New talent competition practice

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Last week I qualified myself for the national new talent contest. The goal is to style a tree from raw material in 3 hours.
It has a lot of rules as the health of the tree shouldn't be in danger and the way you work, but in the end the most important thing is originality and design.
The winner of the national will advance to the European talent contest were you have to face people from all countries.

That's my goal so I had practice session today. It's a chinese Juniper and the report on this is on my blog: http://chrisvbonsai.wordpress.com

Here's the before and after.

Attachments

• NTCvoor2.JPG
    NTCvoor2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 112
  • NTCna2.JPG
    NTCna2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 126

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work Chris! Really like what you did. I wish you the best and good luck in the competition!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work. You should do well in the competition. Good luck! :)

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice, Chris!! I can hardly tell that was the same tree! Nice vision and execution. I have a hard time believing you're a beginner. You obviously have a gift for bonsai. :)

Cory

Reaction score
Chris... Having just been in one here in the states, I would offer up the
following advice...

Keep practicing as much as possible... and then some, to where it gets routine.
That way when you you get under pressure, you will just fall back on your basics,
and do what comes natural.

If you start to get hung up on something, and can't make a decision, move on to
something else that you know what you want to do with. Time is always not your
friend when doing these sort of things, and often the decision will be made for you
by your other choices on the tree.

Lastly, pay specific attention to your cleanliness of wiring, wrapping raffia, use of
guidelines etc... it's hard sometimes when you get in a bind, or a hurry, but it's
probably the most important lesson I just learned from mine. And I personally feel
that it was look at more than the design of my tree.
And use copper wire if all possible !!!

I cannot stress this enough... there is just no comparison when viewing a group of
trees together as to which looks better. The one with the big black aluminum wire or
the one where the wire is virtually invisible.

Hope this helps and good luck !!!
Let us know how you do.
:cool:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That came out great, I wish you the best in your competiton. I guess you have to practice a lot, just a thought, you will need room for the trees you are practicing on so why not send me that old juniper to make some room for you to practice ? :D

ed

md4958

Sapling
Reaction score
Amazing... they have Dr Pepper overseas!!

:p

Very nice work on the tree Chris. Best of luck in the competition!

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your Nice comments gives me a lot of confidence. I'm going to do my best although I know I have some good competition practice makes perfect they say.
After next saturday i'll let you guys know how things went.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chris that's an amazing transformation in one go around. How long did you say you've been practicing bonsai? What's the criteria to be a "new artist?"

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
The criteria is to create a pre bonsai tree from raw material in 3 hours. No one knows what tree you get until the competition starts. It's kind of a lottery.

Judges are looking at design, originality, wiring, techniques, how you work and important that you keep the trees health in mind while styling.
An ofc a thousand other points but you can find them online.

Winner of the national advances to the european contest were there is also a big show with a lot of well known artist.

This is my 3th year doing bonsai and participating in this competition was is one of my goals I wanted to achieve.

Top Bottom