New shimpakus

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
My addiction to shimpaku continues...

a few new ones. At least the last one was free =)

bonsai-1.jpg

bonsai-2.jpg

bonsai-3.jpg

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice material. I'd be interested to see what you do with them.

Tom

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Manny,

Not too shabby.....what are your plans with the 1st one? I think your best tree is the 2nd one. I am curious to know what you want to do to the first one.

Hope all is well. Did you get these at the Wilcox's?

Jason

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those are large trees for $50. The last one will take a while :) However the first two look interesting.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Jason,

Yes, they're from Steve. He was having a sale at his place over the weekend.

That big one is going to be a 4-5 year project. First I have to layer the three large branches and start over from scratch. Steve's been working on cutting back and there's already some back budding close to the main trunk. Hopefully I'll have something to work with when I'm done layering what can be layered.

As for the second one - I agree with you. I should be able to get something decent in 2-3 years.

The last one was basically used for a layer and that's what is left of it. Not much to do except maybe graft on the remaining living vein.

I was actually wondering if the first one was from oregonbonsai. Is it? do you guys have similar shimpaku stock?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Jason,

Yes, they're from Steve. He was having a sale at his place over the weekend.

That big one is going to be a 4-5 year project. First I have to layer the three large branches and start over from scratch. Steve's been working on cutting back and there's already some back budding close to the main trunk. Hopefully I'll have something to work with when I'm done layering what can be layered.

As for the second one - I agree with you. I should be able to get something decent in 2-3 years.

The last one was basically used for a layer and that's what is left of it. Not much to do except maybe graft on the remaining living vein.

I was actually wondering if the first one was from oregonbonsai. Is it? do you guys have similar shimpaku stock?

Cool, I have never been to Steves.... I need to swing in there sometime. That first tree looks like it will be ok to practice layering on.
We have shimpaku in the ground, but most of them have been there for about 7 years and are large or there were a few hundered twisty little guys that are starting their 2nd year in the ground. All those have been wired and twisted like crazy. In 10 years they will be phenominal material.

You need to come out sometime, we aren't far from you. Trust me, you will be happy you came out :)

Jason

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
when they're ready, be sure to save me a couple twisties -

Will you guys be pulling other stock trees from the ground this winter? I'll do my best to come by one of these days hopefully when you guys have your next workshop.

frou frou

Seedling
Reaction score
Dude. Why don't they put them on the web for sale.... Some love to the midwest.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
you should always keep in mind that prices online are always highly inflated (that's why I never purchase any tree online)

the best prices are always local and you'll often get it at a fraction of the price. Try your local club auction or meetings for starters...

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
workshop trees at convention are also a great way to get good material at a low price

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm gonna bring back this thread to ask a question regarding layering shimpaku

When's the best time to do it? Spring?

Which medium is going to maximize success rate? Moss vs akadama vs other type of soil

Which technique works the best? Striping a large ring all the way around? Small ring with additional wire around it?

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
you should always keep in mind that prices online are always highly inflated (that's why I never purchase any tree online)

the best prices are always local and you'll often get it at a fraction of the price. Try your local club auction or meetings for starters...

Um, try living in Kentucky. Do you think anyone has even heard of bonsai? Trying to find material is, well, difficult. There was one bonsai nursery, but his business went the way of the dinosaur. That's why I've been asking around about finding pre-bonsai stock (specifically azaleas and shimpakus) online. It's not the best, but I don't see going to the west coast any time soon...

FYI, I'm jealous at your shimps! I really like the second one--it's got lots of potential! Especially for $50! I really wished I lived in the NW...

Daniel

Last edited:

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I think that first one could be styled right now into a killer windswept with lots of jinn and shari. I bet in two hours it could be your best tree. Jinn the that cylinder growth and bring it down the trunk (shari). Use those smaller limbs for the windswept appearance. You'll have a great tapered windswept juniper that could be quite believable.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
here's a quick update...

been busy with work so all I did is startairlayering the big one. The medium one is sitting in the yard next to a nice itoigawa. All I did was trimming the long shoots to get some inside growth. The small one is somewhere in the yard minding its own business.

And since I didn't really get to work on these trees I got bored and bought three more at a local workshop :)

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
here's a quick update...

been busy with work so all I did is startairlayering the big one. The medium one is sitting in the yard next to a nice itoigawa. All I did was trimming the long shoots to get some inside growth. The small one is somewhere in the yard minding its own business.

And since I didn't really get to work on these trees I got bored and bought three more at a local workshop :)

Want to get rid of any of those cuttings, once they root?? :D Dibs! :p

Daniel

Top Bottom