New Student

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As is the case every time I'm faced with a new and exciting possibility I am intensely interested in meeting someone that has experience and knowledge. I live in South Orange County and I'd love to get together with someone over coffee or tea and discuss Bonsai, horticulture in general, or maybe just our local flora and fauna. If you have the time and inclination sometime this week please get back to me as this has become an itch that I don't know how to scratch.

Regards,
Dale

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Check if there is a local bonsai club near you. I think this is your best bet. Good luck and welcome!!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, and Welcome to the forum. I read your intro thread as well, seems like you've got the horticultural bug...that's a good thing for learning bonsai, as keeping the trees healthy thru all the stress we put them under is key. Dario is correct, and there are a lot (I think) of club action where you are. I'm sure someone can point you there, or just google for it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're in the heartland of American bonsai. Find a club, you are spoiled for choice:

From the American Bonsai Society's Web page:

California clubs:

CALIFORNIA - Alameda

Bay Island Bonsai meets the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM, at the First Congregational Church located at 1912 Central Ave., Alameda CA. Contact: Boon Manankitivipart by E-mail: boon@bonsaiboon.com. Bay Island Bonsai is a Northern California organization founded in 1998 by Boon Manakitivipart. The organization came into being outof Boon's desire to improve standards in bonsai, to produce a bonsai exhibit, and to establish a group of dedicated bonsai artists who could work and learn together. Website: www.bayislandbonsai.com

CALIFORNIA - Anaheim

Kofu Bonsai Kai meets in Anaheim at United Methodist Church 1000 South State College Blvd. Anaheim 7:00 PM 3rd Saturday evening. www.prepgraphics.com/kofu.html

Orange Empire Bonsai Society meets the 4th Sunday of each month at 1 pm at the O.C.Buddhist Church,909 S. Dale St., just north of Ball Road in West Anaheim. Contact: Ken Schlothan at ocbonsai@gmail.com Club displays trees on an altenate years at the Hannamatsuri Festival for the Church and has an annual Bonsai Show each June also at the Buddhist Church with a demostration on both days of the Show...Vendors and a hugh raffle.

CALIFORNIA - Arcadia

Santa Anita Bonsai Society. Meets at 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, second Saturday of each month except July, August, and December, 7:30 PM. Jim Barrett, (818)445-4529.

Shohin Bonsai Society. Meets at Los Angeles Arboretum, 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, second Wednesday, except July and August, 7:30 PM. Marty Hagbery, (818) 332-8381, or Edith Izant, 1021 Sierra Vista Dr., La Habra, CA 90631, (310) 691-3450. Bonsai 10 inches and under. Annual show second weekend in April.

CALIFORNIA - Arcata

Humboldt Bonsai Society. Meets at homes of members at varied dates. Karen Haas, PO Box 816, Trinidad, CA 95570, (707) 677-0636. Membership consists of individuals residing in several cities in the Humboldt Bay area.

CALIFORNIA - Castro Valley

Yamato Bonsai Club meets at the Castro Valley Womens Club, 18330 Redwood Road, Castro Valley, CA. every 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Demo, workshops, and plant critique. Annual Fall Show third Sat/Sun of October. Website: yamatobonsaiclub.org E-mail: lubedardjr@yahoo.com

CALIFORNIA - Chico

Chico Bonsai Society. Meets at Pleasant Valley Recreation Center, 2320 North Ave., fourth Sunday, except July and August, 1:00 PM. Contact: Pat Gilmore (530) 343-3447. Website http://www.chicobonsai.org

CALIFORNIA - Crescent City

Seacrest Bonsai Club. Meets at various locations, second Monday, October through May, 7:00 PM. Ted Weber, 288 W. 5th St., Crescent City, CA 95531, (707)464-4949. Annual exhibit on Memorial Day weekend in conjunction with the Azalea Festival in Brookings, OR.

CALIFORNIA - Fresno

Fresno Bonsai Society. Meetings are held on the second Saturday of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Fresno City College Horticulture, except we are off for the months June, July and August. If you have any questions contact Steve DaSilva treekutter@hotmail.com

CALIFORNIA - Gardena

California Bonsai Society. Meets at 7:00 pm on first Friday at Ken Nakaoka Community Center, 1700 W. 162nd Street, Gardena, CA. Roy Nagatoshi, (818)362-5476. Annual bonsai exibition in April at Huntington Library.

