New to Bonsai from NJ

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dad said hes going to be digging these up in spring maybe... things are at least 25yrs old. I remember him planting them when I was a kid. He ordered a load of manure which smelled all summer long.

Any thoughts on collecting these??

20191221_165024.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dad said hes going to be digging these up in spring maybe... things are at least 25yrs old. I remember him planting them when I was a kid. He ordered a load of manure which smelled all summer long.

Any thoughts on collecting these??

View attachment 275185
Dig them up in late winter, early spring. Make a custom box out of pine boards, fill with pure pumice and water carefully.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have air layered and done cuttings on black locust. They're pretty easy to root actually! I started them in winter, and halfway through spring they were on their own roots. The air layers took till summer. For some reason though, the snails found them. After the spring flush, they were continuously grazed to the death by snails. I learned the hard way that black locust can be defoliated three times before it gives up and dies.
If you're going to work with black locust, get some yourself some copper tape and make some good snail traps.

From seed they're not affected. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because I've sown them later in the season when the snails were already on their retreat.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I asked for a pneumatic nail gun for christmas so I can make grow boxes super easy. Free pallet wood from work, a few cuts and bam.... nice grow boxes.

Good info on the locust @Wires_Guy_wires. Im going to try doing a high ground layer above the bottom of the trunk.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I asked for a pneumatic nail gun for christmas so I can make grow boxes super easy. Free pallet wood from work, a few cuts and bam.... nice grow boxes.

Good info on the locust @Wires_Guy_wires. Im going to try doing a high ground layer above the bottom of the trunk.

If you are on the naughty list, screws work also 😂

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Started stratifying my seeds for 2020:

Pin oak
Douglas fir
Lodgepole pine
American larch
Two types of apple (for espallier fruit trees)
Chinese rain tree
Northeastern Hemlock
Roses

20200105_231510.jpg

I also have some other stuff in another place mixed up which includes tulip tree, red oak, spruce, and some unknown pines species.

I built a light setup as well for $30. This set up is 4ft long with (2) 6500K LED bulbs which output 1800 lumens each for a total of 3600 lumen output. The fixture was $24 and the cord was $7. I simply cut the end off the extension cord, wired the fixture ends to the extension cord and now have a moveable plug-in grow light for use during the cold season and to start my vegetable seeds indoors.

20200105_231517.jpg

Nice drive to work today:

20200106_081827.jpg
20200106_081826.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This citronella (Pelargonium) is going on three years now. Every winter it goes in my attic. It grows better in my attic than it does outside. I give it no additional light other than what the single 30x60 100yr old south facing window lets in.

I even had it flower last year as spring rolled around. It grows better here than outside. I took cuttings from it last year which are growing well next to it too. No clue what the deal is.

20200114_232110.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
20200115_204202.jpg
Now listening: Ataraxie - Resignes. Interview up on my site. Excellent French Death Doom

20200115_222109.jpg
Cactus update. These are growing well. Theres a ton of them in this box. Not sure what Im going to do with them ultimately.

20200115_222119.jpg
Close up of one particularly crowded area. You can see the clump of smaller ones that I started later on in the summer wedged in there too. Probably got 100 cactii in this 5"x5" box. Water em once a week.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really nice man, i've never listen to them, will give it a go once i will feed my Morbid Angel hunger :)
and fair play with cactus, i tried to grow them before with not much luck.
I also try the unusual plants, ive dwarf Geranium that im trying to style as bonsai, will take photos over the weekend to show,
btw spring is coming, i cant wait :)

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 278980
Now listening: Ataraxie - Resignes. Interview up on my site. Excellent French Death Doom

View attachment 278981
Cactus update. These are growing well. Theres a ton of them in this box. Not sure what Im going to do with them ultimately.

View attachment 278982
Close up of one particularly crowded area. You can see the clump of smaller ones that I started later on in the summer wedged in there too. Probably got 100 cactii in this 5"x5" box. Water em once a week.
I think it was Benjamin Franklin who once said, “There are only two things certain in life: death doom and cactus”. Something like that anyway....

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really nice man, i've never listen to them, will give it a go once i will feed my Morbid Angel hunger :)

Startbwith Anhedonie. Its their most well known album.

I think it was Benjamin Franklin who once said, “There are only two things certain in life: death doom and cactus”. Something like that anyway....

That was actually Jefferson who said that.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lovely pots, specially the small one.
I really admire you got time to do all the updates etc, im always tend to do it but at the end of a day ive no time or power :)
I will try to be better :)

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
good find on the Dirr.

I'm interested in the future plans for the shore pine.

Shore pine this year is going to be let grow unobstrubstucted mostly. Ill be removing a couple branches that cross my intended front. Need to do some research on further care. I need to chase back some foliage if possible. Needs to get some strength in it.

Top Bottom