New to bonsai, first attempts (Jap Maple/Cypress)

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello all, I've just joined the forum.

Recently I've been watching a lot of bonsai videos on youtube, and thought I'd like to give it a try. Over the weekend we walked around our local nursery but wasn't able to find any beginner friendly species. The only thing I was able to find were three Japanses Maples in 4" pots. They were each about 2 to 3 foot tall, and only had a few "branches" coming from the top. The nursery owner explained that if I cut the trunks down, new growth would come in. So after watching a few grafting videos, I gave it an attempt. Pics below. It's probably all kinds of wrong, but we'll see what happens.

We also went to the local big box store to look for some juniper species after not being able to find any at the nursery, and the only thing remotely close to what I was looking for was an italian cypress. It apparently grows very tall and slender. I took it home and tried my best.

I'd like to hear any positive steps I've made, or any errors that I created so that I can give this another try. We are going to go to another nursery next weekend to look for a better beginner juniper species.

TIA!

IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4711.JPG

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well I wish I had seen this video before I hacked my maples. Looks like I needed to let them grow for a few years first to get some trunk size.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only thing I didn’t like about the video is he didn’t mention the cambium layer. Inadequate removal could have negative effects on the process.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After a day, I think only one of my maple grafts worked. The leaves on the other two are drying up.
IMG_4714.JPG

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, all of the leaves have dried up over the last week, but the branches that I grafted are still green as ever. Additionally, in only 6 days time since cutting the stems (trunks?), I already have new buds coming out!

IMG_4757.JPG IMG_4756.JPG IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4751.JPG

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After 20 days they seem to be growing great! I took the "grafts" that I attempted out. The cut marks are still there but it doesn't seem to phase the trees. I know its too early to tell but I REALLY think I have a red variety.
IMG_4995.JPG IMG_4994.JPG IMG_4995.JPG

Top Bottom