Dai Ichi Bonsai Kai. Meets at Ken Nakaoka Community Center, 1670 W. 162nd St., third Friday, 7:00 PM. Contact: Andrea Wagner (310) 370-5492. E-mail: rickandrea@earthlink.net. Family oriented club dedicated to promoting the art of bonsai through monthly meetings, demonstrations, annual show, and participation in community arts events. Website: http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/daiichibonsaikai

CALIFORNIA - Hanford

Hanford Bonsai Society, Inc. Meets at Kings County Civic Center Agriculture Building; 680 N. Campus Dr, Suite F (of the Ag Center), third Thursday at 7:00 PM. Contact: Bob Hilvers (559) 732-9286 Workshops, demos, informative group.

CALIFORNIA - La Canada (Flintridge)

Descanso Bonsai Society. Meets at Descanso Gardens, La Canada Flintridge, CA, 3rd Tuesday, 7:00 PM. Workshop and critique precede regular meeting, demonstrations and programs. Annual outdoor show in June. Contact: Jim Barrett, 480 Oxford Dr, Arcadia, CA 91007, telephone (818) 445-4529. e-mail: lizlikes@aol.com Website: www.descanso-bonsai.com

CALIFORNIA - Modesto

Modesto Bonsai Club. Meets the thrid Saturday of each month except Dec. from 10am - 2pm at the Blue Oak Nursery, 784 Albers Rd. near Hwy 132, Modesto - Members and visitors enjoy learning the art of bonsai in the lakeside park setting of Blue Oak Bonsai Nursery. Mailing address is PO Box 578518, Modesto, CA 95357-8518. Contact: Jerry Jumper (209) 667-6701 or E-mail Website: http://www.modestobonsaiclub.com

CALIFORNIA - Napa

Napa Valley Bonsai Club. Meets at 1500 Jefferson, third Monday, 7:15 pm. Penny Pawl, PO Box 2220, Napa, CA 94558.Tel - (707) 224-8983 E-mail: pap1142@juno.com

CALIFORNIA - Oakland

East Bay Bonsai Society. Meets at Lakeside Garden Center, 666 Bellevue, Oakland, second Wednesday, 7:30 pm. Max Cooperstein, PO Box 1575, El Cerrito, CA 94530. Full program of demonstrations at most meetings, beginners programs, workshops, nursery bus tours, spring and fall shows, and annual auction.

CALIFORNIA - Palo Alto

Kusamura Bonsai Club. Meets at First Congregational Church, Louis & Embarcadero. 2nd Fri. 7:00 PM. Website: http://www.geocities.com/kusamura_bonsai contact: Sandy Planting, (650) 323-6955.

CALIFORNIA - Riverside

Inland Empire Bonsai Society. Meets at Botanic Gardens Conference Room, UC Riverside, 2nd Sun. except July and Aug. at 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Mrs. Knox, 3349 Dwight Ave., Riverside, CA, 92507 (909) 682-6623.

CALIFORNIA - Sacramento

American Bonsai Assoc. of Sacramento. Meets the fourth Tuesday each month at 7 pm. at the Sacramento Garden and Arts Center, 3330 McKinley Blvd, Contact: Simon Lau, Phone: (530) 622-9681 Email: NHCatLady@aol.com Website: http://www.bonsaisacramento.org. The club has excellent educational programs, outreach to beginning bonsai-ists, and high quality professional demonstrations.

Satsuki Aikokai Sacramento. Meets at the Shepard Garden Center, 3330 McKinley Blvd, third Monday each month at 7 at pm. Betty Pitts, 2701 Corabel Lane, #55, Sacramento, CA 95821. Contact: Ronn Pigram Phone: (916) 428-8505 Email: satsukiaikokaisac@sbcglobal.net. Satsuki Aikokai Sacramento Bonsai club IS the flowering bonsai club. We grow and care for bonsai Satsuki Azaleas with an eye toward our show in mid May when they are filled with flowers. Interested please come to our meetings!

CALIFORNIA - San Diego

San Diego Bonsai Club. Meets at Casa del Prado Bldg., Room 101, Balboa Park 2nd Sun. 11:00 AM. Club phone, (619) 699-8776. Active club of 200 members. Two shows a year spring and fall plus two bus trips and several socials. Website: www.sandiegobonsaiclub.com

CALIFORNIA - San Francisco

Bonsai Society of San Francisco. Meets at Hall of Flowers, 9th Ave. and Lincoln Way 2nd Thurs. 8:00 PM. Mia Amato, (415) 285-6807. Spring exhibit.Our meeting place and contact information has changed and is available on our website http://www.bssf.org.

