New to Bonsai, bought a a Juniper of unknown species or origin

Reaction score
Beautifully shaped, nineteen year old plant, I keep in a south facing, sunny window indoors. We live in upstate, South Carolina. Rarely below 25f in Winter outdoors. I fear I dried-out a portion of plant by infrequent watering. I water now when surface dries, every four days, until water runs through container. Can someone give me some guidelines, please?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First off it needs to be outside, junipers are NOT an indoor tree, they are temperate and need a winter dormancy.
A sheltered location out of the sun and wind and mulched up to the first branches is the best way to protect trees outside in winter.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, Aaron. Do I water in winter.
It depends on your climate, you should update your location in your profile so that people with similar climates can give you some advice.
For me I need to water most of my trees every 7 to 10 days as I live in a mild climate where we freeze at night but can get pretty warm most days In Winter. If you live in a colder climate then I do, and you place the tree in a position like I had described, you may not have to water but maybe once a month. Most common term in Bonsai "it depends"

Aaron

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, Aaron. Do I water in winter.

Yes, do not keep it wet but never let it dry out completely, damp is good. When and if it freezes don't water and all will be ok. Keep an eye on it drying out when it is windy out in particular.

Grimmy

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add the location to profile so is always there to see. Adding pic or two of tree also helps greatly when asking advice;).

Top Bottom