New Slab Pot

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Octagon shaped slab pot 8.5"x11". My goal is to create a pot a day over my summer break and this is the first. My classes crank back up on Monday. Looking forward to learning about the art of glazing.
20180530_201547.jpg20180530_201737.jpg20180530_201815.jpg
About 2.5 inches deep. As always critiques appreciated and implemented when possible!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it.

The only thing I can think of for criticism is because it's a slab construction it has lots of nice straight lines and edges but that also brings out the things that are not as straight.

The rim stands out to me a bit with it's slightly wavy cut. Do you use a tool for this? If you don't use a tool I recommend trying something with a square edge held at an angle. Use a straight edge with that and you can clean up those lines a lot.

Hope I'm not coming across as too hard I really do like the pot. I've taking some pottery classes but mainly just a bunch of different types of crafts that I've picked up some tips from.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No thanks I appreciate it! The rim is carved and I am still trying to work out how I have to hold my hands and what tool is best to use. I am going to have to build something to rest my hand on when I carve. My problem is I cant even draw a straight line with a ruler to save myself ?. I keep messing with it and eventually whittle it away to nothing.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No thanks I appreciate it! The rim is carved and I am still trying to work out how I have to hold my hands and what tool is best to use. I am going to have to build something to rest my hand on when I carve. My problem is I cant even draw a straight line with a ruler to save myself ?. I keep messing with it and eventually whittle it away to nothing.
You'll get there! Keep at it, you will find what works best for you.
How did you put your slabs together? I never had much luck with ithe seams looking so smooth...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Practice makes perfect.
Practice, practice, practice.
Coming along nicely.

When vitrifying if the clay varies in thickness, it can
develop warp points [ Captain Kirk ]

If you grog the body heavily, it "glues" together more
easily and does not move as much in drying or firing.
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Practice makes perfect.
Practice, practice, practice.
True enough. I only have class once a week so I started putting together pots at home. I dont have all the bells and whistles available in class but I get by. I have also been watching this guys videos. Gregs Ceramics. His bonsai pots are amazing and his carving skills top notch! Thanks for the input Anthony.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes we purchase pots that are little off
because they are better suited to the tree.
Perfect is not always the answer.

Yes, the Chinese equivalent is buffalo or cow horn.

I hope when you guys realise how easy it is to make a good
pot, that you will not end up spending $$$$ on commercial pots.
Or that you can take a large plastic pot, some plaster of
paris and make a mould for general on growing pots.

Next Az-------------- devil face ------------- drop moulding for
your concave pruners - heh heh heh.
Good Day
Anthony

* Look for this - the Mexican Cembroides - possible Desert White
Pine 1 inch needles.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next Az-------------- devil face ------------- drop moulding for
your concave pruners - heh heh heh.
Good Day
Maybe I should just go full blown forge in my backyard...I am sure my neighbors would not mind. I could get some of the little cretin neighborhood kids to man the bellows!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little something different for the feet. I think they could go higher up on the side of the pot and maybe a bit more uniform underneath. Would this be frowened upon in the true bonsai world. Just thinking it is not really about the pot.
20180605_070535.jpg
20180605_065828.jpg
20180605_070601.jpg

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A little something different for the feet. I think they could go higher up on the side of the pot and maybe a bit more uniform underneath. Would this be frowened upon in the true bonsai world. Just thinking it is not really about the pot.
View attachment 195440
View attachment 195442
View attachment 195443
I'm not sure if it would be frowned upon it the bonsai world but I think it's pretty sweet looking. I like the feel it gives with the two distinct textures and how they seem separate but they still come together nicely without being too busy.
Good job

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They look pretty darn good for a new hobbyist.
I would love to take some classes, but I am having a hard time finding time for my trees right now :(

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks fine to me, Im no expert on the matter but I can see some good uses for that pot. By the way Im LOVING the use of the reddish brown clay. I find its a very usable color clay for unglazed containers. Good luck and keep em coming!!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another new one. A little texture on one corner. Slowly getting a little faster and hopefully a little better. Still need to do some feet leveling. Still enjoying it.
20180614_090858.jpg
20180614_090947.jpg

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another new one. A little texture on one corner. Slowly getting a little faster and hopefully a little better. Still need to do some feet leveling. Still enjoying it.
View attachment 196770
View attachment 196771
Do you have a picture of it straight on like you would see if your displaying it with a tree? I'm interested to see how much of the corner shows

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting concept here, what was your inspiration for this one? I get a kind of large boulder jutting out feel from it. Good amount of tie down holes...can never have too many tie down and drainage holes in the bottom..well, you know what I mean.

Top Bottom