CALIFORNIA - San Jose

Kusamura Bonsai Club Meet every third Friday of the month at - St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 600 Colorado Ave., Palo Alto, in the Parish Hall. Meetings are at 7 PM with a basic workshop and 8 PM with a special presentation. Contact: Jerry Carpenter, E-mail: jcsf1090@earthlink.net Website: http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/kusamura/

The Midori Bonsai Club. Meets the first and third Thursday of the month year round at 7:30 PM at St. Edwards Episcopal Church at Union Ave. and Hwy 85. 1st Thursday general meeting features lecture, demo, workshop or round robin format programs. 3rd Thursday is an open forum workshop for all comers. Visitors welcome!! Contact John Thompson (JT) at (408)371-7737.

CALIFORNIA - San Mateo

Bay Area Shohin. Meets at several locations in greater San Francisco Bay area, Sunday, except July, Aug. and December, 1:30 PM. Bill Sullivan, 117 Jefferson Dr., Tiburon, CA 94920. (415) 388-5854. Informal meetings open to everyone interested in shohin (under 10 inches bonsai). Dates and locations vary. Please write or phone for current schedule.

Hillsborough Bonsai Society. Meets at San Mateo Garden Center, 605 Parkside Way, third Friday, 7:30 PM. Barbara Bokeland, (415) 348-2835. Workshops, demos, lectures by guest speakers and club members, field trips and visual aids.

Sei Boku Bonsai Kai. Meets at 605 Parkside Way, fourth Wednesday, except December, 7:30 PM. Warren Clark, 889 Lurine Dr, Foster City, CA 94404, (415) 574-6074. Visitors cordially welcome. Annual exhibit first weekend in October.

CALIFORNIA - Santa Barbara

Bonsai Club of Santa Barbara. Meets at the Goleta Valley Community Center, 5679 Hollister Ave., Goleta, CA. second Tuesday, except August and December, at 7:30 PM. Contact Joe Olson, PO Box 3703, Santa Barbara, CA 93103, (805) 964-0869, or E-mail: joeyuccaseed@verizon.net. Monthly programs, August and December Potlucks and raffles. Annual show and plant sale in May at Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. Website

CALIFORNIA - Santa Maria

Santa Maria Bonsai Club. Meets at Japanese Cultural Center, 134 N. Western, second Sunday, 9:00 AM to noon. Chris Ehrler, (805) 489-9046. Annual shows at San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria Obon Festivals and Santa Barbara County Fair.

CALIFORNIA - Santa Rosa

Redwood Empire Bonsai Society meets at the Veterans Memorial Hall, 1351 Mapl, Santa Rosa, Ca. (across from the fairgrounds) the 4th Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Guest speakers/demonstratore are featured. Annual show the last weekend of August each year is one the the biggest in California and features over 150 trees. Website: www.rebsbonsai.org E-mail: President@rebsbonsai.org

CALIFORNIA - Temple City

Baiko-en Bonsai Kenkyukai. Meets at 5118 Barela Ave., second Sunday, 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Marty Hagbery, 5009 N. Willow Ave., Covina, CA 91724. (818) 331-8382. Annual Frank Nagata Memorial Show "Winter Silhouettes", invitational bonsai exhibit at Los Angeles State and County Arboretum, Arcadia, CA, last weekend in January.

CALIFORNIA - Vacaville

Vaca Valley Bonsai Club. Meets at Community Presbyterian Church, 425 Hemlock St., second Tuesday, 7:00 PM. John Jackson, 4681 Midway Rd., Vacaville, CA 95688. (707) 446-1720. Mailing address: 592 Cottonwood, Vacaville, CA 95688

CALIFORNIA - Van Nuys

Sansui Kai of So. California. Meets the first Wednesday, 7:30 pm, at the Japanese Garden, shares address with Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant, 6100 Woodley Avenue, Van Nuys. Workshop 6:30 pm, bring plant, tools, and wire. March Installation dinner and July potluck/auction, location TBA. Dick Beltran, 10100 Keokuk Ave., Chatsworth, CA 91311, (818) 349- 0508. Annual show in May at Sepulveda Garden Center, Magnolia Street, Encino, CA. John Naka, et al, founders. All levels welcome.

