New Shimpaku starters. Next step?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Just got these little guys that were from a cutting. I know they need to grow but I also see they’re just kinda straight. When do I try and twist them for the future? Not sure what size pot is too big either. I was thinking about putting them in about a 8x4 pot for a few years. Thanks for the advice

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks but I’m still looking for advice lol

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Need to decide what size bonsai you are aiming for. Smaller trees look better with lots of tighter curves like the one above. For larger trees bends can be further apart and still look good.
Juniper trunks get stiff quite quick. I think you will have problems getting good bends into the lowest section of those trunks even though they are still small trees. For tight bends I start wiring trunks when they are less than 1/4". 1/8 is even better.

With larger trunks that are already too thick to bend successfully look at the existing forks and branches for your initial bends. That will usually mean choosing one branch as the future trunk. Wire and bend that one if possible. Any other branches will be used as sacrifice branches to help thicken the trunk and will be cut off or jinned when the trunk has grown enough.

Wire and bend no before they start to grow in spring if possible. Bending most trees when they are active can sometimes cause the bark to separate from the wood under and branches can die. In winter the bark is better stuck on and can tolerate rougher handling.
Generally only pot up 1 or 2 sizes. Too large pots can cause problems as mix without roots sometimes turns bad and can affect the roots. Better to pot up a couple of sizes initially then pot up again when the roots have moved into the new mix.
Not really any scale in the photos but I guess these are now in 3" or 4" pots? I would go to 6" initially then to 8" when the roots have filled those. You have specified a shallow 8x4 pot so it would probably be OK to go straight into that size because they hold less mix than the standard 8' and drain better because they are shallow.

So much depends on what you want from these trees. Most beginners are really keen to get a tree in a bonsai pot and don't care so much about having a really good show quality trunk. There is never just one right way to develop bonsai - always other possibilities.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Judging from the coffee cup for scale, I think these can take some bending, given that you protect the trunk with some raffia or rubber.
The first episode of that Eisei-en video series is about wiring movement.

Smoke did some junipers too, they're on his blog as well as on the forum https://bonsaial.wordpress.com/smoke-and-mirrors/itowigawa-juniper/

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Best time to wire them is Fall or Winter. Spring and summer the cambium layer separates too easily and you might lose a branch or kill the tree.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Best time to wire them is Fall or Winter. Spring and summer the cambium layer separates too easily and you might lose a branch or kill the tree.
So what if I already twisted them up? Cut the wire?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Only did it to one. Put some gnarly twist in it. Gonna let it sit and then let it grow for a couple years

Top Bottom