New to Bonsai and rescued

Simmo1981

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help me, I am totally new to Bonsai's. I rescued a Bonsai tree from a skip which looked pretty dead but u thought I'd try, over the last few weeks it has started to grow leaves, which I am really happy about, however I really don't know what to do next, do I need to prune it, leave it or what. I have looked on line and believe it is a chinese elm, maybe 5/6 years old at a big guess. I Water it when soil is dry at top it is keep in the corner of one of my rooms gets morning sunshine. I leave in a flat so have no outdoor space. Any and all help, tips and hints would be greatly appreciated. Steve

Attachments

• 20220109_092537.jpg
    20220109_092537.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220109_092441.jpg
    20220109_092441.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220109_092420.jpg
    20220109_092420.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 101

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome! And how wonderful it is to see your rescued tree leafing out under your care -- so many folks write because their first trees are having a rough go of it. My best guess is that you are in the UK, so I'd say pick up a copy of Bonsai Basics, by Colin Lewis. (He says quite plainly that you CAN keep Chinese Elm indoors, BTW.) Best Wishes!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Leave it, let it get strong, remove the dead parts when it's strong and then decide on what to prune and what to keep.
If you can put it near a south facing window, it'll probably be happier in the long run.

Nice save and welcome to the team!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to crazy!

If you can update your profile with your approximate location and/or USDA growing zone it'll help us know exactly what your seasons are like, and you'll get more specific advice.

I'm not much help on tree ID myself, but it does look elm-ish. If it is a Chinese elm you will hear folks say it can't be kept indoors, but it's obviously under better care now than when you found it, so you must be doing something right. 😉

You might think about some supplemental lighting just to keep it a little happier. Even a cheap full spectrum LED grow bulb in a thrift store desk lamp will help. It may have enough light to keep itself alive right now, but there's a big difference between surviving a little longer, and thriving. Make sure you rotate the tree once or twice a week so it gets even light coverage.
Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere and it's winter right now, the air inside will be a bit dry, so I suggest misting it all over with a regular spray bottle once or twice a day.

Otherwise, like mentioned before, wait for it to get strong, then clip out the dead stuff.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Doing pretty well for being new to bonsai. Got it growing and recovering. You can clip the dead off now without problem. If it started to leaf out under your care post rescue, again, you are doing well….but may need more light in the immediate future.

Like others have said, get your location in your profile…..more help will come.

Simmo1981

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks all!!! Yes am in the UK and will update my profile, I have moved it to south West facing window now as best I have :), will invest in some feed if needed and also anything else needed.

Noticed a few said prune/don't prune, I wouldn't even know we're to start at :) I see all these pics of perfect tree shape mini and would love that but it will take time

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice job on the rescue! What I'm curious about is whether the more experienced folks would advise on getting the plant outside -- or at least somewhere much colder than room temperature. My instincts (which are very much up for debate) think you'd want to induce dormancy as soon as possible, let the tree regroup over the next couple of months and then wake up in the spring for a fresh start.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks all!!! Yes am in the UK and will update my profile, I have moved it to south West facing window now as best I have :), will invest in some feed if needed and also anything else needed.

Noticed a few said prune/don't prune, I wouldn't even know we're to start at :) I see all these pics of perfect tree shape mini and would love that but it will take time
That's the double edged sword of bonsai.
You have all the time in the world...
Because it takes all the time in the world.🙄

Your pruning dilemma is a matter of preference really. If you know something is dead, it won't hurt anything to remove it now. If you're not certain a part is dead, or where the dead ends and living begins, leave it until you can tell for sure.
Any sort of elm is REALLY light hungry, so as much light as you can get it is the direction to head. If it's a Chinese elm, they're a subtropical species very common in bonsai, and dormancy is pretty much optional. I would disagree with trying to put it into dormancy right now, though. It's spending its energy reserves on growth already, and I would be inclined to let it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would disagree with trying to put it into dormancy right now, though. It's spending its energy reserves on growth already, and I would be inclined to let it.
So glad you chimed in on that, Shady, and am sure I'll learn something from it. Would you also recommend feeding? Got my fingers crossed for this one. Looking forward to updates.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a mass produced chinese elm. I would leave inside at this point and get it as much light as possible. Grow lights may be your best best to aid in recovery. Sounds lile you're doing a good job on watering. Good luck.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So glad you chimed in on that, Shady, and am sure I'll learn something from it. Would you also recommend feeding? Got my fingers crossed for this one. Looking forward to updates.
There are plenty here who might know better for this exact situation than I would, but as a rule of thumb you don't fertilize a sick tree.
That said, I don't think a low dose of osmocote or similar on top of the soil would wreck it. Just a pinch on top so it doesn't release too fast, and then if you think it might not be helpful you have the option to pick it out and flush the soil.

