New shoots dying and ID

Mitch1992

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a new bonsai as a gift. Firstly, I’m struggling to identify what bonsai it is from looking online. Can anyone help please?

Secondly, I have several areas of new growth which start off well but then slowly turn brown and die off. I know I’m unlikely to have a lot of growth through winter but I’m wondering why they keep dying off. The leaves are generally healthy and it only seems to be affecting new growth shoots.

You can see in the close up towards the bottom right is an example of this fully brown. In the middle towards the top you will see two other growth shoots. They start off healthy like this before turning brown as you can see from the right one of the two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 166449CC-259D-4E4B-B04D-049D1B953E53.jpeg
    166449CC-259D-4E4B-B04D-049D1B953E53.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 189C6EEC-E3D0-441B-920C-81FBE680EF7F.jpeg
    189C6EEC-E3D0-441B-920C-81FBE680EF7F.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 30

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome @Mitch1992 The problems you are having could be the soil you are using. It looks very wet. How well does it drain when you are watering it. The water should disappear immediately from the top and run out of the bottom. Almost as if nothing is in between. You will get this if you use Akadama, Kyodama, Pumice, Lava Rock, Kanuma, Certain Kitty Litters, Turface, Perlite, Pine Bark etc. You can mix any of them together (Just about). Or use them separately. You are looking for an open structure that retains moisture but lets all the excess moisture run off. The tree looks like some sort of fig but I'm not the best at IDing trees. Good Luck!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi @Mitch1992 welcome to the site! The tree you have is a Fukien Tea tree.

I agree with @Graft 's advice. You want to provide your tree with humidity, but make sure that you don't overwater.

Also, make sure that you understand the difference between flower buds and leaf buds. Your Fukien Tea tree can flower almost non-stop, though I find that they tend to take a break during the heat of the summer. You have a number of flower buds that are both green and turning brown before falling off. I'm not certain what you are looking at when you say your new growth is browning and falling off, but if it is only flowers that is normal.

Mitch1992

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you @Graft and @Bonsai Nut for the helpful advice. It drains pretty well I think (I watered 5 minutes before the photo which will likely be why it looks moist). I’m not sure the soil being used as this was how I received it, however I’ll keep that in mind for any future soil if it continues to be an issue. My local area has hard water too which I thought could contribute. I’ve started using rain water where possible.

@Bonsai Nut that’s really useful. Now you’ve explained it I’d say it probably is the flower buds. When they kept going brown I thought this could be an issue with my care. I’ll keep an eye for any lead buds although I find them harder to monitor.

thanks very much!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you said it was just watered, but that soil looks plain nasty. Quite often "gifted" trees come in a horrible potting mix. Repot it into a decent bonsai mix. I know these have a bad reputation but I have a few that have not given me any trouble at all. I did kill one once when it went bone dry. And you do have to watch for bugs.
Best luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hell was going on in 2018?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I thought gifted Fukein Tea Bonsai trees are supposed to die....hmm.

I've got one sitting outside right now that's been rolling through 30 something temps at night without missing a beat (no frost however). Soon as it starts to drop below freezing I'm going to bring it inside.

Top Bottom