New thread because these azalea (?) Might be better than i thought in front yard

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
They look like old roots or bushes that push through after i raked last year 20200723_193940.jpg20200723_193933.jpg20200723_193456.jpg

Attachments

• 20200723_193448.jpg
    20200723_193448.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 17

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Red stems are less characteristic of Azalea than Bear Berry.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They winter-kill tops here in 6B MI, too.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The last image that looks like a thumbnail image had flash on and you can see the very old looking root or stump cut

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
do the leaf-hairs tell anything or common on various species? someone in other thread asked about horizontal hairs i think?

i saw some bearberry bonsai on google, cotoneaster is a synonym? looks like MA does have these...im curious what going on
with mine, because the new growth looks to be on very old roots or stumps. i trimmed hedging around these
to let more light in and mild fertilized yesterday.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Heres a shot of a plant at local college that looks like what i have. Maybe the bearberry gets bigger than i thought or theyre azaleas20200724_185701.jpg

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't see the parallel hairs on the center of the leaves. I see lots of finer hairs on the edges, though. So my guess now is that it is not an azalea.

Example of leaves on one of my azalea:
1595862913397.png

I tried to take a picture of an azalea with red shoots (because it has red flowers), but it was hard to capture the hairs properly because of lighting and focus:
1595862966467.png

So because of very fine hairs on the edges of the leaves, but not the larger parallel hairs all over the leaf surface, I'd say I am not sure enough to say it is an azalea.

Looks a lot like one though in terms of how the shoots have grown and where the leaves are placed. So if you do see the hairs, I guess it is. Otherwise, might it be a rhododendron?

Wait, so the plant you saw at the college campus which you think is the same plant. I think I see fruits that look exactly like those of azalea, exactly at the base of the new shoots where the flowers used to be. I'd that that plant is an azalea. So if they are the same, yours is. So I am unsure. Can you take an in focus picture of the dead flowers/fruits?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can't see the parallel hairs on the center of the leaves. I see lots of finer hairs on the edges, though. So my guess now is that it is not an azalea.

Example of leaves on one of my azalea:
View attachment 318806

I tried to take a picture of an azalea with red shoots (because it has red flowers), but it was hard to capture the hairs properly because of lighting and focus:
View attachment 318807

So because of very fine hairs on the edges of the leaves, but not the larger parallel hairs all over the leaf surface, I'd say I am not sure enough to say it is an azalea.

Looks a lot like one though in terms of how the shoots have grown and where the leaves are placed. So if you do see the hairs, I guess it is. Otherwise, might it be a rhododendron?

Wait, so the plant you saw at the college campus which you think is the same plant. I think I see fruits that look exactly like those of azalea, exactly at the base of the new shoots where the flowers used to be. I'd that that plant is an azalea. So if they are the same, yours is. So I am unsure. Can you take an in focus picture of the dead flowers/fruits?

thanks, ill get some more photos soon. it does look a lot like the college plant, so maybe it is azalea. the young bearberry google images often looks like these too, so for now its a bit of a mystery. all i know if they are growing off decent sized old roots or trunk, so thats kind of fun to look forward to. ill prob make sure they have some good insulation with bark before the winter and let them do their thing until the spring.

im going to have like 4 digups/rootwork/pot/prune and 10 repots with root and hardcuts...lol

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Azalea usually have substantial lengths of bare stem below the upper portions where the new leaves are, typically ~50% of the length. (Leo. ?)

Top Bottom