New to all this

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

I was given a bonsai about two months ago and fell in love with them. I ended up getting two more. My first one was trimmed to the stump by the previous owner. Since I got it it has grown a little. I even got a seedling from it. I don't know what kind it is.

My other two are doing well. Growing nicely. I repotted the two, as a bonsai place said to.

I currently live in central Florida.

My main concern is if the first one will ever grow and resemble a tree ever again.

Thanks for any advice!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi,

What species are your trees? Can you post pictures?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not sure what the third one is, as there's really nothing much to it other than leafless stumps.

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Same here. It has had some growth, so I'm hesitant to give up on it! Is there anything I can do to aid it's growth?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Let the soil dry before watering that stump. It may shoot some new growth if you cross your fingers hard enough. If it does sprout back then you can water more as it has more foliage.

I would put both the fukien tea and the ginseng ficus in short but wide containers with good soil and let them put on a bunch of growth so they are healthy. They can be repotted when it's warm out (60+ degrees). For ideas on the ficus search Adam Lavigne's blog for ginseng ficus:

http://adamaskwhy.com

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Let the soil dry before watering that stump. It may shoot some new growth if you cross your fingers hard enough. If it does sprout back then you can water more as it has more foliage.

I would put both the fukien tea and the ginseng ficus in short but wide containers with good soil and let them put on a bunch of growth so they are healthy. They can be repotted when it's warm out (60+ degrees). For ideas on the ficus search Adam Lavigne's blog for ginseng ficus:

http://adamaskwhy.com

Thank you! It has sprouted a branch. The branch has two nodes on it. But hasn't done much growing since it cooled. I bring in all the bonsai in when it dips below 60F.

I have a bonsai place in town I can get a proper pot and soil. Can I repot now?

Thanks again!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Now isn't really the time to be repotting these trees unless there's some sort of major issue with the soil/drainage. They seem happy enough, so I would wait until Spring. Until then, just water properly and protect from freezing. Have fun!

Reaction score
welcome here it's a great platform to discuss your problems.

Top Bottom