New to Accents

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This may seems like an ignorant question to some and guess what...it is. How do you typically overwinter your accent plants? I live in mid-Michigan (5b) and just began to work with accent plants this growing season. The plan is right now overwinter them the same way I do my trees as the accents are native species (ferns, etc).

Is this correct or should I be taking a more cautious approach. I realize this somewhat general and that specific species may require more care than others.

Please advise.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an old grow box filled with old bonsai soil. I bury my pots with the plants in this grow box starting about now. I keep watering the box until I pack it away with all if my trees. It solves several problems..

1. Those pots tend to wonder everywhere. It's nice to have them all in one place.
2. They tend to dry out in the spring or ended up sideways packed between pots. This way I can pile a lump of snow on them in the spring and they don't dry up.
3. If you put them in soon enough some roots will grow into the medium in the box. Better roots better survival.
4. With some I take them out of the pots because I'm using the pot for something else next summer.

Then the box if accents just goes next to all the other trees getting wintered. I really like having them all together in the spring.

Top Bottom