New serissa tree

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My first go round with bonsai was in the mid 1980's until the mid 1990's. I frequented the Monastery in Conyers and befriended Brother Paul. They had several old Serissas there and Paul let me take cuttings. This was probably 1988 or 89. I gave one of the rooted cuttings to my mother who planted it in her yard. It is still there. Over the years she rooted several more from her original and planted them in her yard. The one I dug up was in the way. I tossed it in a pot with some potting soil and have done nothing but water it the last 2 years. It stayed outside all winter and is currently covered in flowers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first go round with bonsai was in the mid 1980's until the mid 1990's. I frequented the Monastery in Conyers and befriended Brother Paul. They had several old Serissas there and Paul let me take cuttings. This was probably 1988 or 89. I gave one of the rooted cuttings to my mother who planted it in her yard. It is still there. Over the years she rooted several more from her original and planted them in her yard. The one I dug up was in the way. I tossed it in a pot with some potting soil and have done nothing but water it the last 2 years. It stayed outside all winter and is currently covered in flowers.

I believe Serissa are hardier than the forums suggest, mine has been repotted (late), prunned, and kept outside here for the past 2 months in night temps of 4C and day 8 - 14C. the forums say this tree needs to stay above 10C or go inside.

Mine has dropped 10 max leaves since repot.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My young serissas sat outside all last winter through -5C frosts (first winter with the species). Not really happy at the end of winter but now fully recovered and flowered well over summer. Waiting to see how they go this winter.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the ground the Chinese Serissa is rated for zone 7, as a hedge in
China.
See IBC for Carl Rosner maybe 2010 or earlier for the serissa [ Japanese ]
in the ground, New Jersey.

In the pot - ask Mellow Mullet.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom