New to Bonsai from Texas

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone, I just recently got into the hobby of bonsai and picked up 2 bonsai trees, a chinese elm and a cork bark jade. I'm just looking for some advice on my newly acquired trees as I'm really excited about them.

On my chinese elm, what should I do about the branch growing at the base? Should I cut it off or? Just seems out of place and weird to me. Also, what can I do with it as of right now? I want to get my hands dirty bit I just feel like it needs to just sit and grow lol.

For the jade, can I start pruning it at all? Again, it's hard to have these and be new to the hobby and not want to do something with them lol. Any suggestions you guys can lend me?

The plants are indoors right now about 6inches from my T5s and on a 18/6 light cycle. Should I keep this like this for the winter? I've thought about the idea of putting them outdoors but the temperatures here between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and down to around the 40s at night. Is that too cold or will they do fine?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chinese elm is perfectly fine at those temps. In fact it can probably be outside all year in Texas. I don't move mine into winter storage until it gets below 28 F. I would not do anything to the elm it does not look that healthy. If you choose to move it outside bring into into the sun gradually so as to not shock the tree. While it is building up strength do some sketches of how you want to develop it. Review other trees determine what you like.

I move my jade's under lights around 45 F. So it could be outside during the day.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chinese elm is perfectly fine at those temps. In fact it can probably be outside all year in Texas. I don't move mine into winter storage until it gets below 28 F. I would not do anything to the elm it does not look that healthy. If you choose to move it outside bring into into the sun gradually so as to not shock the tree. While it is building up strength do some sketches of how you want to develop it. Review other trees determine what you like.

I move my jade's under lights around 45 F. So it could be outside during the day.
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I got the Chinese elm this way and it really hasn't done much since I've had it that I can tell. I've had it about 2 weeks I'd say. I think I will move them both outside in the morning. What would you do (not now) about the branch that is growing horizontally at the base?

As for the jade, just leave it as well?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where in Texas do you live? It really helps to have your location and zone in your profile.

Your only goal until spring is to keep them alive and healthy. This probably means the elm should go outside for the winter, and the jade stays in the house. In late winter or very early spring you can repot the elm if it needs it. The pot is a reasonable size and the soil doesn't look bad. If the drainage is good it doesn't need to be repotted. Take good care of it next spring by fertilizing when growth starts and let it grow and regain strength. Assuming it does well, you could do some pruning in mid or late spring.

Don't move the jade outside until temperatures are above 50 at night. When the weather is truly warm (night temps in the 60s) you can repot and prune if needed. The jade looks much healthier than the elm, so you can do more work on it next year.

Show us photos next spring before you do anything drastic. Good luck!

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where in Texas do you live? It really helps to have your location and zone in your profile.

Your only goal until spring is to keep them alive and healthy. This probably means the elm should go outside for the winter, and the jade stays in the house. In late winter or very early spring you can repot the elm if it needs it. The pot is a reasonable size and the soil doesn't look bad. If the drainage is good it doesn't need to be repotted. Take good care of it next spring by fertilizing when growth starts and let it grow and regain strength. Assuming it does well, you could do some pruning in mid or late spring.

Don't move the jade outside until temperatures are above 50 at night. When the weather is truly warm (night temps in the 60s) you can repot and prune if needed. The jade looks much healthier than the elm, so you can do more work on it next year.

Show us photos next spring before you do anything drastic. Good luck!
Hey Michael, I appreciate the feedback! I've updated my profile with my location and zone. I'm in Central Texas, zone 8b.

Looks like I will be taking your suggestions and moving the elm outside and just leaving it alone aside from watering. Did you have any suggestions for the horizontal branch growing at the base?

I'll keep the jade indoors for now under my T5 fluorescent light. Is 18 hours of light good or bad? What is the recommended light schedule for indoor bonsai during this time of year?

I will definitely update with more pictures next year! I'm researching on air layering right now because I have an awesome Texas Red Oak in my yard I'd love to bonsai! I see a lot of trees in my near future! Lol it will give me more to do while others are growing.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am not really a fan of these s shaped trunks so I might let this guy grow and mull it over. That lower branch could be the next leader to create some taper.
What do you mean by mull it over?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'd cut that elm back TO that first branch.

And now.

Give em hell.

What's somebody gonna say?

Sssssssssssss!

Sorce

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And I'm not sure we are on the same page. I understand what you guys are saying as far as chopping it to the first lower branch. However, I was asking about the one growing at the dirt as seen in the second picture.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to Crazy!

I'd cut that elm back TO that first branch.

And now.

Give em hell.

What's somebody gonna say?

Sssssssssssss!

Sorce
Really! You dont like the look of the S shaped trunk either? It seems all the chinese elms I've seen have this shaped trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really! You dont like the look of the S shaped trunk either? It seems all the chinese elms I've seen have this shaped trunk.

