New Stock....

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here's what I'm looking at in terms of that last tree. I could cut it back to the red line here, which is just about the lowest branch that would make sense to cut back to. Maybe, maybe not.

View attachment 38508

i have almost exactly the same situation, that's why i tacked my banjamina onto your thread.

i would like to keep my lowest branch as a new leader but it will be about 13" up which i feel is a bit high.

i haven't decided yet but i'm leaning towards lopping my trunk at about 8" high then peg grafting the branches back in where i want them.

i'm very interested to see what you do. do you plan on doing something soon or are you going to let it rest for a while?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i'm very interested to see what you do. do you plan on doing something soon or are you going to let it rest for a while?

I'm certainly not going to do anything with it just yet, other than repotting it into a bigger pot to let it grow and get as healthy as possible before I do start cutting it back.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those look like fun projects. Though I was kind of hoping that the "new stock" might be a coast redwood... :)

Chris

Just thought I'd let you know that pretty soon here I'll have some Coast Redwood seedlings. I just checked my coffee filters and noticed a few seeds have germinated :cool:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And here they are, 11 new possible bonsai candidates ;)

009.jpg
010.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I slip potted that microcarpa with the good looking base today. I don't care if there is a lack of lower branches, with as good as this base looks I'll figure something out :p ;)

005.jpg
008.jpg
007.jpg

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmmm thinking about future (years) styling for this one. I know this looks like a pine, and that's going to bother a lot of people, but hey, I like this kind of look...
trunk2.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it would make a cool looking formal upright if you chopped the top off and wired a new leader after the trunk buds out. That would lead to a much longer development time though, compared to grafting some lower branches.

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hmmm thinking about future (years) styling for this one. I know this looks like a pine, and that's going to bother a lot of people, but hey, I like this kind of look...
View attachment 38735

i'm no where near as patient as you lot, i plan to start grafting my tall, skinny benjamina as soon as i have some decent roots from my air layer on the top that i plan to move down. probably about one month from now

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think it would make a cool looking formal upright if you chopped the top off and wired a new leader after the trunk buds out. That would lead to a much longer development time though, compared to grafting some lower branches.

Well at least someone agrees with me that it'd make a nice formal upright, I seem to get flak from just about everyone else....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really hacked this one back today to stimulate some backbud:
035.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Gave a quick styling/trimming to one of the mini leaf Golden Gates tonight:
032.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's that second tree as of tonight. The growth is slowly making its way down the trunk, and it'll be chopped back again once it recovers from this:
029.JPG
031.JPG

And the first one:
034.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's that big microcarpa today after a repot and root trim.
donee (1 of 1).jpg
donee (1 of 1)-2.jpg

It's really gotten bushy. But, toying around with those long whips allowed me to wrap them around the back, and into that gap between the trunk and those thick aerial roots. I'm hoping that by letting these young branches grow uncontrolled, I can begin to close the gap between the two areas.
donee (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Update on this big one:

Nothing has really changed. This one was never really affected by the mites for some reason. Guess they weren't a fan of the thicker leaf. I'm still lost as to what to do with it though. Love the base, hate everything else ;)

004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's difficult to tell, but is there a gap through the middle of the trunk? The base is awesome - everything else can be rebuilt! I'd let it grow wild and then I'm sure it'll give you some options.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's difficult to tell, but is there a gap through the middle of the trunk? The base is awesome - everything else can be rebuilt! I'd let it grow wild and then I'm sure it'll give you some options.

There is a gap through there..
013.jpg

Ryan, can you post some more pics from other angles?
Sure can, but in case you are thinking there's another front, unfortunately there is not...
009.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg

Top Bottom