New Stock getting ready to pop at shop!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a few maples in bulb pans About to be put up on web site. I figured Id show you some of the material coming up. These are 10 inch bulb pans, btw.20130301_122205.jpg20130301_122229.jpg
One is a Japanese maple seedling and one is a trident. The Japanese maple is 175 and the trident is 125. These are stock. but they are pretty sweet stock. We have 20 more Japanese maples like these coming on the website the next couple of weeks. Any thoughts guys?

Reaction score
Yeah, the Japanese Maples just burn up down here in Florida.
:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might consider posting this in the "trees for sale" forum. Or I could move the thread, if you prefer.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice! Fair prices. I would love to see the other jap maples

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You might consider posting this in the "trees for sale" forum. Or I could move the thread, if you prefer.

I thank you. I was actually putting them up for comments of material as some may have thoughts, suggestions, or even to just show what we have. But if you think it should be moved, by all means as I am just a visitor. Maybe sale area may be better . Sales are always good...

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Florida :) Deland. Been in central Florida since 94'.

So, do you find leaf burn common with Acer Palmatum in Florida? - and if so, is there a particular solution that you have found works well to alleviate this problem?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, do you find leaf burn common with Acer Palmatum in Florida? - and if so, is there a particular solution that you have found works well to alleviate this problem?

Well, we really are limited on which varieties we can grow. We do grow about 15 varieties, however. Kashima, Kyohime, murisaki kyohime, arakawa, seriu, among a few others.
I have a few more I'd like to try, but its hard finding the ones I want to try in the states. A few things I've found is
1) organic fertilizer only except for early spring before it gets hot. The salts in chemical fertilizers seems to desiccate root tips which in turn exacerbates the summer leaf burn.
2) repot yearly in a bonsai pot or they fill up roots the second year unless in very large pots by the middle of second summer which tends to get leaf burn
3) the dyna gro product "protekt" seems to really help slow or in even some cases stop leaf burn.
4) pot in slightly deeper pots to also give roots a little more buffer. Exp if it is still in development.
5)keep them in partial shade from May on or 90+ degrees whatever happens first.
6) this one is still in study and I don't think I need to do it as soon since I am now in an area that keeps a bit colder for longer, But I used to defoliate the leafs as soon as the leaves started to change in the fall, and put them in deeper shade and keep them on the dry side.
You lose a lot of beautiful fall colors, but it helps keep the all important vigor up.
Also, I don't defoliate as I should mid summer to keep vigor up, but that is mostly because of the bad fertilizer programs and incorrect soil blends of 10-15 years ago being incorrect for our area. Ill start to utilize it now on strong plants now that I have a better understanding of our growing conditions in our area. My mentor also lives in Deland and has been growing Japanese maples in central Florida for over 30 years, so I know they grow here fine.
The one thing I can say 100% full sun is NOT Japanese maples friend. in fact growing under 50-70% shade during summer months is best. Summer in Florida is a whole different animal than anywhere elses full sun.
This is what I know so far.
Jason

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason will be in Mt. Dora the week of March 17th and am anxious to get over to your nursery. Several friends from the clubs in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids have said it was a must do trip.

Terry

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's good information, daytona1911. Thanks. I have a few small seedling Japanese maples in a 9a area in southern China that gets mean max temperatures (summer) of about 4 degrees more than where you are, and mean minimum temperatures (winter) of about 12 degrees colder, so your information about protecting Japanese maples during hot weather is very helpful.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Jason! I did find your info very helpful and your experiences correlate with mine even being up north a 1000 miles away from you. Even in the North East I found long time ago giving maples full sun in Summer is NOT a good idea.

Have never tried the pro-tekt stuff but I may experiment with it this year. I have generally been successful giving my maples plenty of water and shade to keep leaves in good condition all the way till Autumn.

Top Bottom