New shohin trident stock

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am excited about this tree, which I just purchased from Don at Gregory Beach Bonsai. Nice base, clean trunk, ready to grow. It is about six inches tall and may end up a little bigger than a shohin. I paid about $100 for this little gem, so it goes to show you can get decent material for a reasonable price. Of course it is probably double the California price but we can't be too picky here up north.

image.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don has some really great bases. I'm a big fan.
Nice stock, nice clean slate.

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
TreeDave,
I think a trunk chop is in order !

kidding brother Dave, good find,

BigDave

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heh heh. I don't have a shohin trident yet, so I am pleased with this.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Without trunk chopping this one, I think it'd be hard to create the best tree under the 8" mark where we most of the time consider shohin.

It could make a fine kifu tree though.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree - it is just a little bit too tall to make into a shohin. It is what it is I guess.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree - it is just a little bit too tall to make into a shohin. It is what it is I guess.

I'm not disparaging the stock. It can make a nice tree. It just won't be a very small tree. The nebari is there. Now you need to work on taper.

Any reason you're not interested in chopping it further?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could certainly chop it down further. As it is it would make a tree at least twice as tall, not even close to shohin. I would probably have to cut it down to the first branch if I wanted a real shohin. What would you do if it were yours ?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What would you do if it were yours ?
I'd chop it to the lowest bud/branch (the one displayed prominently in the 2nd picture). That'd basically have you cutting it in half.

I understand how tough it is to chop something so drastically though, particularly after you just plunked down some money for it. The benefit to going ahead and chopping is that you'll have the beginnings of a stellar shohin, dramatically improved taper, and reduced time to finish the tree (assuming that shohin CAN be developed faster than larger trees that need believable taper and branches...).

Whichever you choose, I'd like to see what you create from it.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Without trunk chopping this one, I think it'd be hard to create the best tree under the 8" mark where we most of the time consider shohin.

It could make a fine kifu tree though.

Why is the American standard of shohin seem to be shrinking size wise? The last I checked it was 10" in US and in japan its common up to 30-32cm(11-12")?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why is the American standard of shohin seem to be shrinking size wise? The last I checked it was 10" in US and in japan its common up to 30-32cm(11-12")?

That's the trend in the US...you have to super size it to get the "regular" shohin. :p

(sorry can't resist. runs for cover now :eek:)

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Who cares what it is "officially" called, or what catagory it fits into.

Have fun making the best tree you can from the material you have in front of you.

You have a great start there, study it and decide before spring time what you want to do.
Good luck!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Who cares what it is "officially" called, or what catagory it fits into.

Have fun making the best tree you can from the material you have in front of you.

You have a great start there, study it and decide before spring time what you want to do.
Good luck!

I heartily agree with this statement, unless your goal is to enter it in some comp where they measure size.
Size doesn't matter... only perspective.
and enjoyment!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I've regularly seen shohin classified as 8". I've also regularly seen it mentioned that the Japanese don't have a strict classification regarding height for shohin. Regardless, 8" or 10", this trunk won't be done justice within those confines.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I've regularly seen shohin classified as 8". I've also regularly seen it mentioned that the Japanese don't have a strict classification regarding height for shohin. Regardless, 8" or 10", this trunk won't be done justice within those confines.

No i agree that it should be further reduced. I was just asking about the incredibly shrinking shohin

Top Bottom