New to Bonsai and would like input

bdeddy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As the title says, I am new to this and am just getting into it. This is a Juniper chinensis that I pick up about a week ago. I have done all the cutting I want to do at this time and just going to let it stabilize and grow for a while. I was planning on a wind swept style bonsai for this plant. Tips, comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 49

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As the title says, I am new to this and am just getting into it. This is a Juniper chinensis that I pick up about a week ago. I have done all the cutting I want to do at this time and just going to let it stabilize and grow for a while. I was planning on a wind swept style bonsai for this plant. Tips, comments welcome.

This tree is just too young for that kind of commitment in style or form to be practical. It would be best for you and for the tree if you could be happy learning how to control the foliage how to wire and how to repot regardless of the style. Be happy with the tree and see what the tree gives you as far as the style is concerned. To often we ruin trees by making arbitrary decisions that in the end become contrary to the trees natural tendencies.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree with Vance bdeddy don't be so set on a style or direction. Get familiar with the techinques of bonsai and enjoy your tree. And for goodness sake don't take it inside when it gets cold. Good luck and welcome to the site.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Windswept and Literati should be saved for later. Those two styles require all the norms to be broken. It's hard to break a norm when you don't even know them yet!!

Enjoy learning and let it grow.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
I was now able to open the attachment and get a good look at the tree. Your going in the right direction. Seems to be in bonsai soil and a slightly oversized pot (good) the foliage is open so light can get inside to the lower branches. Your plan to let it grow and get healthy is on track. Be careful not to overwater. This site if full of information and links to anything you want.

bdeddy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate it.

I have a lot to learn and I am just starting on my path. My comment on style wasn't meant to sound concrete, It was just what I was seeing after I got rid of some of the dense foliage and was looking at the way the branches were naturally going and I thought I could help it along the way by pruning, wiring and growing through time.

That said, I have seen some amazing transformations of beginning and even existing bonsai plants that I would have never thought possible. A product of true masters at the craft, which I can only hope to achieve that skill level some day.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom