New Stock....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

Took a trip up to the Meehans in Maryland today to buy myself some recovery/sympathy stock. Ended up getting 3 new trees :eek: A new Ficus microcarpa and two Dwarf Ficus microcarpa.

They've all got interesting characteristics that attracted me to them, most involving their bases. The dwarf Golden Gate trees are full of aerial roots at the base, so it's a little hard to tell what's going on from pictures. I bought them to also give me some cuttings, as I find these dwarf varieties harder to come by. So in these next few weeks I'll be taking lots and lots of cuttings from them.

Here's the first Dwarf:
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And here is the monstrous regular microcarpa. I absolutely LOVED the base on this one, even though there are hardly any bottom branches. I plan on taking lots and lots of cuttings from this one, rooting them, then fusing them to the base of the tree so that it's easier to chop back:
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow.. These all have great bases. The last one is just amazing. Are you going to chop these down for shohin/chihin size trees?

Rob

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Wow.. These all have great bases. The last one is just amazing. Are you going to chop these down for shohin/chihin size trees?

Rob

Thanks Rob, the last one's my favorite. The aerials and movement make up for the lack of branches. Don't think I'll be making a shohin of that one, but probably will with the first two since they've got such tiny leaves.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look like fun projects. Though I was kind of hoping that the "new stock" might be a coast redwood... :)

Chris

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those look like fun projects. Though I was kind of hoping that the "new stock" might be a coast redwood... :)

Chris

;) Not just yet Chris, the seeds haven't sprouted :cool:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I went ahead and already slip potted one of the dwarves, it was in dire need of it...
024.jpg
025.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a good base, that last one. Glad to see you're feeling better. :D

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
i have a similar tree i got a few weeks ago, its a benjamina i believe
banyan10.jpg
banyan10b.jpg

i'm getting the aerial roots to grow strong on the upper branches then plan to peg graft them onto the lower part.

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
here's a retusa i picked up a couple of days ago

P1140766s.jpg
P1140769s.jpg
P1140773.jpg

it was a bit of a mess when i got it but i think looks promising now its cleaned up. (how do you like my home made bender?)

i took a nice trunk and lot of good size branches off while pruning which i will grow back and use fusing to 'frankenficus' them all together into another nice tree

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
here's a retusa i picked up a couple of days ago

View attachment 38411
View attachment 38412
View attachment 38413

it was a bit of a mess when i got it but i think looks promising now its cleaned up. (how do you like my home made bender?)

i took a nice trunk and lot of good size branches off while pruning which i will grow back and use fusing to 'frankenficus' them all together into another nice tree

Good stock. I suggest you start your own thread with that guy though so that it can be tracked on its own :cool:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good material Ryan. Since you're going to go for a larger style tree maybe you could try grating some lower branching.

I like yours too Steve. Like Ryan said you should make a thread so we can follow the progress.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Good material Ryan. Since you're going to go for a larger style tree maybe you could try grating some lower branching.

That was my thinking too, which is why I've got like 10 cuttings or so sitting upstairs in cups of water, waiting to root ;)

I went ahead and cut back one of the Dwarf microcarpas to work some taper into it. I plan on fully utilizing the small leaves, so I plan on a small tree with this one (sorry, blurry picture):
015.jpg

I should hopefully get 3 rooted cuttings from this one:
006.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's what I'm looking at in terms of that last tree. I could cut it back to the red line here, which is just about the lowest branch that would make sense to cut back to. Maybe, maybe not.

036.jpg

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's good to see you getting back to your trees Ryan.

Good luck with these projects.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

All the best,
Paul

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's good to see you getting back to your trees Ryan.

Good luck with these projects.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

All the best,
Paul

Thanks Paul! I honestly feel like a new man. I feel great, it's amazing.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Glad you're feeling better, great new stock they'll be exciting to work on.

Top Bottom