New to Bonsai and plants (chinese elms from seed)

chris27989

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to bonsai and am trying to grow some Chinese elms from seeds and I've had them growing for about 3 - 5 weeks. I have 2 seeds which are growing into seedlings and I'm unsure if these are weeds from the soil or are actually the Chinese elm I'm hoping for. I've posted some pictures (sorry about the quality its taken from my phone) underneath any one that can shed some light onto what these seedlings are will help me greatly.
Thanks Chris

17052011087.jpg

17052011084.jpg

17052011081-1.jpg

17052011081.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You will need to wait a bit till the next set of leaves can be seen. When they do, try to get us some clearer pictures that show the shape of the leaf.

Also, welcome to bonsai and plants it is a wonderful way of life!

BTW update your location with your city and state. That will help people give you better advice.

chris27989

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The tree is coming on daily so hopefully within the next week or so I can get some pictures up.
I've been looking of the internet about bonsai food and was wondering when should the plant start on the liquid food?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, when the seedlings issue their true leaves then you can start. My preference is to start lightly with either fish emulsion or other organic soluble. Chemical fertilizers are ok but they tend to produce long internodes in the beginning. If the plan is for a larger tree then it's not a problem. With Elms initial internode length is usually not a problem but with other species you might need to think about what size and style you will be growing.
Wood

Jake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris i'm in exactly the same boat as you mate (except i'm over in kent). mine were planted about 5 weeks ago and i've had a plant come up that looks identical; I also thought it was a weed but after yours i've started to hope. Out of interest where did you get your seeds from? i ordered from nicky's nursery and i'll let you know soon if their any good :)

chris27989

Seed
Reaction score
hi Jake, I got mine from eBay but if yours are looking similar then you've given me a bit of hope. I planted 8 seeds at the same time an only 2 have come up so far but there was about a week in-between them sprouting so I'm still hoping the others will be ok.. How many are you trying to grow ?

Top Bottom