New term for American bonsai

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
That's a fun point to discuss.

I kind of think the term American Bonsai has already become the term we are looking for. It separates from the traditional term Bonsai, but also pays it's respects to what's happened in Japan. It's was also developed more organically and is already being used here in the States. I wonder if any other term/saying could be adopted without feeling forced and unnatural.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Instead of changing the name, let's change the material we use to all native trees! That's American Bonsai. I don't see the Japanese importing our species. More pioneers are needed to search out the trees growing on our lands and figure out how to "bonsai them".

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would’ve interested to read about these Japanese rules. Most of the ideas I use for the styling of trees has to do with art principles and horticultural needs. Just because the Japanese, or Chinese for that matter did them first does not make them strict Japanese or Chinese “rules”.

This, lots of this. I hear a lot about theoretic ideas (i.e. perceptions of people in the west) about what bonsai in Japan really is. But I have a feeling there are only a handful (or two) of people in the US that can really say what's going on over there. And the idea that all Japanese bonsai is done the same is farcical. The few Kokufu albums I've looked through cover various time periods, and the styles certainly have changed over time. It seems to me that there have been naturalistic times, very stylized times, more abstract, etc. Lots of time has passed. They've tried it all at some point. We don't need to make it 'American'. We should just enjoy the beauty of the tree, no matter the origin or current owner.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The All American Bonsai Award was awarded to my American Larch Bonsai. The tree was in a rustic rock scoop container which happened to be American made. The stand was lake bottom drift wood which was selected to enhance the wild natural feel of the tree.
Not all Bonsai or displays have a theme or intended story but this display was my tribute to the Adirondack mountains. I have memories with family & friends skiing, hiking camping from the time I was 2 years old. The beauty has flooded my spirit as long as I can remember and I directly link my love of Bonsai to it.
The other elements in the display were selected to help convey the atmosphere of the Adirondacks.
The slab planting with a small but ancient Red Spruce joined with moss, ferns and stone was composed especially for this display.
A small container resembling a tree stump with mushrooms at the base with a small fern was added to wed the larger pieces. The container was made by my friend Pauline Muth and
is a treasure to me.
Finally, the dark, weathered and deeply fissured barn wood tied the composition together in a way that felt right to me. The process of creating this display started with removing the Larch which I collected 25 years ago,from a Japanese drum pot which looked ok but it was not until the planting with a second Larch in the scoop was complete did it truly feel right to me. That was 3 1/2 years ago.The trees were slowly detuned from a tighter look to a more relaxed feeling. The surface was slowly planted with ferns, small plants and a small ancient Balsam fir to complete my vision.
The rest of the composition was created one piece at a time considering many options. My goal was to create a tribute to the place my love of nature and Bonsai sprung from, the Adirondack Mountains.
My display captured that feeling for me and that many others were captivated by its magic was most gratifying. My intention was not to win the All American Bonsai Award but I was honored that it did.
I most sincerely congratulate you. Sounds like you did it all for the right very personal reasons, and that resonated with the people giving the awards. That is so much more pure and honest than launching all of one’s efforts into what we believe the judges want to see.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
before you can define something, it seems nessesary to understand what it is....

it would be nice to see examples of American Bonsai, here...anywhere , in examples, side by side with...bonsai...if it is a unique established style...

I don’t know enough on these matters to be an authority or even novice...

when I look up Indian or Viet bonsai...I look up Indian or Viet bonsai...or Canadian bonsai....or Venezuelan bonsai, for example...

words are important, synonyms and and culture are... location is important

the etymology of words is significant

North America...pizza
Instead of calling it Pho, should change it
Sushi...change it

It seems insulting...to other cultures

I’m hungry I guess...let’s stop saying Taco....I need to change “taco”...call it a Cheeto crunch wavecurl..taco....we all know...do we need an elephant in the room?

Call in deep dish -Chicago, or a hotdog -a sandwich...who cares, it’s hotdogs and pizza

The U.S. is one of the youngest nations on the planet, and has decimated the tounges of our native languages..we (I) speak a conglomeration of other cultures languages...practically none our own