Edit: I've heard of people dosing sick plants with sugar water. Theoretically it should help the tree build its carbon reserves as long as there's any decent roots left. I'd go with maybe 15% solution once a week so it doesn't attract bugs.
I really do sound smarter than I am though, so grain of salt.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Sugar actually ties up Nitrogen so adding sugar may starve the tree.

A little fertilizer won't hurt. There's a good chance that the tree is already starved so withholding fert won't be doing it any favours.
I agree that no pruning now is a good move. The tree needs food and needs leaves and sunlight to make food. Plenty of time to trim and chop when the tree is healthy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would guess it got tossed in the skip in fall by someone who thought it was dead.

Welcome to Crazy!

Continue that theory and it is already breaking dormancy now, so redormancying it would probably kill it!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If the tree is weak and stressed, the worst thing you can do is prune it, which will simply make it weaker. Right now it is using what little energy it has to push buds. Once it is done extending new growth, the leaves will harden and the tree will use photosynthesis to generate food/energy. Once it has rested and is looking strong and like a mop, you can prune back the unnecessary growth.

There is no reason to rush. If you need to, you can prune back a strong Chinese elm all the way to the trunk and it will erupt with new growth everywhere. IF it is strong. If it is weak, doing so will potentially kill it.

So let the tree grow wild a little bit. You will soon learn how strong it is, whether any of the branches are dead, etc. Then you can plan a path forward.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sugar actually ties up Nitrogen so adding sugar may starve the tree.

A little fertilizer won't hurt. There's a good chance that the tree is already starved so withholding fert won't be doing it any favours.
I agree that no pruning now is a good move. The tree needs food and needs leaves and sunlight to make food. Plenty of time to trim and chop when the tree is healthy.
Yeah, the sugar water thing always did seem a bit over simplified. Never tried it myself. I really need to find a good resource on beginner fert chemistry.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I add a tiny pinch of fertilizer in whenever I water my indoor plants or every other time. Like... barely anything at all really... like 1/4 of a soda bottle cap full. It seems to help give them a little boost. I just wouldnt douse them with fertilizer. The tree, if it's been inside a while, and hasnt had any fertilizer, might benefit from slow introduction until optimal health returns.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
If the tree is weak and stressed, the worst thing you can do is prune it, which will simply make it weaker. Right now it is using what little energy it has to push buds. Once it is done extending new growth, the leaves will harden and the tree will use photosynthesis to generate food/energy. Once it has rested and is looking strong and like a mop, you can prune back the unnecessary growth.

There is no reason to rush. If you need to, you can prune back a strong Chinese elm all the way to the trunk and it will erupt with new growth everywhere. IF it is strong. If it is weak, doing so will potentially kill it.

So let the tree grow wild a little bit. You will soon learn how strong it is, whether any of the branches are dead, etc. Then you can plan a path forward.
I'm fairly new to Bonsai and think this advice is very useful.

If it was my tree I would leave it totally alone for now until it starts growing really strong. Just watering whenever the top of the soil starts to dry. If its actively growing I would fertilise. Personally I'd want to get it out of that soil and into some good quality soil as soon as its healthy enough to repot. Check out kaizen bonsai soils they have some good quality soils in the UK.

Simmo1981

Seed
Reaction score
Update....... The little tree seems to be doing well, I have even giving it a little water often and plenty of sunshine (well British sunshine when we get it). I will leave it to carry on growing before pruning advice on how to get it to grow and look like a mini tree :) 20220121_070558.jpg20220121_070622.jpg

Top Bottom