New Shimpaku from Chikugo-En

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Greetings,

Went to Chikugo-En nursery in Los Angeles area this past weekend. Met and talked to Gary for the first time. Very nice gentleman. Anyways, I picked up this shimpaku from him. I plan to study the tree and will wait to repot and perform any major work next Spring. In the mean time, I thought I'd sent some pictures and asking for suggestions on styling/work to be done on it. The second picture represents possible front of the tree.

Thanks, Vince

top.jpg
front.jpg
right.jpg
rear.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree. It obviously wants to be an informal upright, and that's where I'd go with it. It's impossible to comment any further as the branching is hidden by the full canopy. I might do some light pruning to open it up a bit, basically removing any foliage growing directly down off of branches, and thinning out some of the more dense areas, then see what you have. Take your time. Good luck with it,

Dave

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi welcome.

Look at picture four. Take a look at the color of the foliage at the very bottom and the color at the top. If you intend to keep those lower branches then a thinning of the top will need to be done soon. Otherwise those branches down low are goners. They are already thinnly foliaged and weak. These junipers are apically dominate and will continue to grow up and get weaker below.

Good luck with this one,
AJK

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best time to wire is late fall/winter.

The best time to make Jin is spring.

Plan your work accordingly.

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure if it's obvious or much different, but I did the first trimming today. I left the lowest branch alone and pruned everything else down a bit. In all, I think I took off about 10%. I err on the side on caution as this is my first shimpaku and I dont even have it a full week yet.

Thanks, Vince

after 1st trim.jpg

PS: I have to learn to take better picture :eek:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure to check and treat for spider mites. They are my worst juni problem. I suggest tree before you have them at least once a month before the problem arises.

Top Bottom