And we have none our own.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The All American Bonsai Award was awarded to my American Larch Bonsai. The tree was in a rustic rock scoop container which happened to be American made. The stand was lake bottom drift wood which was selected to enhance the wild natural feel of the tree.
Not all Bonsai or displays have a theme or intended story but this display was my tribute to the Adirondack mountains. I have memories with family & friends skiing, hiking camping from the time I was 2 years old. The beauty has flooded my spirit as long as I can remember and I directly link my love of Bonsai to it.
The other elements in the display were selected to help convey the atmosphere of the Adirondacks.
The slab planting with a small but ancient Red Spruce joined with moss, ferns and stone was composed especially for this display.
A small container resembling a tree stump with mushrooms at the base with a small fern was added to wed the larger pieces. The container was made by my friend Pauline Muth and
is a treasure to me.
Finally, the dark, weathered and deeply fissured barn wood tied the composition together in a way that felt right to me. The process of creating this display started with removing the Larch which I collected 25 years ago,from a Japanese drum pot which looked ok but it was not until the planting with a second Larch in the scoop was complete did it truly feel right to me. That was 3 1/2 years ago.The trees were slowly detuned from a tighter look to a more relaxed feeling. The surface was slowly planted with ferns, small plants and a small ancient Balsam fir to complete my vision.
The rest of the composition was created one piece at a time considering many options. My goal was to create a tribute to the place my love of nature and Bonsai sprung from, the Adirondack Mountains.
My display captured that feeling for me and that many others were captivated by its magic was most gratifying. My intention was not to win the All American Bonsai Award but I was honored that it did.
Well stated. To me bonsai is just as much about the story as well as the litteral view.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think, from my experiences meeting bonsai artists and seeing many "styles" of bonsai, that what is emerging as American bonsai consists of yamadori trained as bonsai. Having been shaped by uniquely American natural conditions these trees may be inherently American much like European yamadori has a unique look.
I have yet to see techniques, common or uncommon, applied to the trees that qualify it as a separate style. It's bonsai or penjing plain and simple.

Until someone creates something clearly outside the foundations of the many established schools there is only vain discussion.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think, from my experiences meeting bonsai artists and seeing many "styles" of bonsai, that what is emerging as American bonsai consists of yamadori trained as bonsai. Having been shaped by uniquely American natural conditions these trees may be inherently American much like European yamadori has a unique look.
I have yet to see techniques, common or uncommon, applied to the trees that qualify it as a separate style. It's bonsai or penjing plain and simple.

Until someone creates something clearly outside the foundations of the many established schools there is only vain discussion.
Well said.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is a treasure to me.
Hi Mark. Your tree and it’s display were quite impactful and moving to me. I live in New Mexico and have a deep attachment to the surrounding landscape and I’m currently working on multiple local trees and accents to be displayed with a great deal of emotion attached. Congrats on the award and for inspiring a younger (sort of) Bonsai enthusiast. I didn’t even see it in person, but the fact that @William N. Valavanis includes an all American award is awesome, and it speaks to what you did that an internet image inspired me so. Your story and emotional attachment to the space and tree truly defines American Bonsai in my opinion.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dada art before the artists signed a toilet bowl and called it dada. Maybe the Americansai is evolving just like that, it's moving away from traditional standards.

1538287933585.png

i really like this Duchamp...but what is with those circular rivets on pots, I do not care for or understand them
this heavy steel..iron...evokes

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In Japan Bonsai was started through trading for medicine and is about family.

In the USA Bonsai was started for the ego and is about ownership and money..

Hai Much different.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Wow!!! What a load of crap.

Defend your point. Exactly what percentage of this huge forum is doing bonsai on a professional level? I say professional because I think the ones making money from this endeavor are the ones that should be making the decisions. We are just followers, we are not decision makers nor innovators just copiers.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Defend your point. Exactly what percentage of this huge forum is doing bonsai on a professional level? I say professional because I think the ones making money from this endeavor are the ones that should be making the decisions. We are just followers, we are not decision makers nor innovators just copiers.
If you define "Professional" as those who make their income totally through bonsai then that number is very small. If you define "Professional" as those who produce what would be called world class bonsai that number would be vastly larger. However; I know some so called professionals that could not style their way around a first rate pre-bonsai costing $10,000 dollars. Maybe if you could post some photos of your work so we could get an idea of your skill levels a more definitive answer could follow.

I make money from time to time as many on this site do but my entire income is not made from bonsai. Some define a professional as one who makes any income from bonsai. Your statement that " We are just followers, we are not decision makers nor innovators just copiers." is in itself condescending and deserving of proof. Just because you are not a master with a studio does not mean you are not capable of, or have not come up with innovations others would want to copy. It is an independent mind and indomitable spirit that innovates --- or fails.

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is a treasure to me.

I would just like to convey how much I loved your tree, and display! I am just north of the border, and this is by far the greatest composition I have seen representing our north eastern mountains. Congratulations on a well deserved award.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe if you could post some photos of your work so we could get an idea of your skill levels a more definitive answer could follow.

OK, My point is still solid, but here you go.....

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 45
  • lgjun2.JPG
    lgjun2.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_00111.JPG
    DSC_00111.JPG