New to bonsai, check out my trees

Ruve

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently I acquired this obsession, I mean hobby, a few months ago.

I'm an avid researcher and have a particular personality. I present my trees as they are currently for your viewing pleasure.

I have a few that I've worked on and some that are awaiting my guidance.

I'm particularly enjoying the boxwood (the brown dots are seals on cuts), as with all these trees, they are bought from stores like home depot and Menards. I spent a lot of time selecting them going through my criteria of trunk, nebari, movement, character and health.

My soil composition: akadama, pumice and sphagnum peat moss, even for the azalea.

The smaller pots on the left are cuttings which have rooting hormone powder applied and potted in sphagnum peat moss with lots of ventilation.

So, enjoy and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_123757.jpg
    IMG_20210401_123757.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210401_125711.jpg
    IMG_20210401_125711.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210401_125703.jpg
    IMG_20210401_125703.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20210328_211345.jpg
    IMG_20210328_211345.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210328_211338.jpg
    IMG_20210328_211338.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 124

Ruve

Seedling
Reaction score
Update: got my Japanese juniper cascade ready to be grown in today. Basic structure complete, repotted and will make the final major cut on the material next year.

In regards to the pot. It's a common garden white pot that I purchased for $17. I stained it with brown shoe polish and a wash with some paint. Worked like a charm. It now has character style and age to accompany the tree.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_201019.jpg
    IMG_20210401_201019.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 72

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! It can be so rewarding if not frustrating early on. Make the most of the senior member's knowledge here on the forum. It looks like youve done your research on soils, that's good. Find a local club (if they're meeting in person) and meet some live bonsai practitioners. The internet and this forum are great but nothing beats learning in person.

Ruve

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! It can be so rewarding if not frustrating early on. Make the most of the senior member's knowledge here on the forum. It looks like youve done your research on soils, that's good. Find a local club (if they're meeting in person) and meet some live bonsai practitioners. The internet and this forum are great but nothing beats learning in person.
I agree, in that nothing beats reality. I've already contacted several people in the bonsai community around my local area. I shall be meeting with them once spring is in full effect.

Thanks and have a great day.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to BNut.

Nice start you have going.
Be careful a strong breeze doesnt knock some of those off the railing.
Also be careful of the "just one more tree" syndrome. It can lead to things getting out of control and overwhelming fast.

Ruve

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you Paradox.

Yes a sturdy breeze was my first concern with them on the edge of the balcony like that. I keep constant vigilance on the weather and am sure to bring them down to the floor if it gets too windy. I had to bring them down just the other night actually. It's south east facing so the morning and early afternoon sun with the shaded afternoon evening is fantastic.

I definitely agree with the one more tree syndrome being a problem. The key is awareness. As long as you can give the tree what it needs and it is something that will bring joy and not become a burden, just go for it. That's my view.

I have all the species I am after with the exception of perhaps a maple of some form and a hinoki cypress.

Appreciate the feedback and admire your experience. Thanks.

Top Bottom