New to Bald Cypress

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
Bald Cypress growing very well. My first full season with this species. I can see two types of growth. The feathery soft growth which I assume will be shed in Autumn and a coarser growth with central ribs that are beginning to redden. Are these the beginnings of ramification into fine branching for the future? And can I shorten this coarse growth or will that make it shed in the Winter? I am using my knowledge of dawn redwoods here although I know different species. Balds are SO similar to redwoods I'm amazed they are are classified differently.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm no expert, but some thoughts - bald cypress are deciduous conifers, so they will lose their leaves in the fall regardless of what you do or don't do. Ramification is created by cutting and re-growing. The goal is to prune back a branch to a fork and then grow that out. Cut each of those two to get 4, 4 to get 8 etc. over many seasons. The branch can ramify on its own as it grows naturally, but that will not have the proportions one is looking for in bonsai.

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks! This photo shows the two types of growth I was talking about. It shows both the feathery soft growth and the growth which is showing signs of lignification.

Attachments

• A83AFB26-B310-400E-8E99-404187C9410C.jpeg
    A83AFB26-B310-400E-8E99-404187C9410C.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I use the rule: If it's not lignified and if it doesn't have branches, it's still just a leaf and will be gone in the winter, so if you want to keep it, let it grow first before pruning it.

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
I use the rule: If it's not lignified and if it doesn't have branches, it's still just a leaf and will be gone in the winter, so if you want to keep it, let it grow first before pruning it.
That is exactly what I am thinking. I can tell the growth that will lignify from that which will be dropped. Forgive my lack of basic knowledge, very few people grow Bald Cypress as bonsai in UK.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New branching (shoots) on BC typically have buds near their ends. Leaves do not. Both can look similar when emerging from the trunk or branch. The new shoots have a growth bud at the end and may have two or three others on the sides of the ends as the main shoot extends. Leaves are just leaves.

Ramification can be increased by pinching out that growth bud at the end of a shoot. That can spur additional buds back behind. That is part of the final refinement stages however. Doing so on developing trees can slow it down significantly.

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
New branching (shoots) on BC typically have buds near their ends. Leaves do not. Both can look similar when emerging from the trunk or branch. The new shoots have a growth bud at the end and may have two or three others on the sides of the ends as the main shoot extends. Leaves are just leaves.

Ramification can be increased by pinching out that growth bud at the end of a shoot. That can spur additional buds back behind. That is part of the final refinement stages however. Doing so on developing trees can slow it down significantly.
Thank you so much for that tip!! This is the information I need. This tree is in refinement (I should have mentioned that) so I need to know how to proceed with it. Thanks again!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you so much for that tip!! This is the information I need. This tree is in refinement (I should have mentioned that) so I need to know how to proceed with it. Thanks again!
I would like to see this tree in refinement. :)

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
The history of this tree is short. I purchased it from a private hobbyist last summer, assuming it to be some sort of redwood. I paid £50 for it (he wanted £80). It wasn't identified as a BC until this spring when it started budding out all over the place. Very few hobbyists here have BC so there is very little information on their care and development. I've been doing bonsai for over 50 years and it is the first one I have ever seen. So, I'm grateful for your help!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

rockm - oh maybe I have always misunderstood this. Are you saying that there are two distinct types of shoots, branches and leaves? A branch isn't just a leaf that was allowed to grow long enough to begin branching? If so, my mind is blown!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm - oh maybe I have always misunderstood this. Are you saying that there are two distinct types of shoots, branches and leaves? A branch isn't just a leaf that was allowed to grow long enough to begin branching? If so, my mind is blown!
BC produce branches and leaves, just like other trees. A branch is not just a leaf that extends, just as that isn't the case with other deciduous trees. On BC it can be harder to tell the difference (at first as both emerge), as new shoots can have "feathering" vanes on their stems just like new leaves. However it becomes obvious, which is which, as new shoots lignify and become woody tissue.

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score

Yes - there is two types of growth. Soft feathery (like Dawn) and growth which will become branches in the future. All the soft feathery stuff will drop in fall.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here goes with some images. The trunk measures 40 cm soil to apex and it is in an oval pot measuring 30 cm.View attachment 492536View attachment 492537View attachment 492539
I like this BC a lot but it is far from the final refinement steps. It still needs a number of years of training the branches and cutting them back for ramification before getting to refinement. For me I look at a BC, I will follow they key branches down below the trunk. From the trunk to the tips of the branches, I would like to see multiple branch splits before I regard the tree as in refinement phase. When I look at the branches on your tree, I see 2-3 branch splits at most for all the branches. That is not a tree in refinement phase in my book. Furthermore, the apex development for this tree is not done either.

It is a nice tree however.

Newbietoredwood

Sapling
Reaction score
I like this BC a lot but it is far from the final refinement steps. It still needs a number of years of training the branches and cutting them back for ramification before getting to refinement. For me I look at a BC, I will follow they key branches down below the trunk. From the trunk to the tips of the branches, I would like to see multiple branch splits before I regard the tree as in refinement phase. When I look at the branches on your tree, I see 2-3 branch splits at most for all the branches. That is not a tree in refinement phase in my book. Furthermore, the apex development for this tree is not done either.

It is a nice tree however.
Thank you! I agree that this tree has a long way to go yet. At least I now have a better understanding of how to proceed. The tree looks very 'wild' at the moment because I have allowed it to grow unchecked without the knowledge required to control it. You have given me the confidence to take it forward and I really appreciate your input. Best regards, Gwen.

Top Bottom