It's not that I, or anyone, doesn't like it. When you see them by the thousands, all the same, they just get old. Like within a million Toyota Corollas, the Bonsai is a different kinda green.c2607a1c85acc7c416eb3ea5db06f99d.gif

So the goal becomes, trick out that S.

Make it something no one has seen before.

And then you get to do something too!
But if you do that's it till next fallish. No nothing else but fert and water till then.

You could make a forest of jade cuttings and grow them up all winter too.

Sorce

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not that I, or anyone, doesn't like it. When you see them by the thousands, all the same, they just get old. Like within a million Toyota Corollas, the Bonsai is a different kinda green.View attachment 273216

So the goal becomes, trick out that S.

Make it something no one has seen before.

And then you get to do something too!
But if you do that's it till next fallish. No nothing else but fert and water till then.

You could make a forest of jade cuttings and grow them up all winter too.

Sorce
Sounds like I need more trees!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you mean by mull it over?
I find looking at my trees over time allows me to see the future design. I am fairly new to bonsai and getting ideas takes me time.

I am not sure what you mean by the branch coming out near the soil. It looks like a rot to me.

If all you have seen is s shaped Chinese elms you aren't looking in the right locations. Browse the elm forum here. Check out a local bonsai club.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find looking at my trees over time allows me to see the future design. I am fairly new to bonsai and getting ideas takes me time.

I am not sure what you mean by the branch coming out near the soil. It looks like a rot to me.

If all you have seen is s shaped Chinese elms you aren't looking in the right locations. Browse the elm forum here. Check out a local bonsai club.
Looks like I have some research to do. I moved it outside this morning though. This is what I'm talking about. This is rot? Do I remove it?273256

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I got the Chinese elm this way and it really hasn't done much since I've had it that I can tell. I've had it about 2 weeks I'd say. I think I will move them both outside in the morning. What would you do (not now) about the branch that is growing horizontally at the base?

As for the jade, just leave it as well?
Chinese elm will be completely fine outside 24/7/365 in your location-might provide some protection from temps under 25 or so --putting the tree in its pot into a pile of shredded mulch during times like that is the best solution.. I'd also guess the jade would be too, although, I'd bring it inside if temps are to be under 30 for a longer period, like a couple of days.

Trees, like other plants, don't like to move. They don't do that in nature ;-). constantly brining them inside and putting them back out doesn't allow them to acclimate to either place -- inside and outside conditions are vastly different, with inside conditions being the worst for them (low light, low humidity, no air circulation).

FWIW, there are more than a couple native tree species in Texas (and particularly in your area) that have been used to make bonsai for a very long time. Cedar elm, ashe juniper, hackberry, like oak, Texas persimmon, are all bonsai candidates as you get more experience in keeping bonsai.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chinese elm will be completely fine outside 24/7/365 in your location-might provide some protection from temps under 25 or so --putting the tree in its pot into a pile of shredded mulch during times like that is the best solution.. I'd also guess the jade would be too, although, I'd bring it inside if temps are to be under 30 for a longer period, like a couple of days.

Trees, like other plants, don't like to move. They don't do that in nature ;-). constantly brining them inside and putting them back out doesn't allow them to acclimate to either place -- inside and outside conditions are vastly different, with inside conditions being the worst for them (low light, low humidity, no air circulation).

FWIW, there are more than a couple native tree species in Texas (and particularly in your area) that have been used to make bonsai for a very long time. Cedar elm, ashe juniper, hackberry, like oak, Texas persimmon, are all bonsai candidates as you get more experience in keeping bonsai.
I'm working on building an area for my bonsai and other plants outdoors, so I'll likely move the jade outdoors as well. I have a few native trees on my list to get and work on, like the live Oak and texas persimmon. I have a few texas red Oaks in my yard I'd like to try and air layer.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looks like I have some research to do. I moved it outside this morning though. This is what I'm talking about. This is rot? Do I remove it?View attachment 273256
That is a root you have circled in red. I am sure it is alive and well. DO NOT cut it off as half the tree might die.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a root you have circled in red. I am sure it is alive and well. DO NOT cut it off as half the tree might die.
Thanks Peter! I thought that it could possibly be a root but wasn't really sure. I guess it stays, it just looked a little funky to me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm working on building an area for my bonsai and other plants outdoors, so I'll likely move the jade outdoors as well. I have a few native trees on my list to get and work on, like the live Oak and texas persimmon. I have a few texas red Oaks in my yard I'd like to try and air layer.
Skip the air layering. Not easy to do. Mostly a waste of time. If you're after natives, look at the first two feet of an in-ground trunk.

I've got a bonsai made from a Live oak collected near Salado-trunk was originally 25 feet tall, but the bottom two feet made it worth digging out. Live oak are NOT easy to dig, same can be true for Texas persimmon. Cedar elm is much much easier and more forgiving with mistakes.

Top Bottom