CALIFORNIA - Westlake Village

Conejo Valley Bonsai Society. Meets the third Thursday of every month, 7:30 pm, at the Westlake Village City Hall/Community Room, 31200 Oakcrest Drive, Westlake Village, CA. Contact: Ken Fuentes, Pres. (805)495-7480 or by E-mail. Have you ever wanted to learn how to train and care for a bonsai plant? Come to our monthly meetings and find out how from our resident experts and invited professionals. We can help you decide where to get plants, pots, supplies, and we have plenty of advice to help get you started. Novices and all ages are welcome to attend and light refreshments are served. We schedule field trips to local nurseries and suppliers and provide information on bonsai shows and demonstrations. Our group puts on an annual display and demonstration show at the Gardens of the World on Thousand Oaks Blvd. in October. Website

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's a group of us who get together informally every now and again to work on trees. We often meet up in Lake Forest. I've got another guy who lives in Laguna Hills who wants to join us. When this (hopefully final) heat wave breaks, it's going to be time to work on some trees! I'll shoot you a PM when we next get together...

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Bonsai Nut. That would be great and is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks also to rockm, JudyB, and Poink88. I have looked into the local club opportunities. I have been in contact with the OC Bonsai Society and have their next meeting on my schedule.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good grief, I want to move to California, can't you guys squeeze in a few more clubs.:p

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good grief, I want to move to California, can't you guys squeeze in a few more clubs.:p

Thats about two thirds. Go to the GSBF site for the rest of them.

Akatsuki in Fresno, Japanese club with sensai, Katsumi Kinoshita, Al Keppler, President.

Last edited:

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I went to the Kofu Bonsai Kai meeting last weekend. I arrived early for the workshop and brought my Cotoneasters (which it turns out I have been mispronouncing all my life) and did some limited work on one of them. We just gave it some shape and definition.

During the meeting we had a Ficus demo. That poor tree was essentially trunk and root and chopped. The demonstrator was going for an exposed root style as she likes the Banyan style ficus from the tropics. It amazes me that a tree can come back from that sort of treatment, especially this time of year, but I am sure she knows what she can get away with.

Anyway, they had a ton of branches and stems they removed in the process and after the demo they said to take what you want of the cuttings. I quickly grabbed the largest piece and stayed around for the raffle. I bought 15 tickets (a $10 investment) and got picked 5 times. I ended up with a nice oval pot, a large rock (for my attempts at root over rock someday), 2 cedars of questionable quality, and score of scores the Oak I've always wanted (also of questionable quality...for now). After the meeting was over they had a ton of Ficus trimmings left so I took an armful. When I got home I defoliated all the ficus cuttings and placed them in D.E. in an attempt to get them to root. This will be my first attempt at rooting a cutting. If they all root the smaller bunch will become a forest. And an ungangly one might get laid on it's side in an attempt to get a raft style out of it. I ended up with about 10 cuttings in total.

The O.C. Bonsai Society is having it's meeting this coming weekend. I will be attending that one as well. I think I may bring the smallest of my new cedars and the other Cotoneaster to see what kind of advice I can get on those. And if they have a raffle I will definitely be buying into that.

With all that said, I'd still like to join in on any study group that comes up with the group here. I need all the advice I can get right now. I would really love to bring my "large" ficus and possibly learn something about it. I really hope it roots.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just got back from the O.C. Bonsai Society meeting. Kinda glad I bought into the raffle. I ended up with more trees. Got a Ginkgo, a Chinese elm, a yew, a mulberry, a cape myrtle, and 3 maples. Outside of fruiting trees, I have everything I've been looking for, plus some.

Oh, yeah, and a whole stack of terracotta training pots.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It may be time for some repotting... Plus my pines are getting close to needle work. I'll check with Si and Ian and maybe we can get together this weekend. I have two others I think who might want to join us.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That would be delightful BNut. I don't currently have a pine but I'm sure I can find something to bring along. Even if I don't have anything that needs work I'd be happy to meet a few folks and help out where I can.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think I'm going to browse the nurseries the rest of the week and pick up a pine. There is a before/after styling photo contest I'm going to be entering so a study group seems the perfect time to make this happen.

Top Bottom