New to Bonsai from NJ

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trees are waking up. Anyone interested in getting added to my shared spreadsheet of my trees and my care, please pm me with your email. This is done in Google Sheets so anyone with a gmail address would be able to view this in browser.

Screenshot_20210409-200318_Sheets.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pruned the crabapple forest today. Hoping for a bunch of lateral growth through the middle of the season. Took off a substantial amount of top growth.

Before:
20210513_235505.jpg

After, from intended new front of planting. This needs a repot next year and will repot at this orientation.
20210514_001019.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did a couple air layers for landscape trees today. The first is a doublefile viburnum. This is my second air layer off this mother plant. The first one took no problem.
20210516_160407.jpg

The second is a weeping cherry. This is my first off this tree. I want to put a second tree on the side of our driveway to match this one.
20210516_171626.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had a couple of these Osage Orange trees to mess around with today.

First is this twin trunk planting. Thinking of keeping them together so I twisted them up good into what I feel like may work out good. These are flexible. Native Americans used them to make their bows. I used typical #10 THHN solid copper for the trunks to make sure they stay put.
20210522_204914.jpg
20210522_205834.jpg
20210522_210431.jpg
20210522_210159.jpg

Second tree. I wired the future leader only with the intended angle change at repot next spring:
20210522_210823.jpg
20210522_211619.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice, is it also a nursey?? been looking for a decent nursery around central/north NJ.

No, just gardens. One of the better spots in NJ for horticulture. They take good care of the park and there is a nice rose garden there. You can do the whole park in about three hours patiently or about an hour just walking through. This saturday is the park's open house.

There is a bonsai nursery All Shapes in NJ... more west-central than north. Also Kifu is out in PA about another hour and a half but Bob has more specimen subjects than nursery stock.

Did you hear Darkthrone's new single that just released? Its quite doomy, obviously Sabbath influenced and caked over with. Lemmy-toned bass, but I also pick up hints of Witchfinder General's debut and Pagan Altar. I do like their recent albums. I think Circle The Wagons is the best of them but I always go back to their first four or five though ultimately. My favorite BM from Norway of that era is Burzum. Aeternus' first two records are all time favorites for Norwegiam BM, though they came out just slightly afterwards. I think of all those people, Ihsahn has remained the best musician creativity wise.

Currently in my cd shuffle: Ischemic (Doom/Death/BM- Canada), Askog (BM - Sweden), Radiation (Thrash - Slovakia), Trees Speak (Electronic/Ambient/Krautrock - USA - Arizona), Skorbvster (BM - USA - Tennessee).

Where in NY are you? Before pandemic I was at St. Vitus often for shows as well as the other typical spots. Next shows planned are Deicide in sept and Loudness in Nov. Both at Dingbatz in Clifton.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe its Fantoft Stave :) 🤘🤘🤘

btw i cant wait for 15th of June :) I had to do some presentation for work last week and i managed to use their new album cover on one of the slides :) no one even noticed lol

@Orion_metalhead - if you like Burzum, try to listen to Mgla - Exercises in Futility - start from this one :) there is also that guy from Greece - Animal Man Machine, he is good too :) similar vibe
in general early 90 BM is at their prime in my opinion.

btw new Scour album is great, btw Phil Anselmno also recorded couple of BM albums, Eibon - this could be one of the best project ever - check it out

by play list would vary on the mood - In general i would go:
Mgla Exercises
Burzum -Hvis lyset tar oss
Ashes - Ashes
Darkthrone - Transylvanian hunger
Pantera - Greatest Southern trendkill
Obituary - Slowely we Rot
Gnida - A.I.D.S
Deus Mortem
Gorefest, some Slayer, Cannibal Corpse etc....
and probably couple more :)

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
btw i cant wait for 15th of June :) I had to do some presentation for work last week and i managed to use their new album cover on one of the slides :) no one even noticed lol

@Orion_metalhead - if you like Burzum, try to listen to Mgla - Exercises in Futility - start from this one :) there is also that guy from Greece - Animal Man Machine, he is good too :) similar vibe
in general early 90 BM is at their prime in my opinion.

btw new Scour album is great, btw Phil Anselmno also recorded couple of BM albums, Eibon - this could be one of the best project ever - check it out

by play list would vary on the mood - In general i would go:
Mgla Exercises
Burzum -Hvis lyset tar oss
Ashes - Ashes
Darkthrone - Transylvanian hunger
Pantera - Greatest Southern trendkill
Obituary - Slowely we Rot
Gnida - A.I.D.S
Deus Mortem
Gorefest, some Slayer, Cannibal Corpse etc....
and probably couple more :)

I never cared for Mgla... seen em several times but they never did much for me... then a couple years ago when they refused to play a show because it was "hot" I lost all respect for them.

As far as classic BM goes...

1. Aeternus - ...And So The Night Became
2. Burzum - Filosophem
3. Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
4. Bathory - Twilight of the Gods
5. Mayhem - Deathcrush

Honorable mentions: Rotting Christ, Sacramentum, Blut Aus Nord

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And the irony is that when they played a sold out show a few years back in ny... the club was a sardine can and everyone left drenched in sweat. So no respect from me... I have more respect for the dude from Besatt who sent me a picture of his penis because I wouldnt promise a positive review of his album.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have it on Vinyl?
I had first pressing in 90s but i kinda sold a lot of stuff in early 2000 :( now i regret a lot
Nah, first presses are too pricey of BM for me... my friend's brother who sells vinyl and such has copies of Hordanes Land and such and the going price for those albums ranges between $500 and $1000.

My first presses are all US Power Metal relics and such.

Top Bottom