New to Bonsai and Brazillian Rain Tree

brt_qa

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got a brazillian rain tree and I have been trying my best to take care of it. Wanted to get some feedback on my setup and any tips anybody can suggest. I live in Montreal, so my tree stays indoor. I bought an SF-4000 light which is a 450 WATT LED full spectrum light - white, blue, red, and IR (3000K, 5000K, 660nm, and IR 760nm). I keep the tree beside a large window. The light stays on for about 10-12 hours per day, with dimmer setting in the morning and in the evening. Do you think it is getting enough light? The soil is potting soil, which I want to change to something with coarser sediment but since I just got the tree I don't want to repot it yet. Any suggestions on soil mix? I keep it beside a water tray and mist it every other day. Most days I have a small fan giving it a weak breeze. I also give it fertilizer 20-20-20 1 tbs per 1 L once every two weeks, should I give it fertilizer more often?

Attachments

• thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome! Looks like a decent light setup for the tree. Light is exponentially powerful - so the closer you put it to the tree the more light it will get. My rain trees I can put within 6" or less of most grow lights without burning them. You'll know if you are too close.

I'd still recommend getting it outside once temps get above 50ish at night. Can't beat being outside for these.

On watering - you have to check the soil. Indoors with potting mix (instead of free draining bonsai medium) is a tough one. It's not going to like it long term, and it is really easy to overwater and rot roots. It's also easy to over fertilize if it's not growing hard and you have wet potting soil.

If this was mine, I'd put it outside as soon as possible and daily watch how moist the soil is by digging in with a chopstick or finger. Water when it's getting semi-dry a CM deep. Then hopefully by mid-June it would be pushing new shoots everywhere. Repot into a pumice/lava/akadama mix and let it roll all summer to recover. Fall, cut back to shape and get it back inside to rest all winter. Repeat.

That's how I roll with mine!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And in my experience you'll want to lose that humidity tray. It'll make the pot hold more water than you need.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Light timing is probably OK. My BRT have 14 hours of light period in the winter when I have them inside.

Stick a chopstick in the soil and water when it gets almost dry, but not bone dry.

Stop misting, it doesn't need it.

You don't need to keep water in the tray either. I keep mine in a large tray only to catch excess water when I water them but I put the pots up on little tiles so they drain well and font sit in the water.

Your fertilizer schedule is fine.

Repot in late June or early July. Repot into a good bonsai soil mix, but keep in mind that when you change soil, you'll need to relearn its watering needs. My BRTs water needs change throughout the season depending on temperature and their growth. They do have a semi dormant month or two during the winter when growth slows and they don't need water as often.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

I recently got a brazillian rain tree and I have been trying my best to take care of it. Wanted to get some feedback on my setup and any tips anybody can suggest. I live in Montreal, so my tree stays indoor. I bought an SF-4000 light which is a 450 WATT LED full spectrum light - white, blue, red, and IR (3000K, 5000K, 660nm, and IR 760nm). I keep the tree beside a large window. The light stays on for about 10-12 hours per day, with dimmer setting in the morning and in the evening. Do you think it is getting enough light? The soil is potting soil, which I want to change to something with coarser sediment but since I just got the tree I don't want to repot it yet. Any suggestions on soil mix? I keep it beside a water tray and mist it every other day. Most days I have a small fan giving it a weak breeze. I also give it fertilizer 20-20-20 1 tbs per 1 L once every two weeks, should I give it fertilizer more often?

Last photo shows your spot is tight! Well done! Some artsy horticulture always plays well on date night, furreal! Ya'll need a shag install, however..... :D

Is there any way to angle the lights to provide even coverage? Give it a table and tie your chains off to make them tilt? This set-up pictured negates exposure to low branching.

Keeping it inside will be a battle against lots of challenges.

I have a few and they can do well even in our northern climates. Enjoy yours!!

...here's one.....
DSC00669.JPG DSC00670.JPG 🌿

brt_qa

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks like a decent light setup for the tree. Light is exponentially powerful - so the closer you put it to the tree the more light it will get. My rain trees I can put within 6" or less of most grow lights without burning them. You'll know if you are too close.

I'd still recommend getting it outside once temps get above 50ish at night. Can't beat being outside for these.

On watering - you have to check the soil. Indoors with potting mix (instead of free draining bonsai medium) is a tough one. It's not going to like it long term, and it is really easy to overwater and rot roots. It's also easy to over fertilize if it's not growing hard and you have wet potting soil.

If this was mine, I'd put it outside as soon as possible and daily watch how moist the soil is by digging in with a chopstick or finger. Water when it's getting semi-dry a CM deep. Then hopefully by mid-June it would be pushing new shoots everywhere. Repot into a pumice/lava/akadama mix and let it roll all summer to recover. Fall, cut back to shape and get it back inside to rest all winter. Repeat.

That's how I roll with mine!
Thank you for the suggestion of lowering the light, I did and the tree likes it so far. The branches look almost more alive now. For soil, I think mid-June is my plan for repoting and then it will stay outside for the summer

brt_qa

Seed
Reaction score
Light timing is probably OK. My BRT have 14 hours of light period in the winter when I have them inside.

Stick a chopstick in the soil and water when it gets almost dry, but not bone dry.

Stop misting, it doesn't need it.

You don't need to keep water in the tray either. I keep mine in a large tray only to catch excess water when I water them but I put the pots up on little tiles so they drain well and font sit in the water.

Your fertilizer schedule is fine.

Repot in late June or early July. Repot into a good bonsai soil mix, but keep in mind that when you change soil, you'll need to relearn its watering needs. My BRTs water needs change throughout the season depending on temperature and their growth. They do have a semi dormant month or two during the winter when growth slows and they don't need water as often.
I think I will take your suggestion and remove the water tray and will stop misting. Thank you! Montreal is really humid in the summer anyhow. Especially since the current soil retains so much moisture. I think I need to cut back on watering as well. I only have two bonsai trees which makes me want to take care for them often, I think I need more trees to spread my attention and not over-care for any particular one haha.

brt_qa

Seed
Reaction score
Last photo shows your spot is tight! Well done! Some artsy horticulture always plays well on date night, furreal! Ya'll need a shag install, however..... :D

Is there any way to angle the lights to provide even coverage? Give it a table and tie your chains off to make them tilt? This set-up pictured negates exposure to low branching.

Keeping it inside will be a battle against lots of challenges.

I have a few and they can do well even in our northern climates. Enjoy yours!!

...here's one.....
View attachment 432774 View attachment 432775 🌿
First, let me say. Your trees are absolutely spectacular! Wow. I want mine to grow into that....maybe one day. I will fidle with the light angles and keep you posted, I would love to here your feedback

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom