New to bonsai; Can't tell if i should prune

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score
Just got my 6 year old carmona (fukien tea) last week and while i love the thick foliage it is already developing i feel like it is crowded with old leaves and i should prune to start developing the style and make way for new growth. Opinions? Any criticism is much appreciated

Attachments

• 20190709_101231.jpg
    20190709_101231.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190709_101217.jpg
    20190709_101217.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190709_101224.jpg
    20190709_101224.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190705_141742.jpg
    20190705_141742.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 54

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy.

Nice Name!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site.

Before we recommend anything about pruning it is important to know the environment in which you are keeping this tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any tips on the specimen?

Don't let mites get hold, especially indoors.

It'll drop its leaves if moved and then go on living if you act like you don't care. But let it think you're worried and it'll die.

Search Fukien by member @Anthony , I thrive off of what a tree Really is, and Anthony has posted these things about Fukien.
There's other BS too! Lol!

Sorce

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score

It'll drop its leaves if moved and then go on living if you act like you don't care. But let it think you're worried and it'll die.

Search Fukien by member @Anthony , I thrive off of what a tree Really is, and Anthony has posted these things about Fukien.

Sorce

Sorce
Thank you for the tips and i will definitely read those threads. Peace!

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Before we recommend anything about pruning it is important to know the environment in which you are keeping this tree.
I live in a 5b hardiness zone (Indianapolis, IN) and i have been keeping it outside on my balcony where it mostly gets shade with good direct sun in the early afternoon

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you know when the last repot was, the soil makeup or status of roots?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got back from Indianapolis!
Y'all got them English Roundabouts!

Sorce

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score
Do you know when the last repot was, the soil makeup or status of roots?
I got it from Brussels(seems like a popular vendor) and it is still in it's "training" pot (black plastic pot). I have been letting it adjust before i transfer it to the ceramic pot it came with. The soil is bonsai soil, 30% organic material i believe, came with the tree. I have not looked at the roots yet

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score
I just got back from Indianapolis!
Y'all got them English Roundabouts!

Sorce
Heh, yes they are annoying in my opinion. But they do make for smooth traffic, Carmel, IN is the worst

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's tough to keep Fukien tea in Indianapolis. I struggled with them in Chicago. They are a true tropical that thrives in heat and humidity. Your tree looks very healthy right now, but start planning for winter and where/how you will overwinter your tree.

Your tree doesn't look badly overgrown, and the soil looks good. If you want to prune anything, wait until new growth pushes out at least two pair of leaves, and you can prune back to a single pair on upper parts of the tree that are growing very strongly.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there a local Bonsai Club you can get personal help from:confused:?

FukiEthan

Seedling
Reaction score
It's tough to keep Fukien tea in Indianapolis. I struggled with them in Chicago. They are a true tropical that thrives in heat and humidity. Your tree looks very healthy right now, but start planning for winter and where/how you will overwinter your tree.

Your tree doesn't look badly overgrown, and the soil looks good. If you want to prune anything, wait until new growth pushes out at least two pair of leaves, and you can prune back to a single pair on upper parts of the tree that are growing very strongly.
Thanks for the tips, glad to know my tree looks healthy i don't have much of a gauge for that yet. As for winter, i have some full spectrum LEDs for light and i have a 3'x4' grow tent that's about 6' tall and was thinking about setting that up on the balcony if Fukien go dormant but i don't think they do, so will probably have the tent inside which traps all light and should keep the humidity up? Not totally sure

Top Bottom