia red clay. I intended to repot and trim it last year but I never got around to it. It has had full sun, zero fertilizer and no real care other than watering and it has flowered almost continuously.

Can you help @coachspinks me please. I got this and over the past 4 weeks since delivered, leaves are yellowing, then dying and falling off. Here are pictures as of today. Is this normal?

IMG_0670.JPG

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They can be finicky when their environment changes. Where are you keeping it? Where do you live?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It needs to be outside. They cannot live inside for extended lengths of time. Put it outside, keep it damp but not soggy and it should recover. It is not uncommon for them to drop a few leaves when they experience a move or change in location.

Freshman100

Sapling
Reaction score
Yours looks in better health than mine, this is after a repot. Sits on a south facing window in southern UK. It has now got some new growth after 4 weeks. They do recover well. But they are fussy.

Attachments

• 15581573019276133443243431884433.jpg
    15581573019276133443243431884433.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks awesome! I hope to get to mine later this week.
Its only just come to life and new shoots popping since repot, Very scary repotting something thats not a Elm haha

Wear do you get your from ?

Top Bottom